DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Radon systems, max air removed little energy loss? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/279939-radon-systems-max-air-removed-little-energy-loss.html)

[email protected] June 8th 09 06:24 PM

Radon systems, max air removed little energy loss?

As a handyman I have noticed several Radon systems which seemed to
exhaust large volumes of air from improperly sealed basements. When
the house in question is heating or cooling this exhausted air is made
up from outside air and increases the energy used for heating or
cooling a house.

Can you give me an order of magnitude estimate of the amount of air
removed on a yearly basis from the radon system costs say an extra
hundred dollars in added heating and cooling costs? Does removing the
volume of air in a house once add an extra dollar on average to
heating and cooling a house?

I suspect many radon systems could use a tune up?

Thanks for any help.

Phisherman[_2_] June 9th 09 06:06 PM

Radon systems, max air removed little energy loss?

On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:24:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

As a handyman I have noticed several Radon systems which seemed to
exhaust large volumes of air from improperly sealed basements. When
the house in question is heating or cooling this exhausted air is made
up from outside air and increases the energy used for heating or
cooling a house.

Can you give me an order of magnitude estimate of the amount of air
removed on a yearly basis from the radon system costs say an extra
hundred dollars in added heating and cooling costs? Does removing the
volume of air in a house once add an extra dollar on average to
heating and cooling a house?

I suspect many radon systems could use a tune up?

Thanks for any help.

I know there are heat/cold recovery units. These units are not cheap,
but they can help remove some of the heat from exhausted air that will
pay for itself over time. Knowing where/how to spend your energy
dollars can make a big difference, but I know folks who risk their
health in order to save a few bucks.