Posted to alt.home.repair

Default extension cord 12 gauge 75 ft vs 100 ft for lawn mower

I have just bought a 19 in electric lawn mower.
Nameplate ampere rating on it is 12 Amps and I am trying to decide on the
extension cord. 75 ft of cord length will be enough to take me to the
farthest point in the lawn, and I understand I am better off buying 12
gauge cord for this purpose. You get either 25 ft or 50 ft or 100 ft cords
in the market that are 12 guage.

The question is should I connect a 50 ft and 25 ft, or am I just better
off using a single 100 ft cord for this purpose. How much am I reducing
the voltage going to the lawn mower when I use a 100 ft instead of 75 ft.
If it does not matter it might be better to have a 100 ft to give myself
additional maneuvrability.

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

"robby" wrote in message

I have just bought a 19 in electric lawn mower.
Nameplate ampere rating on it is 12 Amps and I am trying to decide on the
extension cord. 75 ft of cord length will be enough to take me to the
farthest point in the lawn, and I understand I am better off buying 12
gauge cord for this purpose. You get either 25 ft or 50 ft or 100 ft cords
in the market that are 12 guage.

The question is should I connect a 50 ft and 25 ft, or am I just better
off using a single 100 ft cord for this purpose. How much am I reducing
the voltage going to the lawn mower when I use a 100 ft instead of 75 ft.
If it does not matter it might be better to have a 100 ft to give myself
additional maneuvrability.

The extra 25 foot length is of no consequence. 12 gauge wire has a
resistance of about .00187 ohms per foot. Adding the extra 25 foot length
adds 50 feet of wire to the circuit, resulting in an additional voltage drop
of 1.12 volts for a 12 amp load. You will never notice any lawn mower
performance difference arising from this ~1 volt change. This additional
drop is, after all, less than 1% change.

Smarty

Posted to alt.home.repair

But I'd go with either 2 50' rather than the 100'. A 100' can be a pain to
work with, whereas a two piece setup will make it a little more manageable.
Plus in times when you need or want a shorter cord for another use they will
be easier to use.

"Smarty" wrote in message
"robby" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

358913 spam and counting! Please post to Usenet the regular
way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"robby" wrote in
message

Posted to alt.home.repair

robby had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...er-378573-.htm
:
Thanks!

Smarty wrote:

"robby" wrote in
message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"robby" wrote in message

I have just bought a 19 in electric lawn mower.
Nameplate ampere rating on it is 12 Amps and I am trying to decide on the
extension cord. 75 ft of cord length will be enough to take me to the
farthest point in the lawn, and I understand I am better off buying 12
gauge cord for this purpose. You get either 25 ft or 50 ft or 100 ft cords
in the market that are 12 guage.

The question is should I connect a 50 ft and 25 ft, or am I just better
off using a single 100 ft cord for this purpose. How much am I reducing
the voltage going to the lawn mower when I use a 100 ft instead of 75 ft.
If it does not matter it might be better to have a 100 ft to give myself
additional maneuvrability.

Onething I have not seen mentioned is that if possiable you should plug it
into a socket as near the fuse/breaker box as you can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The question is should I connect a 50 ft and 25 ft, or am I just better
off using a single 100 ft cord for this purpose.

Use the 100 footer'. After you run over the cord a few times, it'll end up
as a 75' ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
But I'd go with either 2 50' rather than the 100'. A 100' can be a
pain to work with, whereas a two piece setup will make it a little more
manageable. Plus in times when you need or want a shorter cord for
another use they will be easier to use.

If you use two 50 footers, look into getting one of those gadgets which
snap over the plug and socket joining the two cords together. They keep
a tug on the cord from unpluging them and are neater than tying the
cords in a knot to keep that from happening. G

Poisanally I'd go with the 100 footer, it'll snag on things much less
that if there's a "lump" at the 50 foot point.

And, I strongly suggest you make sure that the cord is plugged into a
GFI protected outlet. The mower may be "double insulated" and grounded
through the power cord's ground conductor, but all that might not be
worth ****e after you chop into the cord.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"Smarty" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to robby, Pelican2 wrote:
Is this also true if using 1000 watt portable generator

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-378572-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 3:14:15 PM UTC-4, Pelican2 wrote:
replying to robby, Pelican2 wrote:
Is this also true if using 1000 watt portable generator

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-378572-.htm

Is what true?
The question was about a mower that's rated at 12 amps. That would
be ~1400 watts, so the cord isn't your big problem if you only have
a 1000 watt generator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jeff_wisnia, Robb Dabbs wrote:
When we bought an older home it had only 1 outlet. I back-wired 8
weatherproof outlet boxe around he perimeter of the house, each controlled by
an GFCI indoor outlet. I also laid buried cable to a new outdoor shed so that
we had protected wiring and lighting.. All these outlets were very convenient
when needed for outdoor tools, as well as a source for low-voltage lighting
transformers. You can use shorter extension cords if you have conveniently
located outlets.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-378572-.htm