Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ge clarifies the instructions.

Well, today a pair of 40 watt fluorescents in the kitchen finally gave up an
quit.
So off I went to my local big box store and bought a 2-pack of replacements.
I put them in and they worked .

OK, what to do with the old ones?

On the little cardboard piece that holds the two tubes together in the store
GE has the following statement.

"environmentally responsible-meets Federal EPA regulations for normal
disposal"

Then on another panel on the same piece of cardboard is this statement.

"Hg - LAMP CONTAINS MERCURY" (their caps)
And below that "Manage in Accord with Disposal Laws"

I wonder if anybody at GE reads this stuff. Maybe the last guy with a brain
got laid off and no one left there can read.

My waste disposal company says to bring them to the hazard material drop-off
location. I will do that.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 3:32*pm, "Charlie" wrote:
[...]

These are cover your ass statements. Some regions would probably
allow them to be thrown in trash and others would require special
disposal. Personally the amount of mercury is minute and not in most
toxic form and I think it would be safe in normal trash.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie wrote:
[...]

Around here, you can rid yourself of toxic trash by
wrapping it with gift wrap, putting a bow on it and
leaving it in plain sight on a porch, in the bed of
a pickup or in an unlocked car. A member of AAWDS
will inevitably carry it away for you.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Charlie" wrote:

[...]

Never mind all that. Just play mailbox baseball with them. It's
satisfying, in that things get broken, yet doesn't cause homeowners to
come after you with shotguns. A win-win.

instructions Luke Price Electronics Repair 0 March 10th 09 01:21 AM
Sangamo 410 Instructions Steve Sinclair UK diy 4 November 3rd 06 02:57 PM
Always follow instructions? NorthIdahoWWer Woodworking 8 October 19th 05 05:36 PM
OT Cooker instructions mogga UK diy 1 May 18th 05 11:28 PM
co-ax instructions Mike Metalworking 30 March 26th 04 05:12 AM