Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood Bath Mat

Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody has ever used a wooden bath mat. I saw a nice
example in myer and I was wondering if they work well. I was also wondering
if anybody has made one. The ones I have seen for sale in stores are made
from pine that has been stained and sealed. When I did an internet search I
saw some very nice cedar and teak mats. Im sure I could make one without
much hassle. Anyway could anyone think of any negatives or positives for
for the ideas above?
Thanks in advance!

--
george lopez
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:35:30 -0500, george lopez
georgelopez66[at]gmail[dot]com wrote:

Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody has ever used a wooden bath mat. I saw a nice
example in myer and I was wondering if they work well. I was also wondering
if anybody has made one. The ones I have seen for sale in stores are made
from pine that has been stained and sealed. When I did an internet search I
saw some very nice cedar and teak mats. Im sure I could make one without
much hassle. Anyway could anyone think of any negatives or positives for
for the ideas above?
Thanks in advance!

Cedar, teak, white oak are all good "water" woods. A good mat should
not slip. I have a rubber bath mat made from spent tires--but it
rests on a concrete floor. Rubber may react with vinyl or other
floorings/finishes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 3:15*pm, Phisherman wrote:
[...]

ditto on the teak or cedar......use waterproof glue or SS (blind /
from the bottom) fasteners

SS fasteners I used in a wooden door mat were still "perfect" after
~15 years outside in SoCal

cheers
Bov
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 4:35*pm, george lopez georgelopez66[at]gmail[dot]com
wrote:
Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody has ever used a wooden bath mat.
snip

I think what you're looking for is generically called a "duck board".
They are used any where there's a wet/muddy surface that you need to
stand/walk on. We had one in front of the laundry tubs for years.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

george lopez georgelopez66[at]gmail[dot]com wrote in
:

Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody has ever used a wooden bath mat. I saw a
nice example in myer and I was wondering if they work well. I was also
wondering if anybody has made one. The ones I have seen for sale in
stores are made from pine that has been stained and sealed. When I did
an internet search I saw some very nice cedar and teak mats. Im sure I
could make one without much hassle. Anyway could anyone think of any
negatives or positives for for the ideas above?
Thanks in advance!

--
george lopez

wet wood;a great place for mold and mildew to grow.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 3:35*pm, george lopez georgelopez66[at]gmail[dot]com
wrote:
Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody has ever used a wooden bath mat. I saw a nice
example in myer and I was wondering if they work well. I was also wondering
if anybody has made one. The ones I have seen for sale in stores are made
from pine that has been stained and sealed. When I did an internet search I
saw some very nice cedar and teak mats. Im sure I could make one without
much hassle. Anyway could anyone think of any negatives or positives for
for the ideas above?
Thanks in advance!

--
george lopez

Teak unfinished or just oiled is best, there is good reason why its
used for boat decks. When it gets messed up you just use Oxalic acid
and scrub it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody has ever used a wooden bath mat. I saw a nice
example in myer and I was wondering if they work well. I was also wondering
if anybody has made one. The ones I have seen for sale in stores are made
from pine that has been stained and sealed. When I did an internet search I
saw some very nice cedar and teak mats. Im sure I could make one without
much hassle. Anyway could anyone think of any negatives or positives for
for the ideas above?
Thanks in advance!

--
george lopez

Teak unfinished or just oiled is best, there is good reason why its
used for boat decks. When it gets messed up you just use Oxalic acid
and scrub it.

Visited Belize in recent years. A fellow pointed out a few houses that
were built entirely from Mahogany. Belize was a large exporter of
timber 30s -40s (?) and then the mass cutting and hurricanes shortened
the supply.

Those homes were never painted, treated or anything else.

Now they may running out of lobster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
george lopez georgelopez66[at]gmail[dot]com wrote in
:

Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody has ever used a wooden bath mat. I saw a
nice example in myer and I was wondering if they work well. I was also
wondering if anybody has made one. The ones I have seen for sale in
stores are made from pine that has been stained and sealed. When I did
an internet search I saw some very nice cedar and teak mats. Im sure I
could make one without much hassle. Anyway could anyone think of any
negatives or positives for for the ideas above?
Thanks in advance!

--
george lopez

wet wood;a great place for mold and mildew to grow.

Test drive one in bare feet before you spend a lot of time or money on
it. I always found them less than comfortable, if the ratio of cracks to
boards was too high. Wide boards take forever to dry. Pretty much need a
floor drain- once the wood is saturated, that water has to go somewhere.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9C26C2FFA862Ajyanikkuanet@
74.209.136.83:

george lopez georgelopez66[at]gmail[dot]com wrote in
:

Hi All,
I was wondering if anybody has ever used a wooden bath mat. I saw a
nice example in myer and I was wondering if they work well. I was also
wondering if anybody has made one. The ones I have seen for sale in
stores are made from pine that has been stained and sealed. When I did
an internet search I saw some very nice cedar and teak mats. Im sure I
could make one without much hassle. Anyway could anyone think of any
negatives or positives for for the ideas above?
Thanks in advance!

--
george lopez

wet wood;a great place for mold and mildew to grow.

Guess it depends on one's habits. I dry off in the shower, step out and
dry feet. Minimal moisture. Only reason I do this is so I don't get a
blast of cool air. Sidebar: prevents shrinkage :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:06:11 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

[...]

I dry off in the shower too. No need for any floor mats.