Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT?: Tiny Woodburning Project

I've got a small one-time woodburning project for which I need to burn
about 20 alphabetic characters onto a chunk of cedar 2x6".

Got a little Weller burning iron. I've been trying to layout the
lettering using a pc printout and carbon paper. It doesn't layout
well at all.

If I had a solid (i.e. plastic or metal) stencil of the right size,
I could probably get it done OK, but I don't.

Anybody know a neat trick for something like this??

Thanks,
Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 21:44:02 -0500, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:

I've got a small one-time woodburning project for which I need to burn
about 20 alphabetic characters onto a chunk of cedar 2x6".

Got a little Weller burning iron. I've been trying to layout the
lettering using a pc printout and carbon paper. It doesn't layout
well at all.

If I had a solid (i.e. plastic or metal) stencil of the right size,
I could probably get it done OK, but I don't.

Anybody know a neat trick for something like this??

Thanks,
Will

Print out your pattern. Spray on some 3M glue and fix the pattern
onto the wood. Burn your characters and peel (or sand) off the
pattern. I use this method all the time with very good results. The
spray glue works better than white glue although either will work. I
checked, no carbon paper is sold in my town.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a small one-time woodburning project for which I need to burn
about 20 alphabetic characters onto a chunk of cedar 2x6".

Got a little Weller burning iron. I've been trying to layout the
lettering using a pc printout and carbon paper. It doesn't layout
well at all.

If I had a solid (i.e. plastic or metal) stencil of the right size,
I could probably get it done OK, but I don't.

Anybody know a neat trick for something like this??

Thanks,
Will

Print out your pattern. Spray on some 3M glue and fix the pattern
onto the wood. Burn your characters and peel (or sand) off the
pattern. I use this method all the time with very good results. The
spray glue works better than white glue although either will work.

No spray glue. I'm testing with white glue. Takes longer than I
thought to set up. I wonder if spray polyurethane would work.

I checked, no carbon paper is sold in my town.

No loss: it doesn't transfer to most woods very well anyway.

Thx,
Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
I've got a small one-time woodburning project for which I need to burn
about 20 alphabetic characters onto a chunk of cedar 2x6".

Got a little Weller burning iron. I've been trying to layout the
lettering using a pc printout and carbon paper. It doesn't layout
well at all.

If I had a solid (i.e. plastic or metal) stencil of the right size,
I could probably get it done OK, but I don't.

Anybody know a neat trick for something like this??

Thanks,
Will

If you want some really tedious chores, print the characters onto a
clear sheet of mylar, cut out the characters with a fine Xacto knife,
then trace as a stencil. Or, just print the characters onto regular
computer paper. Get some graphite (like carbon paper) at a fabric or
art store and trace onto the wood.

Tiny, tiny metalwork - chip re-soldering Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 20 June 24th 08 04:21 PM
Plate behind woodburning stove David UK diy 3 August 30th 07 08:55 AM
Woodburning boiler recommendation Jonathan UK diy 3 April 13th 07 07:57 PM
A Woodburning Stove Don Woodworking 19 April 29th 06 03:31 AM
Colwood Cub woodburning tool Tony Manella Woodturning 3 July 2nd 03 03:19 PM