DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Genie screw drive stops and starts (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/279485-genie-screw-drive-stops-starts.html)

newz May 31st 09 11:30 PM

Genie screw drive stops and starts

I have an older Genie screw drive (sd9500) which all of a sudden has
started acting odd. It stops partway down and partway up. I tried cranking
up the the safety adjustment and even disconnected the safety switch (when
there is too much vibration the safety hub hits this switch). I thought it
might be the motor thermal fuse but the motor starts right up after a
press of the button....doesn't need any cool down time. Now the door goes
up a little and down a little....after a minute it tries again. Btw....it
never had a photo sensor safety device so that gets ruled out.
Being an older unit it is pretty basic....I just can't figure what else it
could be. Thoughts?

-------------------------------------

Oren[_2_] June 1st 09 12:00 AM

Genie screw drive stops and starts

On 31 May 2009 22:30:19 GMT, (newz)
wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah! Tell the succo company to stop porting SPAM here.

In case you don't know -- only one company has an opener without
sensors.

No reply to succo sites....sorry!

hr(bob) [email protected] June 1st 09 02:07 AM

wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah! Tell the succo company to stop porting SPAM here.

In case you don't know -- only one company has an opener without
sensors.

No reply to succo sites....sorry!

Disconnect the door from the opener and see how it opens and closes,
and if something is hanging up halfway up and down/

newz June 2nd 09 03:55 AM

Genie screw drive stops and starts

newz had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ts-376293-.htm
:
It opens and closes very easy while disconnected. It turns out it was a
stuck button on the remote control. Go figure.

hr(bob) wrote:

On May 31, 6:00=A0pm, Oren wrote:
On 31 May 2009 22:30:19 GMT,
(newz)
wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah! Tell the succo company to stop porting SPAM here.

In case you don't know -- only one company has an opener without
sensors.

No reply to succo sites....sorry!

Disconnect the door from the opener and see how it opens and closes,
and if something is hanging up halfway up and down/

-------------------------------------

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

[email protected] June 2nd 09 01:05 PM

wrote:

I have an older Genie screw drive (sd9500) which all of a sudden has
started acting odd. It stops partway down and partway up. I tried cranking
up the the safety adjustment and even disconnected the safety switch (when
there is too much vibration the safety hub hits this switch). I thought it
might be the motor thermal fuse but the motor starts right up after a
press of the button....doesn't need any cool down time. Now the door goes
up a little and down a little....after a minute it tries again. Btw....it
never had a photo sensor safety device so that gets ruled out.
Being an older unit it is pretty basic....I just can't figure what else it
could be. Thoughts?

It sounds like it is binding. Check it by disconnecting the
motor and open and close it manually. If a spring is broken or if the
springs are unevenly supporting the door, it will bind.

Note: Adjusting springs can be a dangerous job. If you are not sure
you know what you are doing, leave it to the pros.