DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Stipple a Ceiling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/279693-stipple-ceiling.html)

Phisherman[_2_] June 4th 09 12:18 PM

Stipple a Ceiling

I'd appreciate if anyone can show me a link on how to stipple a
ceiling. A video would be great. I have new unpainted green
wallboard on the ceiling. Should primer be applied before stippling?
Do I have to buy a special applicator? This is a ceiling in a small
bathroom. Thanks.

Limp Arbor June 4th 09 01:53 PM

Stipple a Ceiling

On Jun 4, 7:18*am, Phisherman wrote:
I'd appreciate if anyone can show me a link on how to stipple a
ceiling. *A video would be great. * I have new unpainted green
wallboard on the ceiling. *Should primer be applied before stippling?
Do I have to buy a special applicator? *This is a ceiling in a small
bathroom. *Thanks.

Read he
http://www.drywallschool.com/

[email protected][_2_] June 4th 09 03:42 PM

Stipple a Ceiling

Phisherman wrote:
I'd appreciate if anyone can show me a link on how to stipple a
ceiling. A video would be great. I have new unpainted green
wallboard on the ceiling. Should primer be applied before stippling?
Do I have to buy a special applicator? This is a ceiling in a small
bathroom. Thanks.

Are you stippling for texture or only the color?

Phisherman[_2_] June 4th 09 07:54 PM

Stipple a Ceiling

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:42:16 -0400, "
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
I'd appreciate if anyone can show me a link on how to stipple a
ceiling. A video would be great. I have new unpainted green
wallboard on the ceiling. Should primer be applied before stippling?
Do I have to buy a special applicator? This is a ceiling in a small
bathroom. Thanks.

Are you stippling for texture or only the color?

I want to stipple to match the existing stipple texture in the house.
It need not be exact, because it is a new bathroom. Color should be
the same as all the rooms, ceiling white.

RicodJour June 4th 09 08:11 PM

Stipple a Ceiling

On Jun 4, 2:54*pm, Phisherman wrote:

I want to stipple to match the existing stipple texture in the house.
It need not be exact, because it is a new bathroom. *Color should be
the same as all the rooms, ceiling white. * *

How's the ventilation/insulation in the bathroom? I've seen some
instances where textured ceilings had more issues with mold growth.
Not sure of the reason.

Phisherman[_2_] June 4th 09 09:21 PM

Stipple a Ceiling

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 12:11:23 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jun 4, 2:54*pm, Phisherman wrote:

I want to stipple to match the existing stipple texture in the house.
It need not be exact, because it is a new bathroom. *Color should be
the same as all the rooms, ceiling white. * *

How's the ventilation/insulation in the bathroom? I've seen some
instances where textured ceilings had more issues with mold growth.
Not sure of the reason.

The bathroom has inside walls with a Panasonic inline fan exhausting
to the outside. The other bathrooms have textured ceilings, no
problem for over 16 years. Entire house is air conditioned.

RicodJour June 4th 09 11:09 PM

Stipple a Ceiling

wrote:
On Jun 4, 2:54*pm, Phisherman wrote:

I want to stipple to match the existing stipple texture in the house.
It need not be exact, because it is a new bathroom. *Color should be
the same as all the rooms, ceiling white. * *

How's the ventilation/insulation in the bathroom? *I've seen some
instances where textured ceilings had more issues with mold growth.
Not sure of the reason.

The bathroom has inside walls with a Panasonic inline fan exhausting
to the outside. *The other bathrooms have textured ceilings, no
problem for over 16 *years. *Entire house is air conditioned.

Well then, I guess you're covered!

Roger Shoaf June 6th 09 02:37 AM

Stipple a Ceiling

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I'd appreciate if anyone can show me a link on how to stipple a
ceiling. A video would be great. I have new unpainted green
wallboard on the ceiling. Should primer be applied before stippling?
Do I have to buy a special applicator? This is a ceiling in a small
bathroom. Thanks.

If what you are calling stipple is what I call stipple this is real easy.
Thin out some drywall mud with latex primer to the consistency of
mayonnaise, then roll it on with a fine nap roller. When dry overcoat with
another coat of latex primer and then you are good to paint.

If you do not get a big enough stipple thicken with more mud, or use a
thicker nap roller. I got real good results with the 1/4"nap when I re-did
the sheet rock in my bathroom.

--
Roger Shoaf

Phisherman[_2_] June 6th 09 02:57 AM

Stipple a Ceiling

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 18:37:15 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
I'd appreciate if anyone can show me a link on how to stipple a
ceiling. A video would be great. I have new unpainted green
wallboard on the ceiling. Should primer be applied before stippling?
Do I have to buy a special applicator? This is a ceiling in a small
bathroom. Thanks.

If what you are calling stipple is what I call stipple this is real easy.
Thin out some drywall mud with latex primer to the consistency of
mayonnaise, then roll it on with a fine nap roller. When dry overcoat with
another coat of latex primer and then you are good to paint.

If you do not get a big enough stipple thicken with more mud, or use a
thicker nap roller. I got real good results with the 1/4"nap when I re-did
the sheet rock in my bathroom.

Thanks. This is the first I heard of mixing primer with drywall mud,
but it makes good sense.

I recently viewed a U-Tube video of two drywall men. One was putting
on the thinned mud on the ceiling with a roller and the other was
pouncing a round brush against the ceiling. Looks like fun but I will
need some large plastic sheets and duct tape to contain the mess.