DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   dryer vent to gas meter spaceing (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/279739-dryer-vent-gas-meter-spaceing.html)

[email protected] June 5th 09 04:10 AM

dryer vent to gas meter spaceing

I need to relocate my daughter's electric clothes drier from the front
to the back of the basement to install a washroom where the laundry in
now. The current dryer vent will become the bathroom exhaust vent, and
I need to vent the dryer out the back. Only problem is the only spot
that is anywhere near accessible is right next to the gas meter.
Is there a code issue with placing the vent for an electric dryer
closer than X feet from a natural gas meter/regulator?

Anyone know FOR SURE if there is or is not a problem???

Smitty Two June 5th 09 07:10 AM

dryer vent to gas meter spaceing

In article ,
wrote:

I need to relocate my daughter's electric clothes drier from the front
to the back of the basement to install a washroom where the laundry in
now. The current dryer vent will become the bathroom exhaust vent, and
I need to vent the dryer out the back. Only problem is the only spot
that is anywhere near accessible is right next to the gas meter.
Is there a code issue with placing the vent for an electric dryer
closer than X feet from a natural gas meter/regulator?

Anyone know FOR SURE if there is or is not a problem???

No, but you might want to remind us that you're in Canada (IIRC) when
you go inquiring about codes.

Ed Pawlowski June 5th 09 10:55 AM

wrote in message
I need to relocate my daughter's electric clothes drier from the front
to the back of the basement to install a washroom where the laundry in
now. The current dryer vent will become the bathroom exhaust vent, and
I need to vent the dryer out the back. Only problem is the only spot
that is anywhere near accessible is right next to the gas meter.
Is there a code issue with placing the vent for an electric dryer
closer than X feet from a natural gas meter/regulator?

Anyone know FOR SURE if there is or is not a problem???

What did the building inspector say when you called him? My permission
won't hold up in court if there is a violation.

bob haller June 5th 09 01:19 PM

On Jun 4, 11:10�pm, wrote:
I need to relocate my daughter's electric clothes drier from the front
to the back of the basement to install a washroom where the laundry in
now. The current dryer vent will become the bathroom exhaust vent, and
I need to vent the dryer out the back. Only problem is the only spot
that is anywhere near accessible is right next to the gas meter.
Is there a code issue with placing the vent for an electric dryer
closer than X feet from a natural gas meter/regulator?

Anyone know FOR SURE if there is or is not a problem???

Call building inspector assuming your getting permits etc.

Or just install a new vent they arent hard if it needs relocated
someday.

I wouldnt have the exhaust blowing on the meter etc

EXT June 5th 09 03:38 PM

wrote:
I need to relocate my daughter's electric clothes drier from the front
to the back of the basement to install a washroom where the laundry in
now. The current dryer vent will become the bathroom exhaust vent, and
I need to vent the dryer out the back. Only problem is the only spot
that is anywhere near accessible is right next to the gas meter.
Is there a code issue with placing the vent for an electric dryer
closer than X feet from a natural gas meter/regulator?

Anyone know FOR SURE if there is or is not a problem???

Before I retired, I worked in the printing plant of an Ontario gas utility
and we produced many manuals of gas codes and safe practices which I often
read to proof read. I cannot remember this issue being addressed, but I
would not allow the vent to blow onto the meter or regulator. As it is
remotely possible for the electric dryer to be changed to a gas dryer, you
should have "several" feet between the exhaust vent and the meter/regulator.
The exact number of feet I do not recall.

Tom Horne[_4_] June 6th 09 02:04 AM

On Jun 4, 11:10*pm, wrote:
I need to relocate my daughter's electric clothes drier from the front
to the back of the basement to install a washroom where the laundry in
now. The current dryer vent will become the bathroom exhaust vent, and
I need to vent the dryer out the back. Only problem is the only spot
that is anywhere near accessible is right next to the gas meter.
Is there a code issue with placing the vent for an electric dryer
closer than X feet from a natural gas meter/regulator?

Anyone know FOR SURE if there is or is not a problem???

There is a specific number of feet of separation between the vent for
a heat producing appliance and the gas pressure relief valve discharge
in the National Fuel Gas Code in the US so surely you can find what
the equivalent document is for your province of Canada. The same
document has a required separation between the gas pressure relief
valve discharge and any building opening such as windows doors and
vents.

--
Tom Horne