DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Switching Land Line Phone Companies (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/280519-switching-land-line-phone-companies.html)

Murriel[_4_] June 18th 09 01:34 AM

Switching Land Line Phone Companies

Is it true that if you switch to a local mom & pop outfit, Verizon
still has to correct infrastructure problems such as static that
emanates from outside the house?

If so, how does this work? Do you complain to your new local phone
provider who then contacts Verizon?

Will Verizon still deliver phone directories to you even though you
have dumped them? Thanks.

RBM[_2_] June 18th 09 01:53 AM

"Murriel" wrote in message
Is it true that if you switch to a local mom & pop outfit, Verizon
still has to correct infrastructure problems such as static that
emanates from outside the house?

If so, how does this work? Do you complain to your new local phone
provider who then contacts Verizon?

Will Verizon still deliver phone directories to you even though you
have dumped them? Thanks.

You address your complaints directly to the new phone company, they, in turn
contact Verizon to initialize a repair request. The advantage to this method
is that you won't have to hear Verizon rolling on the floor laughing at you,
and in truth, you'll get service from Verizon, just as soon as ALL of their
regular customers are taken care of, or hell freezes over, whichever comes
first. I'd recommend voip

Art Todesco June 18th 09 03:55 AM

RBM wrote:
"Murriel" wrote in message
Is it true that if you switch to a local mom & pop outfit, Verizon
still has to correct infrastructure problems such as static that
emanates from outside the house?

If so, how does this work? Do you complain to your new local phone
provider who then contacts Verizon?

Will Verizon still deliver phone directories to you even though you
have dumped them? Thanks.

You address your complaints directly to the new phone company, they, in turn
contact Verizon to initialize a repair request. The advantage to this method
is that you won't have to hear Verizon rolling on the floor laughing at you,
and in truth, you'll get service from Verizon, just as soon as ALL of their
regular customers are taken care of, or hell freezes over, whichever comes
first. I'd recommend voip

Well, as far as I can see, Verizon over
copper is the worse service I have
ever seen. My line here in western NC
has so much 60 Hz longitudinal hum
and clicking an popping. I never saw
this in IL. BTW, Verizon has just
announced they sold their land based
line business to Frontier. I don't know
anything
about them, but I don't think it can get
too much worse. Also, VOIP over
my Verizon DSL wouldn't work. There is
far to much slow downs in speed
and at times, the service just seems to
stop for a few seconds.

Jim Redelfs June 18th 09 04:26 AM

Switching Land Line Phone Companies

In article ,
(Murriel) wrote:

Is it true that if you switch to a local mom & pop outfit, Verizon
still has to correct infrastructure problems such as static that
emanates from outside the house?

Yes, if your "mom & pop outfit" uses Verizon's facilities.

If so, how does this work? Do you complain to your new local phone
provider who then contacts Verizon?

Yes. You deal SOLELY with your new phone company - for service orders,
repair requests - everything. They, in turn, pass the issue to Verizon.

Many "mom and pop" telcos keep banker's hours, live answering calls only
between 8-5, Monday through Friday, whether for billing inquiries,
service orders or repair reports.

Will Verizon still deliver phone directories to you even though you
have dumped them?

That's hard to say and probably depends on the provisions of their
contract with your new "mom and pop" telco.

With competition in the directory business, many (most?) "incumbent"
telcos quit allowing their technicians to carry the grandfathered
directory on their van for delivery to customers lest the competing
company/companies cry "foul" and require the techs to deliver EVERYONE's
directory.

A simple call to the directory company of your choice should have any
number of FREE books on your porch in a few days.
--
:)
JR

Power Mac G4 1.25 GHz SP
Mac OS X 10.5.7

Ulysses June 18th 09 04:27 PM

"RBM" wrote in message

"Murriel" wrote in message
[...]

Hell finally froze over and Verizon fixed my phone line. It only took seven
years. Sounds like it would have taken longer with a mom and pop company.
Mine used to go out whenever it got damp and when it rained it would make
long-distance calls and call 911 repeatedly. I cancelled my long distance
but they wouldn't let me cancel 911. One time the sheriff showed up in his
front-wheel drive cruizer when it was pouring down rain and I don't know how
he even made it down the dirt road in his car. After many complaints they
finally fixed the 911 problem and then it started calling 611 every time it
rained. At 95 cents per call it added up quickly. They would not let me
cancel 611. Now when it rains I can actually use my dialup service. I
managed to have all the bogus calls removed from my bills with Verizon. I
don't know if it would or would not have been as easy with another provider.
Verizon stinks but it could be worse.

HeyBub[_3_] June 18th 09 04:43 PM

Ulysses wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

"Murriel" wrote in message
[...]

Heh!

I used to get the cops knocking on my door about once a month in response to
a 911-hangup. After about a year, the problem was finally traced to a splice
on the cable. Some do-bads had tapped into our incoming fax line and were
using it to make local calls (there was no long-distance capability).
Evidently they were trying to call Honduras or Patagonia or somewhere whose
international calling prefix was +910 and missed.

RBM[_2_] June 18th 09 08:17 PM

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message

"Murriel" wrote in message
[...]

That's the sad truth. Lots of folks have had nightmare stories with whatever
carrier they have, but just when you believe that it couldn't get worse...

[email protected] June 18th 09 08:29 PM

On Jun 18, 11:43*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

"Murriel" wrote in message
[...]

Apparently this 911 calling due to a bad connection or short is
common. How it manages to get the right dialing combination is quite
amazing. I had it happen to me here in NJ. First, the phone
service was out one morning. Before calling Verizon, I thought I'd
just wait a couple hours and see if it came back. It did. But that
afternoon, the police showed up due to a 911 hangup call. Before
Verizon fixed it later that day, the police showed up again.

Ulysses June 19th 09 04:27 PM

Ulysses wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

"Murriel" wrote in message
[...]

First it was 911, then 411. Now, if I could get it do dial 611 then maybe
I'd be getting somewhere. When I complained about the long-distance calls
they told me that if I wasn't making them then someone was tapping into my
phone line--at 3 am in pouring down rain. Right. Never mind that I told
them the wires were crossed (shorted) and I could hear other people talking
on other phone lines. And never mind that it was not possible to even use
the phone line. At least not intentionally.

Ulysses June 20th 09 03:33 AM

Ulysses wrote:
"RBM" wrote in message

"Murriel" wrote in message
[...]

I got mixed up up there and said 611 when I meant 411 (Information). 611 is
repair, or used to be. Now it's more like "we are going to put you on hold
for 20 minutes and try to sell you a bunch of services for your phone that
doesn't work instead of connecting you directly to repair."