Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Self Inflicted Wound

I have a 1970's house. A few years ago while cleaning the basement floor
drain I accidentally kicked the cleanout plug into the drain. It sank and
couldn't be retrieved. In the summer I now have to leave the drain cleanout
partially open to allow the air conditioner condensate to drain. This
sometimes creates odor problems on windy days. Is there a recommended
process for removing an obstruction in a floor drain? I'm guessing that
this is not an unusual circumstance.

Ca****cher

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 12:32*pm, "ca****cher" wrote:
I have a 1970's house. *A few years ago while cleaning the basement floor
drain I accidentally kicked the cleanout plug into the drain. *It sank and
couldn't be retrieved. *In the summer I now have to leave the drain cleanout
partially open to allow the air conditioner condensate to drain. *This
sometimes creates odor problems on windy days. *Is there a recommended
process for removing an obstruction in a floor drain? *I'm guessing that
this is not an unusual circumstance.

Ca****cher

I'm confused.

Are looking for a way to seal the cleanout around the condensate pump
tubing?

What is the sunken cleanout plug "obstructing"?

Please provide more detail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just suck the water out so you can see it. You can dry
it out with rags if you wish. Go to a big box store,and
buy a cheap, very long set of needle nose pliars ( they
make them 6 to 8 inches long, and pick it right out. These
long needle nose pliars come in very handy at times, you
won't regret having them.

news
"ca****cher" wrote in message
I have a 1970's house. A few years ago while cleaning the basement floor
drain I accidentally kicked the cleanout plug into the drain. It sank and
couldn't be retrieved. In the summer I now have to leave the drain
cleanout partially open to allow the air conditioner condensate to drain.
This sometimes creates odor problems on windy days. Is there a
recommended process for removing an obstruction in a floor drain? I'm
guessing that this is not an unusual circumstance.

Ca****cher

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ca****cher" wrote in message
I have a 1970's house. A few years ago while cleaning the basement
floor drain I accidentally kicked the cleanout plug into the drain.
It sank and couldn't be retrieved. In the summer I now have to leave
the drain cleanout partially open to allow the air conditioner
condensate to drain. This sometimes creates odor problems on windy
days. Is there a recommended process for removing an obstruction in a
floor drain? I'm guessing that this is not an unusual circumstance.

Ca****cher

He's talking about the little plug off to the side that bypasses the
trap, so you can get a snake down the line. The plugs often have to be
chiseled out if they haven't been opened in 20 years, and pretty much
any plumbing store will have new ones. The old one is likely in the
bottom of the trap, but I wouldn't think it would do more than restrict
the flow a little. OP should get a new plug to keep the sewer gases at
bay, A wet-dry shop vac does a good job on floor drain traps. If the
blockage is further downstream, time to call the drain guy, and pay the
hundred dollars.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're exactly right on the plug being in the bottom of the trap.
Unfortunately it fell into the trap with the knob side down and couldn't be
retrieved with needle nose pliers -- there wasn't anything to grab. But I
did manage to poke it a little farther into the trap. Now the trap is
totally blocked. I have to leave the cleanout open to permit the AC
condensate to drain.

So, any suggestions on retrieving the plug from the trap or is this call a
plumber and have the trap replaced? That will likely be a somewhat messy
and expensive job.

Ca****cher

"ca****cher" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

ca****cher wrote:
I have a 1970's house. A few years ago while cleaning the basement floor
drain I accidentally kicked the cleanout plug into the drain. It sank and
couldn't be retrieved. In the summer I now have to leave the drain cleanout
partially open to allow the air conditioner condensate to drain. This
sometimes creates odor problems on windy days. Is there a recommended
process for removing an obstruction in a floor drain? I'm guessing that
this is not an unusual circumstance.

Ca****cher

It calls for the creative use of the most ubiquitous
tool ever invented by man. The coat hanger. I'm sure
you could bend it into a shape that could help you
retrieve your wayward cap.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

You're exactly right on the plug being in the bottom of the trap.
Unfortunately it fell into the trap with the knob side down and
couldn't be retrieved with needle nose pliers -- there wasn't
anything to grab. But I did manage to poke it a little farther into
the trap. Now the trap is totally blocked. I have to leave the
cleanout open to permit the AC condensate to drain.

So, any suggestions on retrieving the plug from the trap or is this
call a plumber and have the trap replaced? That will likely be a
somewhat messy and expensive job.

Start with a wet/dry vacuum. You can likely suck it right out with the
water in the trap.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement