Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete Patio

Have old worn out concrete patio with big holes and chunks taken out...my
question is...do I have to take out the old concrete or can I just put in a
layer of sand and lay new concrete blocks on top? Will that cause problems
in the long run ...such as shifting of the pads and creating and uneven
patio surface.... as the old concrete under the sand deteriorates further?

Thanks

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have old worn out concrete patio with big holes and chunks taken
out...my question is...do I have to take out the old concrete or can
I just put in a layer of sand and lay new concrete blocks on top?
Will that cause problems in the long run ...such as shifting of the
pads and creating and uneven patio surface.... as the old concrete
under the sand deteriorates further?

Unclear: Is the existing patio a slab or blocks?
Assumption: The new patio will be concrete pavers.

I would remove the old patio and properly prepare the surface for the
new patio. If you don't you'll have uneven settling. There's enough
uneven settling in a paver surface when the infrastructure is done
right.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 May 2009 14:34:19 -0600, "DoDa"
wrote:

Have old worn out concrete patio with big holes and chunks taken out...my
question is...do I have to take out the old concrete or can I just put in a
layer of sand and lay new concrete blocks on top?

Do you mean concrete pavers?

Will that cause problems
in the long run ...such as shifting of the pads and creating and uneven
patio surface.... as the old concrete under the sand deteriorates further?

Are you in an area where you get hard freezes in winter? Tell
us more about the old concrete. How think is it? Is it level? What
kind of soil is under it?

Thanks

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure what kind of soil is under it. It is a concrete pad ..I would guess
about 1 or 2 inches thick...hard to tell as most of it is eroded and flaking
off. What is left would probably have to be hammered out. So to save work
...I though just putting down a thick layer of sand and laying new patio
blocks on top would do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The original concrete pad is about 6 inches deep

Posted to alt.home.repair

It must have been some real junky concrete if it was 6 and broke
up so bad. I think we can assume it has finished settling. If
the area is not prone to holding lots of water after a rain, I'd
go for it. Rather than sand, I would suggest a compactable select
fill. Here it would be called crusher run or red select. Contact
a local sand and gravel outfit to see what would be normal in your
area. This will still require a thin layer of sand for fine
grading under the pavers.

Let us know how it turns out.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"DoDa" wrote in message
el...
The original concrete pad is about 6 inches deep

Posted to alt.home.repair

DoDa wrote:
Not sure what kind of soil is under it. It is a concrete pad ..I would guess
about 1 or 2 inches thick...hard to tell as most of it is eroded and flaking
off. What is left would probably have to be hammered out. So to save work
..I though just putting down a thick layer of sand and laying new patio
blocks on top would do.

If you are gonna go to all the work of laying pavers- and it is a lot of
work- best to do it right the first time. You don't wanna do it twice.

The price of pavers these days, unless a SWMBO was involved, I'd call in
a flatwork company and have the concrete replaced. If patio has
footings, they can sometimes be reused, if they haven't heaved.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
It must have been some real junky concrete if it was 6 and broke
up so bad. I think we can assume it has finished settling. If
the area is not prone to holding lots of water after a rain, I'd
go for it. Rather than sand, I would suggest a compactable select
fill. Here it would be called crusher run or red select. Contact
a local sand and gravel outfit to see what would be normal in your
area. This will still require a thin layer of sand for fine
grading under the pavers.

Let us know how it turns out.

That begs the question- if he adds, say, six inches of
gravel/sand/pavers to the residue of the existing patio, where will that
come up to on the foundation and door openings? Can't say without seeing
it, but I don't see many patios where you can add six inches, unless
there is a step in front of all the doors.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 7:16*pm, "DanG" wrote:
It must have been some real junky concrete if it was 6 and broke
up so bad. *I think we can assume it has finished settling. *If
the area is not prone to holding lots of water after a rain, I'd
go for it. *Rather than sand, I would suggest a compactable select

It probably didn't have any rebar either.

Andy

what to do with cracked concrete patio hands on Home Repair 17 November 3rd 07 08:07 PM
Concrete Patio JJA UK diy 2 April 28th 07 12:00 PM
Concrete patio gary Home Repair 0 October 22nd 06 12:06 AM
Concrete or brick patio [email protected] Home Repair 16 June 15th 06 09:03 PM
Bricks over concrete patio? Walter R. Home Repair 20 June 12th 06 04:54 PM