Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bath tub Liner vs. Reglazing

Hi,
Our main bathroom tub suffered a damage by falling object creating
chipped away glazing. Bathroom overall(vanity, toilet, floor, tile
walls) being in very good shape, I am wondering if I can have the tub
relined with acrylic molded form or have it reglazed. Any opinions
between this two options or do I need a new tub.
TIA,
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Our main bathroom tub suffered a damage by falling object creating
chipped away glazing. Bathroom overall(vanity, toilet, floor, tile walls)
being in very good shape, I am wondering if I can have the tub relined
with acrylic molded form or have it reglazed. Any opinions
between this two options or do I need a new tub.
TIA,

Tony,

I had my tub reglazed over 5 years ago and it was $350. 5 years have gone
by and it still looks brand new. I too had a chip in a prominant location
on the edge of my tub - the repair guy used a bondo-like substance and
sanded it smooth to match the contours of the surrounding surface. the
chipped spot dissapeared - about the size of a quarter - and the glazing
still looks great. The whole process took about 4 hours. Not sure about
the acrylic option as I have not seen that done before.

Good luck!

Djay

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Djay" wrote in :

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
[...]

to add more;you need to exercise care when cleaning a refinished tub.
No abrasive cleaners,no bleaches.(causes yellowing in epoxy finishes)
"Tough as Tile" recommends Simple Green as a cleaner.

I've read that the urethane finishes don't have the yellowing problem.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had two tubs reglazed. At my old house they did a fantastic job and it
held up great. This one, a sloppy job and it's already showing through. So
if you go with reglazing, ask for references.

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Our main bathroom tub suffered a damage by falling object creating
chipped away glazing. Bathroom overall(vanity, toilet, floor, tile walls)
being in very good shape, I am wondering if I can have the tub relined
with acrylic molded form or have it reglazed. Any opinions
between this two options or do I need a new tub.
TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang | 2009-06-19 | 11:25:35 PM wrote:

Our main bathroom tub suffered a damage by falling object creating
chipped away glazing. Bathroom overall(vanity, toilet, floor, tile
walls) being in very good shape, I am wondering if I can have the tub
relined with acrylic molded form or have it reglazed. Any opinions
between this two options or do I need a new tub. TIA,

The liners can leak around the drain, letting water between the liner
and the tub. One I used at a motel was so bad I thought I was standing
on a waterbed.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote:

The liners can leak around the drain, letting water between the liner
and the tub. One I used at a motel was so bad I thought I was standing
on a waterbed.

I've had similar experiences when staying at remodeled hotels. I would avoid the
liner idea if at all possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 6:28*pm, Robert Neville wrote:
"SteveBell" wrote:
The liners can leak around the drain, letting water between the liner
and the tub. One I used at a motel was so bad I thought I was standing
on a waterbed.

I've had similar experiences when staying at remodeled hotels. I would avoid the
liner idea if at all possible.

We had the tub refinished in our hall bath. It lasted about five
years and was not very expensive to do at that time. I finally re-did
the bathroom last year and got a new tub and tile. I got estimates
on those shower liners/tub liners and they cost more than having a new
tub installed with new ceramic tile. Don't know how long they last,
but the estimated cost were a lot higher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveBell" wrote:
The liners can leak around the drain, letting water between the liner
and the tub. One I used at a motel was so bad I thought I was standing
on a waterbed.

I've had similar experiences when staying at remodeled hotels. I would avoid the
liner idea if at all possible.

We had the tub refinished in our hall bath. �It lasted about five
years and was not very expensive to do at that time. �I finally re-did
the bathroom last year and got a new tub and tile. � I got estimates
on those shower liners/tub liners and they cost more than having a new
tub installed with new ceramic tile. �Don't know how long they last,
but the estimated cost were a lot higher.

the liners were originally designed for hotels, to get a few more
years out of older tubs, delaying gutting the bathroom

nothing you choose is perfect

Bath Tub reglazing blan Home Repair 5 April 8th 07 05:26 AM
Reglazing cast-iron tubs? Does it work? [email protected] Home Repair 9 September 21st 06 02:48 AM
Reglazing suggestions? TonyK UK diy 10 September 14th 06 12:02 PM
Remove old pool liner before putting in new liner??? Mary Home Repair 1 June 17th 06 01:10 AM
Bathroom tile reglazing --- Glas-Tech9000 system -- anyone have comments? Home Repair 0 February 17th 05 11:34 PM