Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure washers

I have just bought my fourth pressure washer in six years.
The first was a Karcher and it was junk The last was from "Active
Products" and it lasted one year, almost to the date but, of course,
until after the warranty expired.
They do not get heavy use.
Am I just unlucky? I'd like to hear of other experiences. Maybe I'm
going something wrong.
I suspect the problem on the latest unit is failure of the little
spring loaded pressure switch that attaches to the pump inside the
cowling..
Is this fixable? More to the point, with washers going as cheap as
$90, is it worth fixing?
Would I have better luck with a gas driven model?
Tx
ds
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 3:16*pm, DS wrote:
I have just bought my fourth pressure washer in six years.
The first was a Karcher and it was junk The last was from "Active
Products" and it lasted one year, almost to the date but, of course,
until after the warranty expired.
They do not get heavy use.
Am I just unlucky? I'd like to hear of other experiences. Maybe I'm
going something wrong.
I suspect the problem on the latest unit is failure of the little
spring loaded pressure switch that attaches to the pump inside the
cowling..
Is this fixable? More to the point, with washers going as cheap as
$90, is it worth fixing?
Would I have better luck with a gas driven model?
Tx
ds

My Karcher is maybe 7 yrs old and gets maybe 8-20 hrs a year, my
friends is 12 yrs and is used weekly commercialy. What blows, do you
turn on the pump before water is through the system and all air is
out, is voltage good, did they freeze. With things china made who can
know what quality is anymore. It seems like most things are just made
cheap. HD offers some of the best warrantys on power tools and my shop
vac, maybe they have a better warranty on power washers, but I dont
know. Before I got the Karcher, in one afternoon I blew out 2, 100$
chinese Generacs, there is alot of junk being sold these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
..
. On Jun 23, 4:16 pm, DS wrote:
I have just bought my fourth pressure washer in six years.
The first was a Karcher and it was junk The last was from "Active
Products" and it lasted one year, almost to the date but, of course,
until after the warranty expired.
They do not get heavy use.
Am I just unlucky? I'd like to hear of other experiences. Maybe I'm
going something wrong.
I suspect the problem on the latest unit is failure of the little
spring loaded pressure switch that attaches to the pump inside the
cowling..
Is this fixable? More to the point, with washers going as cheap as
$90, is it worth fixing?
Would I have better luck with a gas driven model?

Buying cheap pressure washers merely morphs what should be a capital
expenditure into multiple purchases of consumables.

The cheap pressure washers are junk and not worth the money unless you
justify the purchase as being in lieu or hiring someone to do it, or
renting a unit. That's perfectly acceptable logic, but the problem is
you get to keep the pressure washer, and no doubt have intentions of
using it again, only to find that they're less than reliable.

The customer service I've encountered with my one mistake buying a
cheap one was laughable. The customer service rep was starting to
take offense when I pointed out that a wand splitting along the seam
under normal operating pressure is a clear indication of a
manufacturing problem, and should be covered by the warranty. He dug
in his heels, I opened my wallet to another manufacturer.

Cheap power washers are disposable. I had one cheap pink Chinese one
that still works, but the hose connector galled on there making it
impossible to put on a hose, and I ****ed it all up trying to get it
off.

I had a $100 Husky take a **** on me after only using it about six
times. But it WAS over a year old, as the store manager told me, so
warranty was not an issue. Husky sent me a repair kit. Do you know
how complex the inside of one of those thing is? Well, this one was
pretty complex. I took the cases apart, and springs started popping
and ball bearing check valves started to fly. I put it all in a box,
including the pristine wall hanger unit, and all the crap they give
you with the new one and took it to Home Depot and just said to return
it to the manufacturer with the message that I'd never buy Husky
again, and tell everyone within earshot not to do the same.

So: DO NOT BUY HUSKY PRESSURE WASHERS. THEY ARE A $100 PIECE OF
****.

There, I feel better. Take that, Husky!

But I am in the market for a power driven one, once I can convince her
that I need to spend $500 to buy an aid to wash my truck.

I did get a Karcher the other day at a yard sale, and the housing
leaks badly during use, but for ten bucks, the pressure is good, and
I'm sure I'll get ten bucks out of it.

So, I'd like to hear what's a good brand of gas drive power washer,
too.

I took the cases apart, and springs started popping
and ball bearing check valves started to fly.

Is this it Steve?

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/8978/c.../89785g16L.gif

No, I guess not. Just a Holly 4bbl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:16:55 -0700 (PDT), DS wrote:

I have just bought my fourth pressure washer in six years.
The first was a Karcher and it was junk The last was from "Active
Products" and it lasted one year, almost to the date but, of course,
until after the warranty expired.
They do not get heavy use.
Am I just unlucky? I'd like to hear of other experiences. Maybe I'm
going something wrong.
I suspect the problem on the latest unit is failure of the little
spring loaded pressure switch that attaches to the pump inside the
cowling..
Is this fixable? More to the point, with washers going as cheap as
$90, is it worth fixing?
Would I have better luck with a gas driven model?
Tx
ds

I'm wondering if pressure washers are really needed. I've had a house
for 20 years and have not used a pressure washer, altough considered
one that would operate with my 20-gallon 5HP air compressor.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Jun 24, 6:49*am, Phisherman wrote:
[...]

one that would operate with my 20-gallon 5HP air compressor.- Hide quoted text -

You get what you pay for. I've a honda pressure washer, mower,
snowblower all 15+ years old. They all perform as if new (regular
servicing). Same goes for the 1990 accord in the driveway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm in much the same situation. My latest one is from Home
Depot, because it was the only one I could find with a metal
housing. Where the high pressure hose hooks on, it's zinc
die cast, not plastic.

The two I had before that. One was Sears electric (red), off
Ebay. Bad pressure switch. And then a blue Campbell
Hausfield, that cracked the high pressure outlet.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 4:49*am, Phisherman wrote:

I'm wondering if pressure washers are really needed. *I've had a house
for 20 years and have not used a pressure washer, altough considered
one that would operate with my 20-gallon 5HP air compressor.

If you had one you'd find all sort of uses for it. It's a very useful
addition to the home maintenance arsenal. It's tough to beat for most
outdoor cleaning projects and for prepping a house for painting.

If you don't use a pressure washer you end up using a lot more effort
and/or a lot more chemicals. I also think it's a regional thing. In
wetter parts of the country, where stuff grows on everything, they're
almost indispensable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:16:55 -0700 (PDT), DS wrote:

I have just bought my fourth pressure washer in six years.
The first was a Karcher and it was junk The last was from "Active
Products" and it lasted one year, almost to the date but, of course,
until after the warranty expired.
They do not get heavy use.
Am I just unlucky? I'd like to hear of other experiences. Maybe I'm
going something wrong.

Did you read the manual? Explain a typical use.

Pressure washers Rich Home Repair 5 February 26th 07 02:07 PM
Pressure Washers? Paul Hutchings UK diy 29 March 29th 05 07:22 PM
Pressure washers Broadback UK diy 1 January 4th 05 01:57 PM
Pressure washers Robert UK diy 3 October 28th 04 08:41 PM
Pressure Washers? don h Home Repair 16 June 9th 04 07:52 PM