Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathtub drain stopper won't stay up

Hi,

I recently moved in to my first house a few months ago. Over those few
months the stopper in the main bathtub gradually stopped being able to
stay in the up position to allow water to drain. Currently the stopper
won't stay up at all. The stopper is the type (from what I've gathered
by reading stuff online) that you can simply can push down with your
foot or pull up with your hand to let the water begin to drain.

The problem is I can't find anything in the mechanism of the stopper
that would allow it to stay in the up position. There is nothing there
to catch it from what I can tell. I unscrewed it and simply found a
short metal rod that had a threaded hole in it. I can't tell how long
the rod is but it is in a hollow housing that allows it to move up and
down. The rod is almost round but it is flat on 2 sides (rounded on the
other 2 sides).

On the side that is closest to the water faucet in the tub there is a
screw that goes in from the side. Without a 90 degree head for a
screwdriver I can't do anything with this screw and I can't tell whether
something should be done to it. The previous owners didn't live here and
only bought it to fix it up (including this bathtub). Since I can't
really tell what the mechanism is for making the stopper stay up I'm
hesitant to go out and attempt another; I doubt this one is defective in
any way. But does anyone have any ideas on what to do to fix this issue?
Should I attempt to screw the screw in more so that it causes more
friction with the rod when I move the stopper up and down?

My ASCII art is horrible but I gave it a shot. Below is my drain as if
you were looking down into it. The "X" made by the slashes are simply
the supports for the part that holds the hole for stopper to screw in
to. The "O" in the middle represents the threaded hole the stopper goes
into. The -: represents the screw that I see as well as the direction.
It is perpendicular to the hole the stopper screws into. The rod (for
lack of a better word) that the "O" is in moves up and down with the
stopper and, unfortunately with no friction, it currently is always in
the "down" position which means water can't drain if I screw the stopper
back into the hole.

Front of tub ---
_______
/\ / \
/ \ __/ \
/ / \ \
| | O|-: |
\ \__/ /
\ / \ /
\/ \/
--------

thanks
Brandon
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brandon McCombs" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

*Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that you can take it to a
plumbing supply company and buy a replacement. It sounds as though it is
broken and not worth fixing.

Foot-activated bathtub stopper? ? ? Ray Home Repair 3 October 29th 08 05:43 AM
Removing Bathtub Stopper Kent_Diego Home Repair 4 June 26th 08 04:27 PM
Bathtub drain Jark Home Repair 2 July 15th 07 01:33 AM
Drain Stopper "Rapid-Fit" Problem Senin Home Repair 3 June 7th 07 04:47 PM
Drain basket won't stay up in sink! [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 16th 07 09:52 PM