DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gap in wood flooring (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/279524-gap-wood-flooring.html)

Geppo June 1st 09 03:03 PM

Gap in wood flooring

Hi, I'm installing real wood floor in my bedroom.
I know I should leave a gap on all sides in case of wood expansion,
but if I don't leave the gap on one (just one!) of the sides the
boards just fit perfectly without the need of cutting them. Is it
really bad not to leave a gap on one side?
Any advice very welcome?
Thank you!

ransley June 1st 09 03:24 PM

Gap in wood flooring

On Jun 1, 9:03*am, Geppo wrote:
Hi, I'm installing real wood floor in my bedroom.
I know I should leave a gap on all sides in case of wood expansion,
but if I don't leave the gap on one (just one!) of the sides the
boards just fit perfectly without the need of cutting them. Is it
really bad not to leave a gap on one side?
Any advice very welcome?
Thank you!

Now here its humid out and inside, so wood laid open for a few weeks
has or will expand, its 65% inside here now, it will be 70-75%
humidity soon. If installed when humid after its aclimitised it should
not expand more, but who knows. Someone put in a parket floor in
winter in my home, when summer came it bowed up in a bulge 1.5" it was
real bad, you were walking on crap. All sides is recommended, do all
sides to be safe.

Joe June 1st 09 03:51 PM

Gap in wood flooring

"Geppo" wrote in message
Hi, I'm installing real wood floor in my bedroom.
I know I should leave a gap on all sides in case of wood expansion,
but if I don't leave the gap on one (just one!) of the sides the
boards just fit perfectly without the need of cutting them. Is it
really bad not to leave a gap on one side?
Any advice very welcome?
Thank you!

First, yes, it is.

The instructions that came with the flooring should illustrate how much is
needed all around the room.

Other details which would be helpful would be whether there's already base
molding down, or if you're putting some down, or if you're covering the gap
with base shoe or 1/4 round, type of flooring, what kind of wood, width of
planks, etc.....

jc

RicodJour June 1st 09 04:00 PM

Gap in wood flooring

On Jun 1, 10:03*am, Geppo wrote:
Hi, I'm installing real wood floor in my bedroom.
I know I should leave a gap on all sides in case of wood expansion,
but if I don't leave the gap on one (just one!) of the sides the
boards just fit perfectly without the need of cutting them. Is it
really bad not to leave a gap on one side?
Any advice very welcome?
Thank you!

If you are putting down a wood floor, you have to cut wood. Your
bedroom can't be big enough to make omitting the gap on one side
matter unless there is something that you haven't mentioned.

There should be a gap all around. Check out the NOFMA site for
explicit instructions.

Red Green June 1st 09 06:51 PM

Gap in wood flooring

Geppo wrote in news:c6dcf930-06e1-4cc9-95e9-
:

Hi, I'm installing real wood floor in my bedroom.
I know I should leave a gap on all sides in case of wood expansion,
but if I don't leave the gap on one (just one!) of the sides the
boards just fit perfectly without the need of cutting them. Is it
really bad not to leave a gap on one side?
Any advice very welcome?
Thank you!

If you don't follow the mfgrs installation instructions then don't expect
the results mfgr touts.

....and

if anything, related or not, goes wrong with the floor in the future and
you wish to make a warranty claim, it will be blamed on improper
installation.