Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What channels did you lose?

So you got your converter box. Maybe you even upgraded your antenna.
Then the DTV switch came. What channels did you lose?

Me? Just CBS. No big loss. I'm not sure if all the new wacky
foreign-language channels make up for it. I live on a hill top 20
miles from the transmission towers. Others must be in lousy shape.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

mike wrote:
Then the DTV switch came. What channels did you lose?

All of them, for the most part.

Interestingly enough, the morning after _the_big_switch_ a rescan found
all three networks plus the PBS that had disappeared after
_witching_day_1_ so all seemed well. That was roughly 8-9AM, played for
a few minutes switching back and forth and turned it off.

At 6-ish PM for local news/weather, nada/zip/nothing except the one
network that had also made the earlier switch that had been receiving
well. It was barely strong enough to lock w/ a lot of drop out and
audio near useless.

Been that way since...no weather to foul up the antenna, so I've no real
clue as to why seemed ok initially and then went away. Neither,
apparently, do the stations who have received similar complaints I
gather from quite a sizable number.

40-60 mile range, flat country...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:15:39 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

So you got your converter box. Maybe you even upgraded your antenna.
Then the DTV switch came. What channels did you lose?

Me? Just CBS. No big loss. I'm not sure if all the new wacky
foreign-language channels make up for it. I live on a hill top 20
miles from the transmission towers. Others must be in lousy shape.

I lost ALL of them. I used to listen to TV on my portable radio. So
now what am I supposed to do, get a converter box for my Sony portable
radio? Even the FM TV is gone! No more Judge Judy/Judge Joe Brown.
LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 10:15*am, mike wrote:
So you got your converter box. *Maybe you even upgraded your antenna.
Then the DTV switch came. *What channels did you lose?

Me? *Just CBS. *No big loss. * *I'm not sure if all the new wacky
foreign-language channels make up for it. *I live on a hill top 20
miles from the transmission towers. *Others must be in lousy shape.

I frequently lose Channel 13 in the Pearland, Texas area and have to
rescan.

Not sure if it is a converter issue or the station itself.
I found that an old Radio Shack outdoor antenna picks up all channels
great.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jun 15, 12:15*pm, mike wrote:
So you got your converter box. *Maybe you even upgraded your antenna.
Then the DTV switch came. *What channels did you lose?

Me? *Just CBS. *No big loss. * *I'm not sure if all the new wacky
foreign-language channels make up for it. *I live on a hill top 20
miles from the transmission towers. *Others must be in lousy shape.

I actually *gained* MHz and Ion after the official switch over.
Didn't lose any that I could previously receive.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Nothing changed here, I still have the same two stations and six
channels I've had for the past year and a half.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

dpb wrote:

mike wrote:
[...]

I didn't lose any,gained several,along with subchannels.
One subchannel is worthwhile,all older movies,and fewer commercials.
I'm using a homemade coathanger wire quad bowtie from plans on Make TV.Cost
$5,has excellent signal levels,even indoors in a stucco/mesh building.

Some stations had troubles during the switchoff;
Local Ch.2(NBC) was unwatchable for the first several hours,but cleared up
once they fixed something.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

dpb wrote:

mike wrote:
[...]

Where exactly is this antenna plan? Link? Any plans for a decent attic
mount one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

dpb wrote:

mike wrote:
[...]

http://cachefly.oreilly.com/make/tel...enna_FINAL.pdf

you can build this,mount it on a PVC pipe for swiveling,and put it in the
attic.(provided you don't have a metal roof!) ;-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 2:18*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Pete C." wrote onster.com:

dpb wrote:

mike wrote:
[...]

kua.net- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I got some new channels, too. That is a good thing, because I
cannot bring myself to pay for TV (or parking).

You must live very close to the transmission towers. I had to install
a huge antenna 10 ft. above my roof. The attic antenna wasn't cutting
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Yanik wrote:
I'm using a homemade coathanger wire quad bowtie from plans on Make TV.Cost
$5,has excellent signal levels,even indoors in a stucco/mesh building.

How far from transmission towers???

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

dpb wrote:

mike wrote:
[...]

I built the same one just for the heck of it since I have cable. I wanted to
see what was available if the cable was out (it has been known to happen.

I got the major networks and a couple of indies. I did not get any PBS
stations. Most of the stations I did get are 40-50 miles away. Nice flat
Florida terrain.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 11:15*am, mike wrote:
So you got your converter box. *Maybe you even upgraded your antenna.
Then the DTV switch came. *What channels did you lose?

Me? *Just CBS. *No big loss. * *I'm not sure if all the new wacky
foreign-language channels make up for it. *I live on a hill top 20
miles from the transmission towers. *Others must be in lousy shape.

I lost none and gained at least 15. Im 12-15 miles from stations with
a room antenna, look into a good outside antenna. Several sites have
an antenna program that will tell you what you need by your zip code.
Many stations are split into 3-4 channels, you should get more than
you had before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2009 9:15 AM mike spake thus:

So you got your converter box. Maybe you even upgraded your antenna.
Then the DTV switch came. What channels did you lose?

Me? Just CBS. No big loss. I'm not sure if all the new wacky
foreign-language channels make up for it. I live on a hill top 20
miles from the transmission towers. Others must be in lousy shape.

Ch. 7 (ABC) in the S. F. Bay Area. Anyone else here know what happened
to them? Their website says they switched from VHF to UHF, but haven't
been able to pick them up even after several rescans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 11:15*am, mike wrote:
So you got your converter box. *Maybe you even upgraded your antenna.
Then the DTV switch came. *What channels did you lose?

Me? *Just CBS. *No big loss. * *I'm not sure if all the new wacky
foreign-language channels make up for it. *I live on a hill top 20
miles from the transmission towers. *Others must be in lousy shape.

Have a set in my shop and one in the kitchen that are both on rabbit
ear type antenna. Both had trouble getting a good analog signal
without a lot of snow and spotty reception on digital. Had to rescan
after the conversion and now pickup a couple of additional digital
channels with all of the digital channels comming very clear without
signal loss now. If I lost any channels, they weren't ones that I
wanted to see anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 15 Jun 2009 09:15:39a, mike told us...

So you got your converter box. Maybe you even upgraded your antenna.
Then the DTV switch came. What channels did you lose?

Me? Just CBS. No big loss. I'm not sure if all the new wacky
foreign-language channels make up for it. I live on a hill top 20
miles from the transmission towers. Others must be in lousy shape.

We're on cable, so there was no interuption or channel loss. However, some
of our neighbors not on cable have had serious problems. In our area both
distance and mountains would be major factors.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Bread and butter, devoid of charm in the drawing ~room, is ambrosia

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Red Green wrote:
Pre & post switch, I've found DTV to be weather (I assume) sensitive. I
don't mean bad weather either.

Ayup...found it's worthless if there's any significant weather between
transmitter and antenna which makes the severe weather broadcasting
pretty much a lost effort for most of the areas that need it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

dpb wrote:

mike wrote:
[...]

I'm just north of Orlando/Winter Park,and I get PBS Ch.15 WDSC from Daytona
Beach,and PBS WMFE Ch.24 in Orlando.
18.2(WKCF subchannel) is "This Network",shows older movies,it's pretty
good.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Charlie" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

dpb wrote:

mike wrote:
[...]

I posted the first time on "transition" day. I just tried again and get two
PBS stations along with 3 or 4 substations for each.
I am just south of Sarasota so I get most stations from Tampa/St.Pete and
Fort Myers.

Surprisingly, or not, I picked up two analog stations. One is Hispanic and
the other religious. Both are snowy and obviously are in the category of
low power stations that did not need to go digital.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

dpb wrote:
mike wrote:
[...]

That link won't open in Firefox, for me at least. I finally got around
to opening it in IE, and it came up.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

http://cachefly.oreilly.com/make/tel...enna_FINAL.pdf

you can build this,mount it on a PVC pipe for swiveling,and put it in
the attic.(provided you don't have a metal roof!) ;-)

That link won't open in Firefox, for me at least. I finally got around
to opening it in IE, and it came up.

--
aem sends...

I use Opera,and I'm discovering that many sites only work properly with IE.

That SUCKS,because IE sucks.

Whar version of Firefox are you using?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

I posted the first time on "transition" day. I just tried again and get two
PBS stations along with 3 or 4 substations for each.
I am just south of Sarasota so I get most stations from Tampa/St.Pete and
Fort Myers.

Is anyone receiving more channels with quality content, or just more
infomercials, more Reverend Ike types looking for money, more canned
inexpensive to produce/buy useless content from major networks to fill
in sub channels when they found out what they promised was too expensive
for the bean counters?

In the NYC metro area with the exception of PBS stations, I'm seeing sub
channels populated with sub par programming by WNBC (because it is cheap
to buy), infomercials 24x7, more preachers begging for money in
different languages on each sub channel, Mindless non stop Anime
cartoons 24x7, WOR and WNYW xmitting each others stations in SD on sub
channels, poor quality NYC traffic cams with terrible audio.

What I'd like to see is local content shows (NYC stations think nothing
out side the 5 boroughs is worthwhile unless it's an ax murder), real
local weather coverage rather than mass marketed regional weather, shows
that take advantage of local talent and activities would be a good start.

I don't need another bamboo steamer, thanks. Please no more political
left or right talking heads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:31:42 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

[snip]

That link won't open in Firefox, for me at least. I finally got around
to opening it in IE, and it came up.

It opened fine here (Firefox / Foxit Reader).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Stone wrote in
:

Charlie wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

[...]

I get one subchannel that I watch a lot;18.2(WKCF sub).
It's "This Network",and they run older movies and it seems,fewer commercial
interruptions.
Only problem is,they don't keep the electronic program guide up to date,and
it's hard to find out what's on and when.
If I remember,I check Titan TV online.
(but can't print anything from it,because they only like IE)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
aemeijers wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

http://cachefly.oreilly.com/make/tel...enna_FINAL.pdf

you can build this,mount it on a PVC pipe for swiveling,and put it in
the attic.(provided you don't have a metal roof!) ;-)

That link won't open in Firefox, for me at least. I finally got around
to opening it in IE, and it came up.

--
aem sends...

I use Opera,and I'm discovering that many sites only work properly with IE.

That SUCKS,because IE sucks.

Whar version of Firefox are you using?

3, set up to automagically update, so I assume I'm current.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
aemeijers wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

http://cachefly.oreilly.com/make/tel...enna_FINAL.pdf

you can build this,mount it on a PVC pipe for swiveling,and put it
in the attic.(provided you don't have a metal roof!) ;-)

That link won't open in Firefox, for me at least. I finally got
around to opening it in IE, and it came up.

--
aem sends...

I use Opera,and I'm discovering that many sites only work properly
with IE.

That SUCKS,because IE sucks.

Whar version of Firefox are you using?

3, set up to automagically update, so I assume I'm current.

--
aem sends...

Hmm,it opened OK in Firefox 1.0.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Stone wrote:

poor quality NYC traffic cams with terrible audio.

That's one of the best!

What I'd like to see is local content shows

LXTV and New York Non-Stop (both 4-2) and NYC-TV (25) don't count?

(NYC stations think nothing
out side the 5 boroughs is worthwhile unless it's an ax murder),

I don't think an ax murder is important enough. Haven't you seen the
poster with NYC on one end, a great big gap (desert), and then LA.
Turn it upside down and you have the LA view of the US.

real
local weather coverage rather than mass marketed regional weather,

What does that mean? Is it going to rain on your block today, that
sort of thing?

shows
that take advantage of local talent and activities would be a good start.

But all of TV is local (to NYC) talent. OK maybe a few come from LA. I
can't walk the dog without running into a film crew taking up valuable
parking space.

I don't need another bamboo steamer, thanks. Please no more political
left or right talking heads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

LXTV and New York Non-Stop (both 4-2) and NYC-TV (25) don't count?

LXTV and NY non stop is a poor substitute for the originally announced
programming.
Meaningless canned light fare meant to take up bandwidth for a low cost.
Do they have anything on 4-2 that doesn't rerun the same day within a 4
hour time frame?
I have better sources for bars with good shagging than NY non stop,
thanks anyhow.

NYC-TV wasn't bad until they started having money problems and went into
a rerun spiral.

...Turn it upside down and you have the LA view of the US.

You got that right

What does that mean? Is it going to rain on your block today, that
sort of thing?

No.. more like cause and effect.. send a camera crew or use freelance
footage of weather damage thru out the coverage area, rather than
keeping it choked down to within 45 minutes drive time into Manhattan.
The viewers not only come from the boroughs but 70 air miles away from
ESB.. eastern LI, the southern edge of Sullivan county, eastern edge of
PA, etc.

But all of TV is local (to NYC) talent. OK maybe a few come from LA. I
can't walk the dog without running into a film crew taking up valuable
parking space.

TV newscasts are all about quantity rather than quality. If they can get
10 stories covered in 10 minutes with less than 60 percent wrong and
less than 4 technical failures it's a good show. No details, told to go
to their website for further information.. go there and try to wade thru
the kaos they call a web site and rarely ever find what you were looking
for. Use a sub channel to give us the details with time taken for
accuracy. Trained, educated, experienced newscasters that know how to
present a story replaced with know nothing pretty boys and girls fresh
off the street.. and the lack of knowledge of the region and
misinformation conveyed shows in the broadcasts.. but hey they work
cheap. Wrong video clips played at wrong time, bad mikes, out of control
robo cameras, wrong story at wrong time. We are talking about network
flagship stations.. not some college or high school A/V class.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Stone wrote:

wrote:

I have better sources for bars with good shagging than NY non stop,
thanks anyhow.

I've learnt a few things such as how to fold a fitted sheet and I love
TMI. It's hilarious. (TMI is the one with the 3 girls talking mainly
about dating and etiquette, like can you wear white to a wedding if
you're not the bride.)

NYC-TV wasn't bad until they started having money problems and went into
a rerun spiral.

Apparently they're coming back for a new season. I was talking to one
of their workers just yesterday.