Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to place 4x4 posts in ground in michigan?

I have couple of different situations where I need to put 4x4 posts in
ground in Michigan...

first project is raised garden, using 2x10's with 4x4 posts every 6'. I was
planning to cement the 2' 4x4 posts about 1' into ground. A friend told me
frost would push them up and he said I should just use crushed rock for this
project. What is best way?

second project is rebuilding poorly constructed gates. I was told to dig
holes at least 42" deep, then cement 4x4 posts in place. Is it necessary to
go so deep? TIA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 11:43*am, wrote:
I have couple of different situations where I need to put 4x4 posts in
ground in Michigan...

first project is raised garden, using 2x10's with 4x4 posts every 6'. *I was
planning to cement the 2' 4x4 posts about 1' into ground. A friend told me
frost would push them up and he said I should just use crushed rock for this
project. *What is best way?

second project is rebuilding poorly constructed gates. I was told to dig
holes at least 42" deep, *then cement 4x4 posts in place. Is it necessary to
go so deep? *TIA.

The rule of thumb is to go below the frost line -- that is around
here. michigan might be different though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 10:43*am, wrote:
I have couple of different situations where I need to put 4x4 posts in
ground in Michigan...

first project is raised garden, using 2x10's with 4x4 posts every 6'. *I was
planning to cement the 2' 4x4 posts about 1' into ground. A friend told me
frost would push them up and he said I should just use crushed rock for this
project. *What is best way?

second project is rebuilding poorly constructed gates. I was told to dig
holes at least 42" deep, *then cement 4x4 posts in place. Is it necessary to
go so deep? *TIA.

The conventional wisdom, which I see no reason to doubt in this case,
is that you have to go below the frost line. If you don't, freezing
ground and/or water that seeps in and pools under the post will push
it up. So I have always sunk posts about 40" deep in Chicago area.
It's been working for me. I have noticed that the professional fence
installers do the same thing. Crushed rock seems to work fine for
filling around the posts for fencing, but for the gate you might want
concrete for added mass. Drive a few stout nails partway into the
buried part of the post to connect it to the concrete. -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 11:43*am, wrote:
I have couple of different situations where I need to put 4x4 posts in
ground in Michigan...

first project is raised garden, using 2x10's with 4x4 posts every 6'. *I was
planning to cement the 2' 4x4 posts about 1' into ground. A friend told me
frost would push them up and he said I should just use crushed rock for this
project. *What is best way?

second project is rebuilding poorly constructed gates. I was told to dig
holes at least 42" deep, *then cement 4x4 posts in place. Is it necessary to
go so deep? *TIA.

I'm in MI and have put in a number of posts recently,
I'll agree with the 40 inches or so, use a tape, 40 inches is deeper
than it looks, especially when your doing it by hand.
I've put the post in place and set it for level, then poured dry
redimix into the hole almost to top and run a garden hose on it for a
few minutes. Let the water puddle on the top for a few minutes, and
stick a narrow dowel into the concrete to make sure the water gets
all the way around.
check for level again, and by the next day its done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have couple of different situations where I need to put 4x4 posts in
ground in Michigan...

I'd definlitely say..... vertically!