Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harleysville insurance

Anyone using them? My agent called today and wants to replace my (up for
renewal) policies with policies from this company. It would save me a bundle
on both homeowners and auto. I could not find anything bad about them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Anyone using them? My agent called today and wants to replace my (up for
renewal) policies with policies from this company. It would save me a bundle
on both homeowners and auto. I could not find anything bad about them.

I have friends who live in Harleysville. Does that count?

But seriously I wonder if something happened that allowed PA insurance
companies to become more competitive? My buddy and I were at a event a
month ago. A local agent had a table set up. I almost never bother
asking for insurance quotes anymore because there never seems to be a
difference. They represented Erie insurance. I got the guys email
address and scanned the policies, blanked the cost and sent it to him.
Two days later he did an outside inspection of the house and sent me
quotes that were significantly lower than what I am paying. Same for my
buddy. I changed to them 2 weeks ago. I also told my brother about it
and he also got a significant reduction.

I haven't heard anything bad about Harleysville and have known people
who bought insurance from them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
I have friends who live in Harleysville. Does that count?

Close enough.

But seriously I wonder if something happened that allowed PA insurance
companies to become more competitive? My buddy and I were at a event a
month ago. A local agent had a table set up. I almost never bother asking
for insurance quotes anymore because there never seems to be a difference.
They represented Erie insurance. I got the guys email address and scanned
the policies, blanked the cost and sent it to him. Two days later he did
an outside inspection of the house and sent me quotes that were
significantly lower than what I am paying. Same for my buddy. I changed to
them 2 weeks ago. I also told my brother about it and he also got a
significant reduction.

I haven't heard anything bad about Harleysville and have known people who
bought insurance from them.

My homeowners will go from the present $800+ to the proposed $1103, but
Harleysville is coming in at $512. I've heard stories about some companies
inspecting and demanding silly changes so while I'm reluctant to rock the
boat, the savings for home and auto will be $1300 a year. MY house is in
good condition, no code violations, etc so it is not a big deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Anyone using them? My agent called today and wants to replace my (up for
renewal) policies with policies from this company. It would save me a bundle
on both homeowners and auto. I could not find anything bad about them.

More importantly, what could you find out good about them? Most
critically, level of financial backing, etc. Doesn't matter what the
premium is if they're not still around or don't have assets when need
them. Most important in areas prone to large-scale events where Gulf
Coast seemed to demonstrate that rates were based as if risks were
independent for each property where in fact, there's a very high and
widespread common-cause problem in that locale that negates the
assumption. Thus, many smaller went belly-up and even the big boys were
sorely stressed. Length of existence is another useful statistic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 May 2009 21:53:15 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

Anyone using them? My agent called today and wants to replace my (up for
renewal) policies with policies from this company. It would save me a bundle
on both homeowners and auto. I could not find anything bad about them.

A friend, insurance broker, sold me Harleyville Homeowners insurance
about 26 years ago. I switched for no good reason, nothing to do with
them, after a couple years, and I had no claims while I was insured by
them. So I can't judge. Except they've been around for at least 26
years.

It was a replacement value policy. I wonder what they or any company
would have done if the house had burned down taking my 15 old tv's
with it. Would they really have paid replacement cost for 15 tv's?
Assume I had pictures of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"George" wrote in message
[...]

My recent change to Erie represents a 31% reduction of auto and
homeowner premiums combined.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone using them? My agent called today and wants to replace my (up for
renewal) policies with policies from this company. It would save me a bundle
on both homeowners and auto. I could not find anything bad about them.

A friend, insurance broker, sold me Harleyville Homeowners insurance
about 26 years ago. I switched for no good reason, nothing to do with
them, after a couple years, and I had no claims while I was insured by
them. So I can't judge. Except they've been around for at least 26
years.

It was a replacement value policy. I wonder what they or any company
would have done if the house had burned down taking my 15 old tv's
with it. Would they really have paid replacement cost for 15 tv's?
Assume I had pictures of them.

I recently changed to Erie and was asking around before I did. Turns out
a good friend who had their house trashed (items destroyed and/or
stolen) last year during an apparent drug crazed burglary had Erie
insurance. He said he had photos and an itemized list of everything and
they didn't even blink when issuing the check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone using them? *My agent called today and wants to replace my (up for
renewal) policies with policies from this company. It would save me a bundle
on both homeowners and auto. *I could not find anything bad about them..

A friend, insurance broker, sold me Harleyville Homeowners insurance
about 26 years ago. *I switched for no good reason, nothing to do with
them, after a couple years, and I had no claims while I was insured by
them. *So I can't judge. *Except they've been around for at least 26
years. *

It was a replacement value policy. *I wonder what they or any company
would have done if the house had burned down taking my 15 old tv's
with it. *Would they really have paid replacement cost for 15 tv's?
Assume I had pictures of them.

What kinds of old tv's do you have, I'm looking for a horizontal
output transformer for a 1955 Admiral set. Please contact me directly.