Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basement Pipe Cover?

I have a semi finished basement with the usual collection of 3/4" pipes and
conduit running just below the ceiling.

I'm assuming at some point in the future the kids and their buddies are
going to be down there, hopefully just playing music and not recreating
Eric Foreman's basement. At any rate, I'd like to cover up the pipes and
conduit. I can build soffits, but would prefer a quicker solution if there
is one.

Do typical big box stores carry any kind of premade pipe/conduit cover that
can be mounted with brackets, possibly painted, and put up in a short
period of time? I'd build custom covers for things like shut off valves
that I want to get access to, but it would be a big time saver to get
something premade that can protect the copper pipe from some 14 year old
Pete Townsend wannabe. Or at least help protect it.

http://www.arscomfg.com/pipe.html seems to make something like what I'm
looking for, but I can't tell by going through lowes.com and homedepot.com
if they have what I'm looking for.

The covers would need to be able to cover pipe and insulation up to about
2" in diameter for a total run of about 100 feet. I thought about cutting
PVC in half, but I think it would be easier and faster to just make soffits
than to try to accurately and neatly cut that much PVC.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 1:35*pm, Jui Ui Ui wrote:
[...]

I've never seen this done before. IMO, either put in a drop ceiling
if you want to finish the basement or just leave it alone, as it's not
worth the trouble. Copper or PVC piping isn't going to burst if
someone just bumps it with something. And if your kids are so out of
control as to be swinging from the pipes, then you have a bigger
problem