Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool + Spa - 1 pump or 2

I'm putting in a pool and spa and am debating if I need a separate
pump for the spa. One builder tells me I need 2 pumps, but concedes
it is mostly for convienance. The main pool pump can run to circulate
and heat the spa using floor returns. Then if I want jets, the air
switch kicks in the second pump. However, my wife and I don't really
like the powerful jets all that much and tend to try and sit between
the outlets. I'm leaning toward a single pump (1.5 hp sized for pool)
because I think that will provide more than enough force to the 4 spa
jets. The only thing I think I loose is the ability to turn it off
remotely at the spa using an air switch since it will be the only pump
and hooked to the timer.

Anything I'm not considering? The second pump, air switch, extra
piping, and added electrical service required will cost an extra $1000.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(PDT), wrote:

I'm putting in a pool and spa and am debating if I need a separate
pump for the spa. One builder tells me I need 2 pumps, but concedes
it is mostly for convienance.

I'd also add that your pool pump should be designed to deliver volume,
and your spa pump to deliver pressure.

Also, if one pump dies, the other can do temporary duty for both until
a replacement arrives.

The main pool pump can run to circulate
and heat the spa using floor returns. Then if I want jets, the air
switch kicks in the second pump. However, my wife and I don't really
like the powerful jets all that much and tend to try and sit between
the outlets.

What about kids, guests, or the folks who want to buy the property
some day? [or for that back injury you'll have in a few years. I
like the warmth, but *nothing* beats a dozen jets pounding my lower
back at 5AM.]

I'm leaning toward a single pump (1.5 hp sized for pool)
because I think that will provide more than enough force to the 4 spa
jets. The only thing I think I loose is the ability to turn it off
remotely at the spa using an air switch since it will be the only pump
and hooked to the timer.

Anything I'm not considering? The second pump, air switch, extra
piping, and added electrical service required will cost an extra $1000.

So you're about to spend, what, $30-40K- and are considering lowering
the value of it by $5k to save $1k?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd also add that your pool pump should be designed to deliver volume,
and your spa pump to deliver pressure. * *

Yet the builder has specified 2 identical pumps???

Also, if one pump dies, the other can do temporary duty for both until
a replacement arrives.

This is a good point.

What about kids, guests, or the folks who want to buy the property
some day? *[or for that back injury you'll have in a few years. * *I
like the warmth, but *nothing* beats a dozen jets pounding my lower
back at 5AM.] * *

The one builder who is saying I can get away with one pump is saying
that with a clean filter and/or filter bypass line, I should have all
the pressure I need to operate the jets.

So you're about to spend, what, $30-40K- and are considering lowering
the value of it by $5k to save $1k?

Saving $ is not really the issue. I just don't want to spend $1000
for the spa jet pump and end up not using it if a single pump can give
me the same results. As I am being told, the only thing that I won't
have is the ability to switch the pump off remotely via an air switch,
but could add a wireless remote in the future. Having a brand new
$600 pump sit there outside and never getting used gives me
heartburn.

However, your comment about future owners has me thinking maybe I'll
just put in the piping, electric and air switch and leave off the
pump. Then a pump can be added at a later date.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 6:09*am, wrote:
I'm putting in a pool and spa and am debating if I need a separate
pump for the spa. *One builder tells me I need 2 pumps, but concedes
it is mostly for convienance. *The main pool pump can run to circulate
and heat the spa using floor returns. *Then if I want jets, the air
switch kicks in the second pump. *However, my wife and I don't really
like the powerful jets all that much and tend to try and sit between
the outlets. *I'm leaning toward a single pump (1.5 hp sized for pool)
because I think that will provide more than enough force to the 4 spa
jets. *The only thing I think I loose is the ability to turn it off
remotely at the spa using an air switch since it will be the only pump
and hooked to the timer.

Anything I'm not considering? *The second pump, air switch, extra
piping, and added electrical service required will cost an extra $1000.

Spa's & pools are different animals and have different pump needs /
requirements.

Get the two pumps and make sure you can adjust the jet power.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 9:55*am, wrote:
[...]

The pump itself actually costs more like $250-300.

However, your comment about future owners has me thinking maybe I'll
just put in the piping, electric and air switch and leave off the
pump. *Then a pump can be added at a later date.

So, as others have said, to save $250 on a $30K project, you're left
not knowing if the whole thing even works as it's supposed to.
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'd want to see the whole thing
work as it's supposed to before making the final payment. In the
world of pools, a few hundred bucks isn't much. Around here people
routinely pay $325 to close a pool and then $325 to open it again. A
season's worth of chemicals can cost more than the pool pump.

Also, as a contractor,if someone insisted on doing this, it would
raise a red flag for me about getting involved in the whole job.

Are you getting a third pump for an automatic pool cleaner, eg
Polaris? That's another "convenience" feature, but you'd be crazy not
to get it installed.