Posted to alt.home.repair

Default glazing putty over primer or paint?

I'm rehabbing a window. I stripped it down and painted the whole sash
with an oil-based primer. I will be painting with an acrylic latex.
Should I install the window over the primer, and then top coat after,
or should I put the latex on first and then install the glass?

The only part of the window where this matters is the recess for the
glass and glazing putty.

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 2, 6:48*pm, wrote:
I'm rehabbing a window. *I stripped it down and painted the whole sash
with an oil-based primer. *I will be painting with an acrylic latex.
Should I install the window over the primer, and then top coat after,
or should I put the latex on first and then install the glass?

The only part of the window where this matters is the recess for the
glass and glazing putty.

thanks

Glass needs to be bedded in putty after priming the groove. Finish
painting after putty has skinned over in a few weeks,

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 7:59*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jun 2, 6:48*pm, wrote:

I'm rehabbing a window. *I stripped it down and painted the whole sash
with an oil-based primer. *I will be painting with an acrylic latex.
Should I install the window over the primer, and then top coat after,
or should I put the latex on first and then install the glass?

The only part of the window where this matters is the recess for the
glass and glazing putty.

thanks

Glass needs to be bedded in putty after priming the groove. Finish
painting after putty has skinned over in a few weeks,

Joe

Thanks Joe.

Nate, I see that what I wrote is a bit confusing.

I have the whole window primed with oil-based primer now. The finish
coat will be a latex. I know I need to wait before painting the
putty, but what I was looking for was whether to bed the glass on top
of the primer, or to paint over the primer with the top coat before
bedding the glass.

The rest of the window will get painted asap so I can hang it back
up. I presume the putty can be outside while it cures?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I'm rehabbing a window. I stripped it down and painted the whole sash
with an oil-based primer. I will be painting with an acrylic latex.
Should I install the window over the primer, and then top coat after,
or should I put the latex on first and then install the glass?

The only part of the window where this matters is the recess for the
glass and glazing putty.

thanks

My understanding was that the bed area of the sash should be:
1] "painted" with linseed oil over the raw wood,
2] a small bed of glazing compound should go between the frame and the
glass,
3] push points should then be installed to hold the glass.
4] the finish layer of glazing compound should then be installed,
5] when the putty has skinned over, prime then paint. A small bead of paint
should overcoat the putty on
to the glass to effect a good seal.

The way it was explained to me is the linseed oil does a better job of
sealing the wood so the wood does not suck the oils out of the putty and it
does a superior job of putting a film between the putty and the wood when
compared to paint.

I might stop by at the glass shop to as the expert just to be sure.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 8:29*pm, wrote:
so to simply answer your question.......

" Should I install the window over the primer, and then top coat
after"

yes, install the glass over the primed frame; bed the glass in a thin
layer of compound & then glaze the "front". *A small diameter "worm"
of compound placed in the glass recess will squish out and give you
your thin layer of beding.

Do not paint with latex until after the window has been glazed.

cheers
Bob

Bob, thanks for all the details. *I already have oil-base primer on
this one but I have lots more to do... *Couple more questions:

I presume it's no biggie to paint other areas of the window with latex
before the glass goes in (e.g. front face, sides)? *The reason is I
don't have the glass yet but do have the paint so would like to move
forward asap. *I can mask the area that will get glaze so it doesn't
get painted.

Also, is it ok to hang the window back up outside before the glaze is
painted? *IOW, will it stand up to the elements right away?

thx!

You could do the latex before the glass but it will get things a bit
out of sequence...if oyu must paint only the "sides / faces" of the
frame that dont get putty.

and you need to prime & a paint the putty anyway

I prefer to compeltely finish up a sash before I install it in the
window frame. It allows me toget paint onto the glass a bit on both
sides

cutting glass yourself is pretty easy with a bit of practice....get
score it firmly, break it quick....do it like the outcome isnt that
important, relax & go for it.

depends on where you are...as long you;re not going to get tons of
rain the putty should be fine, sun exposure will speed skin formation

the way I close off the house when the sashes are out.... 1/4"
plywood cut to fill the space or the window screen covered by taping
on painters paper or plastic.

Roger;s post has a lot of good points...he, he...I forgot the glazers
points

cheers
Bob

wood framed windows are a lot of work

Staining glazing putty Mr. R Home Repair 2 February 12th 07 11:31 PM
glazing putty HandyMart UK diy 7 May 20th 06 10:32 AM
Can you mix primer/sealer and paint (exterior house paint)? TC Home Repair 11 March 9th 06 05:47 PM
Which glazing putty to use? Max UK diy 6 May 10th 05 12:09 AM
colored glazing putty Rob Woodworking 2 May 1st 05 02:31 AM