Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 9v battery overheats

What would cause a 9v Duracell battery to heat
up beyond (est.) 150 Fahr., not in use but when
removed and in a trouser pocket? Aftter storing
away the CO1 detector for the summer months,
I pocketed the batttery while watching TV: and
it heated up (rapidly) a couple of hours later: was
almost too hot to hold when I chucked it outdoors
onto the stone steps, cold this morning.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jun 6, 8:40*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
What would cause a 9v Duracell battery to heat
up beyond (est.) 150 Fahr., not *in use but when
removed and in a trouser pocket? *Aftter storing
away the CO1 detector for the summer months,
I pocketed the batttery while watching TV: *and
it heated up (rapidly) a couple of hours later: *was
almost too hot to hold when I chucked it outdoors
onto the stone steps, cold this morning.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Shorted from something else in the pocket?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
What would cause a 9v Duracell battery to heat
up beyond (est.) 150 Fahr., not in use but when
removed and in a trouser pocket? Aftter storing
away the CO1 detector for the summer months,
I pocketed the batttery while watching TV: and
it heated up (rapidly) a couple of hours later: was
almost too hot to hold when I chucked it outdoors
onto the stone steps, cold this morning.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Did you have coins or keys in the pocket? Probably the terminals shorted on
the metal and turned into a resistance heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
What would cause a 9v Duracell battery to heat
up beyond (est.) 150 Fahr., not in use but when
removed and in a trouser pocket? Aftter storing
away the CO1 detector for the summer months,
I pocketed the batttery while watching TV: and
it heated up (rapidly) a couple of hours later: was
almost too hot to hold when I chucked it outdoors
onto the stone steps, cold this morning.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Did you have coins or keys in the pocket? Probably the terminals shorted
on the metal and turned into a resistance heater.

uh oh, better check your Johnson for two red marks about the size and
distance apart of 9v batteries terminals...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
What would cause a 9v Duracell battery to heat
up beyond (est.) 150 Fahr., not in use but when
removed and in a trouser pocket? Aftter storing
away the CO1 detector for the summer months,
I pocketed the batttery while watching TV: and
it heated up (rapidly) a couple of hours later: was
almost too hot to hold when I chucked it outdoors
onto the stone steps, cold this morning.

Dead short. Exposed rivet or a coin in your pocket, maybe? Or is your
water and laundry soap leaving some sort of conductive residue in your
clothes?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:
What would cause a 9v Duracell battery to heat
up beyond (est.) 150 Fahr., not in use but when
removed and in a trouser pocket? Aftter storing
away the CO1 detector for the summer months,
I pocketed the batttery while watching TV: and
it heated up (rapidly) a couple of hours later: was
almost too hot to hold when I chucked it outdoors
onto the stone steps, cold this morning.

What pants were you wearing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
What would cause a 9v Duracell battery to heat
up beyond (est.) 150 Fahr., not in use but when
removed and in a trouser pocket? Aftter storing
away the CO1 detector for the summer months,
I pocketed the batttery while watching TV: and
it heated up (rapidly) a couple of hours later: was
almost too hot to hold when I chucked it outdoors
onto the stone steps, cold this morning.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Touched something else metal. Maybe even a grommet holding the pocket seam
on the inside. I have even had 1.5v. batteries short on my keys.

Man, they get hot.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 09:40:59 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

What would cause a 9v Duracell battery to heat
up beyond (est.) 150 Fahr., not in use but when
removed and in a trouser pocket? Aftter storing
away the CO1 detector for the summer months,
I pocketed the batttery while watching TV: and
it heated up (rapidly) a couple of hours later: was
almost too hot to hold when I chucked it outdoors
onto the stone steps, cold this morning.

Keys or change in your pocket shorted it out.