Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cushion for slamming doors

I'm looking for an good looking option for reducing the noise the interior
doors make when closing. I've use the little round felt pads used for
cabinet doors but they look tacky and I need four or five of them on each
door so they are easy to spot.

Is there some kind of continuous gasket or something that can be painted the
same color as to door jam that will cushion the blow when a door closes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed 03 Jun 2009 06:05:14p, mook johnson told us...

I'm looking for an good looking option for reducing the noise the
interior doors make when closing. I've use the little round felt pads
used for cabinet doors but they look tacky and I need four or five of
them on each door so they are easy to spot.

Is there some kind of continuous gasket or something that can be painted
the same color as to door jam that will cushion the blow when a door
closes?

Do people in your house slam doors? I've lived in numerous houses/codos/
apartments and never experienced the problem you describe. Do these doors
close on their own?

There is narrow self-adhesive foam weatherstrip that you might consider.
I've seen them in white, gray, and brown. However, foam should not be
painted.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Dinner, a time when . . . one should eat wisely but not too well,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mook johnson" wrote in
:

I'm looking for an good looking option for reducing the noise the
interior doors make when closing. I've use the little round felt pads
used for cabinet doors but they look tacky and I need four or five of
them on each door so they are easy to spot.

Is there some kind of continuous gasket or something that can be
painted the same color as to door jam that will cushion the blow when
a door closes?

You could try the self stick clear round buttons used on cabinet doors.
They do have a little thickness to them which means the door latch may not
catch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How about a thin bead of matching caulking (or clear)

Is there some kind of continuous gasket or something that can be painted
the same color as to door jam that will cushion the blow when a door
closes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
How about a thin bead of matching caulking (or clear)

Is there some kind of continuous gasket or something that can be painted
the same color as to door jam that will cushion the blow when a door
closes?

They sell special hinges for that. Usually only used for solid-core
doors, but they may have ones small enough for an interior door. I'd try
self-adhesive rubber pads on the hinge faces. Find ones squishy enough
that you can still pull the door closed over them. Make take some trial
and error, carving them thin enough so door can still latch. Either that
or the old trick of bending a hinge pin, so door doesn't swing so easily.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 8:05*pm, "mook johnson" wrote:
I'm looking for an good looking option for reducing the noise the interior
doors make when closing. *I've use the little round felt pads used for
cabinet doors but they look tacky and I need four or five of them on each
door so they are easy to spot.

Is there some kind of continuous gasket or something that can be painted the
same color as to door jam that will cushion the blow when a door closes?

Bend a hinge pin, it will slow down the door. There is Brass weather
stripping that is made to cause friction to seal by bending, a small
piece at the top would slow a door to not slam shut, but hand closing
would be needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mook johnson" wrote in message
I'm looking for an good looking option for reducing the noise the interior
doors make when closing. I've use the little round felt pads used for
cabinet doors but they look tacky and I need four or five of them on each
door so they are easy to spot.

Is there some kind of continuous gasket or something that can be painted
the same color as to door jam that will cushion the blow when a door
closes?

I own a condo in a high rise complex where most units have a patio door.
When a patio door slams, as many as 10 other folks can hear it. The
complains have tapered down but that's only party because folks are more
careful. After a time, folks just get used to it.

In my own unit, I added a "pneumatic" door closer of the semi-industrial
type that mounts on top of the door. These can provide a good bit of
"closing force" but also have a bit of dampning which means that the door
closes VERY SLOWLY (if you adjust things right.) They come in various
sizes, colors, etc., inside/outside mounting, but one important
classification is whether it's "UL" or not. A "UL" door closer will not
hold the door open if you open it all the way. A "non-UL" will hold the
door open once it's about 90degrees open.

The units don't look "good" but they don't look bad either. It's just
something most folks are used to seeing above doors.