Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem
Doc Doc is offline

Default What will quickly remove Plasti-Dip?

I've got a dishwasher rack that was covered with Plasti-Dip in a
misbegotten experiment to provide extra protection against corrosion.
I've been using citrus based paint remover and Scotch Brite pads to
remove it, which works after a fashion but is tedious and slow going.
Will anything remove it rapidly without damaging the factory coating
on the rack, which I assume to be some sort of epoxy?

I'm talking about this stuff

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

While I'm on the subject, is there anything you can think of in the
consumer market that could be applied to a dishwasher rack that will
hold up in that environment?

Thanks for all info
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Jun 4, 1:30*am, Doc wrote:
I've got a dishwasher rack that was covered with Plasti-Dip in a
misbegotten experiment to provide extra protection against corrosion.
I've been using citrus based paint remover and Scotch Brite pads to
remove it, which works after a fashion but is tedious and slow going.
Will anything remove it rapidly without damaging the factory coating
on the rack, which I assume to be some sort of epoxy?

I'm talking about this stuff

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

While I'm on the subject, is there anything you can think of in the
consumer market that could be applied to a dishwasher rack that will
hold up in that environment?

Thanks for all info

Read the MSDS on the manufacturer's web site. The nasty chemicals are
the solvents. There will most likely be a number of them. I don't
know what coating is on a dishwasher rack, but those nasty chemicals
will probably damage it. Sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Jun 3, 10:30*pm, Doc wrote:
I've got a dishwasher rack that was covered with Plasti-Dip in a
misbegotten experiment to provide extra protection against corrosion.
I've been using citrus based paint remover and Scotch Brite pads to
remove it, which works after a fashion but is tedious and slow going.
Will anything remove it rapidly without damaging the factory coating
on the rack, which I assume to be some sort of epoxy?

I'm talking about this stuff

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

While I'm on the subject, is there anything you can think of in the
consumer market that could be applied to a dishwasher rack that will
hold up in that environment?

Thanks for all info

not the answer you're looking for but.....

instead of buying a new dishwasher rack or re-coating the old one, I
was lucky to find a newer model of my machine that was being junked
and I took the racks

craigslist

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Jun 4, 1:30*am, Doc wrote:
I've got a dishwasher rack that was covered with Plasti-Dip in a
misbegotten experiment to provide extra protection against corrosion.
I've been using citrus based paint remover and Scotch Brite pads to
remove it, which works after a fashion but is tedious and slow going.
Will anything remove it rapidly without damaging the factory coating
on the rack, which I assume to be some sort of epoxy?

I'm talking about this stuff

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

While I'm on the subject, is there anything you can think of in the
consumer market that could be applied to a dishwasher rack that will
hold up in that environment?

Thanks for all info

A resin or worse a cured resin takes time for solvents to dissolve or
penetrate. A paint remover that does not immediately evaprate should
work best but might attack the epoxy coating.

I would try regular naptha paint thinner first as this is primary
solvent mentioned in the MSDS. More agressive might be nail polish
remover or acetone and finally the stuff that contains methylene
chloride which is gel like and does not readily evaporate.

All this should be done outside with lots of ventilation.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

on 6/4/2009 1:30 AM (ET) Doc wrote the following:
I've got a dishwasher rack that was covered with Plasti-Dip in a
misbegotten experiment to provide extra protection against corrosion.
I've been using citrus based paint remover and Scotch Brite pads to
remove it, which works after a fashion but is tedious and slow going.
Will anything remove it rapidly without damaging the factory coating
on the rack, which I assume to be some sort of epoxy?

I'm talking about this stuff

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

While I'm on the subject, is there anything you can think of in the
consumer market that could be applied to a dishwasher rack that will
hold up in that environment?

Thanks for all info

I don't know about removing the plastigrip, but there is a product made
especially for those racks. Check with an appliance store.
Here is one product that will repair the most vulnerable parts, the ends
of the wire. I didn't check if there are other colors.
http://www.amazon.com/Uber-Goop-WHIT.../dp/B000HJFN38

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 22:30:18 -0700 (PDT), Doc
wrote:

I've got a dishwasher rack that was covered with Plasti-Dip in a
misbegotten experiment to provide extra protection against corrosion.
I've been using citrus based paint remover and Scotch Brite pads to
remove it, which works after a fashion but is tedious and slow going.
Will anything remove it rapidly without damaging the factory coating
on the rack, which I assume to be some sort of epoxy?

I'm talking about this stuff

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

While I'm on the subject, is there anything you can think of in the
consumer market that could be applied to a dishwasher rack that will
hold up in that environment?

Thanks for all info

Hello Doc,

The site you mentioned has a product called ReRACK that appears to be
specifically for dishwasher racks.

I think Plasti-Dip is a PVC plastisol. You might try a can of the
solvent sold for PVC cement (plastic pipe cement).

Best -- Terry
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.chem

fftt wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:30 pm, Doc wrote:
[...]

Bingo! If the DW in question is a common brand and not too old, OP
should cruise nearby apartment projects the first week of the month, and
look for dishwasher boxes in the dumpsters. Most large complexes get DWs
so cheap in bulk, that they treat them as disposable, and if it looks
ratty between tenants, or stops working any time, they just plug in a
new one and trash the old one without even trying to diagnose it. The
racks are usually fine. Note that there are only a few actual
manufacturers, and interchangeability is high.

--
aem sends...