DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need paint? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/280432-need-paint.html)

HeyBub[_3_] June 16th 09 04:02 PM

Need paint?

Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used a
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...int-can-drill/

DerbyDad03 June 16th 09 04:10 PM

Need paint?

On Jun 16, 11:02*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used a
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...-opening-paint...

Sure wish they had said *why*.

Winston June 16th 09 04:28 PM

Need paint?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 16, 11:02 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used a
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...-opening-paint...

Sure wish they had said *why*.

Propellant is usually propane, ether or butane.
All very flammable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray#Propellant

--Winston

DGDevin June 16th 09 05:52 PM

Need paint?

HeyBub wrote:

Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he
used a cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...int-can-drill/

Natural Selection on the job.

DerbyDad03 June 16th 09 06:21 PM

Need paint?

On Jun 16, 11:28*am, Winston wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 16, 11:02 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used a
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...-opening-paint....

Sure wish they had said *why*.

Propellant is usually propane, ether or butane.
All very flammable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray#Propellant

--Winston

You answered the wrong "why".

Why did he drill through the can?

charlie June 16th 09 07:07 PM

Need paint?

--
duh. to get the paint out.

DerbyDad03 June 16th 09 07:44 PM

Need paint?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 16, 11:02 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...-opening-paint....

Sure wish they had said *why*.

Propellant is usually propane, ether or butane.
All very flammable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray#Propellant

--Winston

You answered the wrong "why".

Why did he drill through the can?

--
duh. to get the paint out.- Hide quoted text -

I thought that was what the button on the top was for.

Man, I gotta start reading the instructions.

Oren[_2_] June 16th 09 08:56 PM

Need paint?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 16, 11:02 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...-opening-paint...

Sure wish they had said *why*.

Propellant is usually propane, ether or butane.
All very flammable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray#Propellant

--Winston

You answered the wrong "why".

Why did he drill through the can?

--
duh. to get the paint out.- Hide quoted text -

I thought that was what the button on the top was for.

Man, I gotta start reading the instructions.

Maybe the guy just wanted the "marble" inside?

Jon Danniken[_2_] June 16th 09 11:32 PM

Need paint?

"Oren" wrote:

Maybe the guy just wanted the "marble" inside?

If I had a nickle for every finger I cut up trying to get those "free"
marbles....

Jon

aemeijers June 16th 09 11:43 PM

Need paint?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 16, 11:02 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Use caution. And safety goggles.
"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...-opening-paint...
Sure wish they had said *why*.
Propellant is usually propane, ether or butane.
All very flammable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol_spray#Propellant
--Winston

You answered the wrong "why".

Why did he drill through the can?

--
duh. to get the paint out.- Hide quoted text -

I thought that was what the button on the top was for.

Man, I gotta start reading the instructions.

Unless he was huffing, probably had a clogged valve or dip tube, and he
thought the can had just lost its pressure, and was trying to salvage
the paint to apply with a brush. I know I get ****ed when a can of
whatever goes flat, but still has most of the product trapped inside.

--
aem sends...

John Grabowski June 17th 09 12:30 AM

Need paint?

Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used a
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...int-can-drill/

*I seem to recall Stormin Norman doing the same thing a while back. He
didn't get burned; just got painted blue. Maybe he'll repost the link as it
was a very funny story.

I don't know how many languages they need to publish "Do not puncture or
incinerate" on every can.

Stormin Mormon June 17th 09 03:07 AM

Need paint?

Why did the chicken cross the road? To paint something.

I did try to depressurize a spray can of paint, one time.
Can with a clogged nozzle. Figured I could always brush it
on. Well, the paint and propellant mix foamed all over the
place, and it was a considerable mess to clean up. I won't
do that, again.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon June 17th 09 03:09 AM

Need paint?

I think I remember it being white. I'd have to search Google
archives, I don't have a copy of that on my drive. I don't
think.

They didn't publish it in Norman language, so I didn't mind
the caution.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Phisherman[_2_] June 17th 09 03:46 AM

Need paint?

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:02:56 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used a
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...int-can-drill/

We used to open the cans AFTER the pressure was released to get the
marble. An old hand-crank can opener makes it easy, plus no sparks.

aemeijers June 17th 09 04:03 AM

Need paint?

wrote:

Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used a
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...int-can-drill/

We used to open the cans AFTER the pressure was released to get the
marble. An old hand-crank can opener makes it easy, plus no sparks.

Trouble is, you can't always tell for sure if the pressure is released.
Sometimes the valve is just gummed up. I had an ancient can of foaming
engine cleanser self-detonate on my once, rotted out from inside, just
sitting in a milk crate on shelf over the washer. Lived in an apartment
at the time- no freeze-proof outside storage. Made a hell of a mess. I
hadn't touched the can in a couple of years. Split right down the side
seam. Like right now, I was sitting at the computer hanging out on
usenet, instead of doing anything productive. Scared the crap out of me.

--
aem sends...

Jim Elbrecht June 17th 09 12:11 PM

Need paint?

aemeijers wrote:

-snip-
Trouble is, you can't always tell for sure if the pressure is released.

That's what pellet guns are for.g Last week I stopped myself
from tossing one of those brand-new-but-dead Great Stuff cans.

'Let's see if it is really depressurized, or if it is a nozzle
problem.' He says to himself

I *almost* set up a video cam a few feet away. Glad I didn't.

That sucker spun around for 30 seconds or so and managed to spray foam
in a 10foot radius! Next time I'll set up a cam- in a plastic bag.

For paint cans I usually just put them in a cardboard box to contain
the paint.

Jim

ransley June 17th 09 03:00 PM

Need paint?

On Jun 16, 10:02*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Use caution. And safety goggles.

"Spokane fire officials said the man was seriously burned when he used a
cordless drill to penetrate the [spray] can."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/200...-opening-paint...

He was probably trying to get high-higher, off the fumes. I heard of
someone drilling a gas tank to steal gasolene, I dont know if he
lived.