Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suspending an outlet from the ceiling

So what's the proper way to suspend an outlet from the ceiling?

This would be in a commercial shop. What I gather so far is that a guy
would want to use the following:

o Metal box securely anchored to joist/beam/etc.
o Guy at the electrical supply house I called said to use SO cord
o Seems I need something like a "Kellum grip" at the top as a strain relief
o Standard large round female receptacle at the bottom

Some installations use quad boxes, but a single outlet will be enough here.

I'm not clear on the anchorage at the top. It seems something like
what's described here would be what's wanted:
http://www.woodhead.com/templatefile...rent_flag=true

So does the Kellum grip (or Woodhead's Max Loc) include a braid that
runs the entire length of the cord? or just at the top? how far down? I
think I've seen that arrangement before, with a cord run in a metal
braid for support.

Posted to alt.home.repair

what's described here would be what's wanted:http://www.woodhead.com/templatefile...isplayFile.asp...

So does the Kellum grip (or Woodhead's Max Loc) include a braid that
runs the entire length of the cord? or just at the top? how far down? I
think I've seen that arrangement before, with a cord run in a metal
braid for support.

The link shows just what was installed in my industrial shop YEARS
ago.......I was pretty much a kid at the time.

It looked pretty weird to me but the electrician assured me it was
code.

It gripped the exterior "covering" of an SO cord......the shop floor
level (actually an easy reach above head level) was just a female
twist lock cord end.

The gripper thingy was about a foot or so, not the entire cord
length.....looked weird (mostly cuz' I'd never seen one) but worked
fine for the 7 years I was there,

The concept is:
the gravity & service loads are taken by the box, the box cover, the
gripper, the cord cover & the female cord end.....the conductors are
along for the ride.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:05:05 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[...]

I have electrical boxes on my ceiling, very convenient. They are
attached to the joists. I'm 5'11" and can reach them easily when
standing on my tip toes. There are retractable extension cord holders
you can plug into the outlets. Another option is to fasten a 2x4 to
the joist and fasten an electical box to that. I would not have a
permanent outlet dangling (moving back and forth) though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2009 5:52 AM Phisherman spake thus:

wrote:

So what's the proper way to suspend an outlet from the ceiling?

This would be in a commercial shop. What I gather so far is that a guy
would want to use the following:

o Metal box securely anchored to joist/beam/etc.
o Guy at the electrical supply house I called said to use SO cord
o Seems I need something like a "Kellum grip" at the top as a strain relief
o Standard large round female receptacle at the bottom

I have electrical boxes on my ceiling, very convenient. They are
attached to the joists. I'm 5'11" and can reach them easily when
standing on my tip toes. There are retractable extension cord holders
you can plug into the outlets. Another option is to fasten a 2x4 to
the joist and fasten an electical box to that.

Well, since the ceiling in this shop is, oh, 16 or 18 feet above the
floor, I kinda doubt that would work here. (I don't even know how the
hell I'm going to get up there. Rent one a'them fancy scissors lifts?)

I would not have a permanent outlet dangling (moving back and forth)
though.

Well, it's what the owner wants. And the only time it would be moving
back and forth much would be during earthquakes here.

Hey, it could double as a rough-approximation seismograph. Kewl.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, since the ceiling in this shop is, oh, 16 or 18 feet above the
floor, I kinda doubt that would work here. (I don't even know how the
hell I'm going to get up there. Rent one a'them fancy scissors lifts?)

Some of your better hardware and home improvement stores carry a variety
of clever devices for climbing up to reach high places. Sort of a
folding, portable staircase device, often fashioned of aluminum or
fiberglass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 8:52*am, Phisherman wrote:
I have electrical boxes on my ceiling, very convenient. *They are
attached to the joists. *I'm 5'11" and can reach them easily when
standing on my tip toes. *There are retractable extension cord holders
you can plug into the outlets. *Another option is to fasten a 2x4 to
the joist and fasten an electical box to that. * I would not have a
permanent outlet dangling (moving back and forth) though.- Hide quoted text -

They are very common in labs, manufacturing, and machine shops.