Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sewer line replacement

Recent video inspection revealed that my 40 year old cast iron pipe under
the concrete slab is deteriated to the point of needing total replacement.
Some spots the bottom has reduced to nothing, some spots the corrosion build
up looks like the inside of a cave...two independent video inspections
recommend total line replacement.

I have not yet done the finished flooring in the house, so I guess it's good
news I found out now.

In order to replace the entire underground line, I can find a way to
determine exactly where it is (no, no records in the city I checked
already), and cut up the slab and hope for the best. Or I can just ignore
where the existing line is and just design a new route.

It seems designing a new route but tying in existing bathroom group has the
advantage of not having to pinpoint exact locations of the line but only
specific locations where the existing bath groups tie in. And since I am
doing remodeling, 3 of the 4 baths I know where they tie in and I have not
backfill with concrete yet.

Doing a new line has the advantage of avoiding cutting a trench across
existing walls, I can possibly cut a line along a hallway in a straight
shot, but run the risk of running into other pipes below grade that may be
in the way (pool pump lines, supply lines, deck drain lines, roof drain
lines).

What is the ramification to the structure of the slab is it's a 90'x90' slab
and I cut a 90' lone trench across it?

Is there any sense in not making a single 90' cut, but say 8 10' cuts with
several 2' sections uncut and I try to bridge under it will that "hurt" the
structure any less?

I am laying in new 4" PVC pipe so the trench would be around 6" wide only
except where I am doing tie ins.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 2:55�pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

given the obstructions have you priced having the existing line
cleaned and lined?

a plastic liner is inserted and expanded with hot water which cures
the line creating a seemless line.

might be a affordable alternative saving lots of restoration work
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 12:45:32 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

given the obstructions have you priced having the existing line
cleaned and lined?

a plastic liner is inserted and expanded with hot water which cures
the line creating a seemless line.

I might consider a single "lined" water pipe running across a
foundation.

Never would I consider it for a sewer pipe. His permit office can
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

[...]

There are people that have equipment to find pipes and cable below grade and
they are very accurate.

You don't have to cut a full length trench if you think you'd get any
movement due to the cut out portion. It is possible to work under a bridge
across the two slab sections.

I'm not sure that 6" is going to be wide enough to properly excavate. How
deep will you be going? How are you removing the dirt?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message
[...]

The existing line is 3" cast iron. In most spots it's already corroded to
the point the cross section is not even circular. I was told cleaning it
with a snake will probably cause the pipe to collapse further/

The lining, if it works, I was told, will end up creating a non-circular
pipe hugging the shape of the existing condition.

I have 4 baths, 1 kitchen, 1 utility, and one outdoor kitchen tie in along
the way, those tie in locations have to be totally cut up because the liner
would block all six tie in points. So they have to be opened up to cut the
opening because there is no way to cut some of these tie in where they are
2" in size. If I make 6 large holes along the way, it's almost like doing
60% of the work.

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
[...]

Do you have fire insurance?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:00:23 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I have 4 baths, 1 kitchen, 1 utility, and one outdoor kitchen

If this is Coconut Grove, Fl follow the local ordinances.

Pic of the "grove":

http://www.scrapbooksuperstars.com/w...onut_grove.gif

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 11:55*am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

MC-

Instead of cut, dig & re-route OR relining the old pipe........I
would suggest looking into "pipe bursting" replacement.

I'd much rather dig 6 holes to tie into a "pipe bursting" installed
new line rather than cut, trench and replace. But you have a better
idea of the layout.

Digging a deep but narrow trench is a real PITA.....how deep will the
trench need to be?

My neighbot had his line replaced via pipe pbursting....about 70' from
sidewalk to sewer line exit from house.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 1:55*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

You could bore under the slab and push the pipe from outside. you
would have to do several bores to accommodate the various drains and
an excavation to tie it all together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

fftt wrote:
MC-

Instead of cut, dig & re-route OR relining the old pipe........I
would suggest looking into "pipe bursting" replacement.

I'd much rather dig 6 holes to tie into a "pipe bursting" installed
new line rather than cut, trench and replace. But you have a better
idea of the layout.

Digging a deep but narrow trench is a real PITA.....how deep will the
trench need to be?

My neighbot had his line replaced via pipe pbursting....about 70' from
sidewalk to sewer line exit from house.

Is that what they call it? About a year ago my city replaced our 8"
concrete-pipe sewer main with a 10" plastic-of-some-kind using what I
believe is that technique. They started at one end of the block
thump-thump-thumping the new pipe inside the old one, fracturing the old
pipe as they went.

Then they went into everybody's back yard with an itty-bitty back hoe (about
the size of a riding lawnmower) and dug down about eight feet to tie folks'
sewers into the new line.

Ain't technology grand?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
[...]

I will need to look into that. However, the worry I have is any horizontal
bores will end up cutting or breaking anything in it's way including copper
supply lines, pool pump lines, deck drain lines, roof drain lines, those are
all running under the slab across the sewer line either above or below.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse | 2009-06-21 | 1:55:58 PM wrote:

What is the ramification to the structure of the slab is it's a
90'x90' slab and I cut a 90' lone trench across it?

Is there any sense in not making a single 90' cut, but say 8 10' cuts
with several 2' sections uncut and I try to bridge under it will that
"hurt" the structure any less?

Is it a post-tensioned slab? A long cut would compromise the cables.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote in message
a.org...
MiamiCuse | 2009-06-21 | 1:55:58 PM wrote:

What is the ramification to the structure of the slab is it's a
90'x90' slab and I cut a 90' lone trench across it?

Is there any sense in not making a single 90' cut, but say 8 10' cuts
with several 2' sections uncut and I try to bridge under it will that
"hurt" the structure any less?

Is it a post-tensioned slab? A long cut would compromise the cables.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Arlington, TX USA

Just 4" thick concrete slab, I have cut open a few spots in bathrooms for
plumbing relocation and all I found so far were embedded wire meshes but no
rebar no cables. Soil underneath is basically sand. Thanx.