Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shower pan caulking/grouting Question

I have a house that is ~ 4 years old. The master shower walls are tiled, and
the base of the shower is a SWAN-S-3442 pan. The pan is made from something
they call Veritek. Anyway, the last caulk job on the shower pan was not done
well. It held, but looked bad. So, I had a tile guy come out and re-do the
caulking and fix any grout that needed it.

He left two areas (one on each side of the door side) of the pan without
caulk, and said that those were weep holes (maybe slots). The basic part of
what he said was that it allowed better circulation and less mildew. Here
are pictures of what I'm talking about:

http://home.comcast.net/~johnejones3/s1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~johnejones3/s2.jpg

So, does that sound right? I can do quite a few fixes, but I am far from an
expert on showers/baths.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 12:00*am, "JJ" wrote:

He left two areas (one on each side of the door side) of the pan without
caulk, and said that those were weep holes (maybe slots).

http://home.comcast.net/~johnejones3/s1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~johnejones3/s2.jpg

Those are the door track drains.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

JJ wrote:
I have a house that is ~ 4 years old. The master shower walls are tiled, and
the base of the shower is a SWAN-S-3442 pan. The pan is made from something
they call Veritek. Anyway, the last caulk job on the shower pan was not done
well. It held, but looked bad. So, I had a tile guy come out and re-do the
caulking and fix any grout that needed it.

He left two areas (one on each side of the door side) of the pan without
caulk, and said that those were weep holes (maybe slots). The basic part of
what he said was that it allowed better circulation and less mildew. Here
are pictures of what I'm talking about:

http://home.comcast.net/~johnejones3/s1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~johnejones3/s2.jpg

So, does that sound right? I can do quite a few fixes, but I am far from an
expert on showers/baths.

Thanks

Calling the areas "weep holes" doesn't make sense to me. Looks like he
did a very nice job with caulking, but leaving the space mystifies me.
In the circled area, the line with no caulk appears to be grout. It
seems to me the gap, if it is grout, might be more inclined to get
mildewy, but there is also a drainage line right there, so .....

I looked up installation instructions and although there is a diagram
showing "caulk" it isn't detailed and there are no specific instructions
about the final grout line. Swan has a "contact us" link, so you could
email them with a link to your images.

http://www.swanstone.com/images/link...it-Flo_395.PDF

shower grouting nigel UK diy 1 November 10th 06 12:53 PM
Tile grouting in shower. Jan Larsen UK diy 2 August 9th 06 04:21 PM
Caulking shower door question SQLit Home Repair 0 September 18th 05 07:12 PM
Cleaning grouting in shower. How? Blair UK diy 8 August 14th 05 10:38 PM
Grouting Caulking Sealing Advice Needed Michael Roback Home Repair 0 August 1st 04 06:52 PM