Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shingle (laminates) bundles on roof - How long?

How long can I leave these on the roof? They are in bundles plastic wrapped
no more than 2 high - temperature in 60's, sometimes low 70's. They have
been up there for 3 weeks so far and seem ok, a little sticky when hot but
they separate ok when it cools down
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
How long can I leave these on the roof? They are in bundles plastic
wrapped no more than 2 high - temperature in 60's, sometimes low 70's.
They have been up there for 3 weeks so far and seem ok, a little sticky
when hot but they separate ok when it cools down

Yer pushin' it. Are you keeping them under a tarp, at least? Air temp
isn't the problem, sunlight is. There is a reason lumber yard keeps
these under roof. Unless the dots melt enough to get past the plastic
guard strip, they should still work okay. A bigger concern is making a
bowed spot in your decking or even a rafter- that is a lot of dead
weight in one spot. And is rest of roof in tarpaper, or are you putting
on a second layer? Neither is a really good idea- the tarpaper isn't
supposed to be the weather roof for more than a few days, and overlays
in general are to be avoided, for lots of reasons.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote:

How long can I leave these on the roof? They are in bundles plastic wrapped
no more than 2 high - temperature in 60's, sometimes low 70's. They have
been up there for 3 weeks so far and seem ok, a little sticky when hot but
they separate ok when it cools down

Depends on where you live. I'm in NY & just finished up a bundle that
I'd left on the garage roof in Nov 2002.

South facing roof- no shade- paper wrapped- 25 yr shingles. A
couple that were just lying on the roof stuck where they weren't
wanted-- but the bundle was intact & all the cellophane did its job.
The shingles were even flexible enough to do the ridge cap with.

I think AEM is in TX-- probably a little warmer on his roof.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark" wrote in message
How long can I leave these on the roof? They are in bundles plastic
wrapped no more than 2 high - temperature in 60's, sometimes low 70's.
They have been up there for 3 weeks so far and seem ok, a little sticky
when hot but they separate ok when it cools down

So what is it you're concerned about?

From your post and the replies I assume it's the condition of the shingles.
But how about other damage to your roor or the potential damage to third
parites if the shingles should slide, fall or blow away?