Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Popcorn" paint

I live in The Villages in Florida.
Friend has ceiling of her garage painted with "popcorn".
House is 9 years old. some of the paint is coming off, but there is no
sign of water damage of any kind. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 4:31*pm, LouB wrote:
I live in The Villages in Florida.
Friend has ceiling of her garage painted with "popcorn".
House is 9 years old. some of the paint is coming off, but there is no
sign of water damage of any kind. *Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Lou

It is in a lot of Florida houses, including mine. My house was built
in 1986 ... the popcorn falls in bits and pieces but it stays on
through paintings. We bought a fancy, long shaggy roller to use when
painting and it didn't work as well as the cheap through away types
that cost about a dollar at the store. We were using white latex
ceiling paint. I have read that you can remove it but it's a messy
job. You can buy some stuff at Home Depot to patch it if you get
large places where it has fallen off but I have not used it and don't
know if it really works.

The fact that it is falling off is not a sign of leaks or damage ...
it's just the way it is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

LouB wrote in :

I live in The Villages in Florida.
Friend has ceiling of her garage painted with "popcorn".
House is 9 years old. some of the paint is coming off, but there is no
sign of water damage of any kind. Anyone have experience with this
stuff?

Lou

Depends on how bad. I've seen lots of them have isolated areas that
loosen and flake here and there. Key is isolated. If they stay intact,
I've put them back up using glue, paint or mud on the back. If not in
tact, see an old post of mine reposted below.

In that case I just guess maybe some dirt was in the spots and adhesion
was not the same as the rest. Another thing I suspect (guessing again) is
the insualtion above (blown fiberglass) may have some voids creating hot
spots in the ceiling drywall resulting in extreme dryout.

===================================

Subject: Popcorn ceiling
Newsgroups: PeoplePC:alt.home.repair
To: in2dadark

in2dadark wrote in news:25aefee7-6fd0-455b-96d8-
:

There are a couple of spots on my popcorn ceiling that lost its pop.
Can I repair this with spackle and a sponge or do they sell somehthing
more specific for this.?
Thanks.

The sprays are expensive and a real crapshoot. I found the product below
at
the Blue Borg. It works quite well if you ask me considering the low rate
of success most have fixing popcorn. Premixed. The popcorn itself is
actually polystyrene chips. Matching is just a matter of how good you get
at doing it. Dab on with a cheap paint brush. Don't like what you're
getting just wipe it off with wet rag. Let it dry and paint with ceiling
paint. Paid 5 bucks for a qt. Goes a long way. Wish I found it long ago
actually.

http://homaxproducts.com/products/texture/14/index.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
I live in The Villages in Florida.
Friend has ceiling of her garage painted with "popcorn".
House is 9 years old. some of the paint is coming off, but there is no
sign of water damage of any kind. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Lou

It can flake off, especially in high humidity. It is a real PITA to paint
over. I'm not sure what I'd do in a garage, but in my house, we scraped all
the crap off and repainted with regular primer and ceiling paint. In a
garage, I'd probably touch up the bare spots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bad stuff to have. Scrape it all off!

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 May 2009 16:31:30 -0400, LouB wrote:

I live in The Villages in Florida.
Friend has ceiling of her garage painted with "popcorn".
House is 9 years old. some of the paint is coming off, but there is no
sign of water damage of any kind. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Lou

You need to wipe the disk and reinstall Windows. .... No, wait, that's
trolling in another group.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
I live in The Villages in Florida.
Friend has ceiling of her garage painted with "popcorn".
House is 9 years old. some of the paint is coming off, but there is no
sign of water damage of any kind. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Lou

The normal heating and cooling of the garage will loosen the popcorn. If
you want it off, just spray it with water and let if soak for a short period
of time and it will come off easy with some scraping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
I live in The Villages in Florida.
Friend has ceiling of her garage painted with "popcorn".
House is 9 years old. some of the paint is coming off, but there is no
sign of water damage of any kind. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Lou

First choice is to remove the popcorn. Simple. Move everything out of the
room, spray with water, let soak for five minutes, scrape. Redo underlying
sheetrock with texture, or just sand and paint. Second choice is to spray a
thick coat of latex interior paint on it from an airless. Again, remove
everything. Both are MESSY.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message
I live in The Villages in Florida.
Friend has ceiling of her garage painted with "popcorn".
House is 9 years old. some of the paint is coming off, but there is no
sign of water damage of any kind. Anyone have experience with this
stuff?

Lou

First choice is to remove the popcorn. Simple. Move everything out of
the room, spray with water, let soak for five minutes, scrape. Redo
underlying sheetrock with texture, or just sand and paint. Second choice
is to spray a thick coat of latex interior paint on it from an airless.
Again, remove everything. Both are MESSY.

Steve

Thanks??

You have two choices. Put band aids on it or fix it. It's that simple.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lou, I guess it's just too humid there. The popcorn and the tape
don't stay well. My dad is at Top of the World and I redid the
patio and front porch tape that had let go with thermal setting
drywall mud. It has held up well for over 6 years.

His garage lost the popcorn and much of the drywall tape. I
removed the popcorn, ran an upside down base mold around the
ceiling line rather than retape the wall ceiling perimeter and
used the thermal again on the joints. Looks good and is holding
up well for at least 2 years.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .