Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HOA demands Marine remove bumper-stickers

Home Owners Association letter says "advertising" is prohibited on vehicles.

"It's not "advertising," says the disabled Marine. "You can't BUY freedom!"

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...0528_251 8563

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 10:20*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Home Owners Association letter says "advertising" is prohibited on vehicles.

"It's not "advertising," says the disabled Marine. "You can't BUY freedom!"

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...Asks_Vet_to_Re...

Well, that's a new low, isn't it? And if the regulation pertains to
advertising, I think they don't have much of a case. I think most
reasonable people would interpret that to mean commercial advertising.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

Just remember Congress decided a BJ is not sex.

Now if I could just get my wife to agree.

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On May 29, 10:20 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Home Owners Association letter says "advertising" is prohibited on
vehicles.

"It's not "advertising," says the disabled Marine. "You can't BUY
freedom!"

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...Asks_Vet_to_Re...

Well, that's a new low, isn't it? And if the regulation pertains to
advertising, I think they don't have much of a case. I think most
reasonable people would interpret that to mean commercial advertising.

Anyone that moves into an area with a HOA deserves whatever hapens to them.
The HOA can make decisions an almost anything.
Just remember Congress decided a BJ is not sex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:
Home Owners Association letter says "advertising" is prohibited on
vehicles.

"It's not "advertising," says the disabled Marine. "You can't BUY
freedom!"

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...0528_251 8563

The irony is that the moonbat who objected to his stickers is the kind of
person who pays lip service to the "tolerance and diversity" bull****.

People who preach tolerance are some of the most intolerant people there
are.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 29, 9:20*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Home Owners Association letter says "advertising" is prohibited on vehicles.

"It's not "advertising," says the disabled Marine. "You can't BUY freedom!"

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...Asks_Vet_to_Re...

Where's the ACLU when you need them?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Joe spewed forth:
On May 29, 9:20 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Home Owners Association letter says "advertising" is prohibited on
vehicles.

"It's not "advertising," says the disabled Marine. "You can't BUY
freedom!"

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...Asks_Vet_to_Re...

Where's the ACLU when you need them?

Joe

Defending a commie somewhereg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
On May 29, 9:20 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Home Owners Association letter says "advertising" is prohibited on
vehicles.

"It's not "advertising," says the disabled Marine. "You can't BUY
freedom!"

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...Asks_Vet_to_Re...

Where's the ACLU when you need them?

I prefer to ask "When's the ACLU where we need them?"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On May 29, 10:20 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Home Owners Association letter says "advertising" is prohibited on
vehicles.

"It's not "advertising," says the disabled Marine. "You can't BUY
freedom!"

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...Asks_Vet_to_Re...

Well, that's a new low, isn't it? And if the regulation pertains to
advertising, I think they don't have much of a case. I think most
reasonable people would interpret that to mean commercial advertising.

If you watched the news video, they showed cars supporting Obama and other
endeavors. Virtually every car these days comes with some dealership emblem.
What about "Support Longsleeve Shirts" and other special license plates?
Does the name "Firestone" in white letters on a tire constitute
'advertising?'

If about 100 Marines showed up at this dude's office with a rational reason
or two, I suspect the president of the HOA would be convinced to change his
mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 9:20*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Home Owners Association letter says "advertising" is prohibited on vehicles.

"It's not "advertising," says the disabled Marine. "You can't BUY freedom!"

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...Asks_Vet_to_Re...

Sounds like a fun place to live.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Home Owners Association letter says "advertising" is prohibited on vehicles.

"It's not "advertising," says the disabled Marine. "You can't BUY freedom!"

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...0528_251 8563

My condo assn. tried to make a unit owner park his "commercial vehicle"
elsewhere because commercial trucks can't be parked so they are visible
from the street (ain't this heaven?)...but this particular "commercial
vehicle" was a city owned truck which the guy drove home when he was on
call.

I'm the mom of a Marine, but I don't care for military families
believing rules don't apply to them....this guy has eight stickers on
his car, which makes it ok for everyone else to plaster sh-- all over
their cars if the HOA doesn't enforce. If the HOA receives a complaint
from another owner, they are then between a rock and a hard place. I
don't often defend, but I know plenty of jerks who do nothing but
complain and leave ALL of the work to condo boards.

There was a big too-doo about a military family in Fla. with signs in
the yard - mama thought her husband being in Iraq was a license to do as
she pleased.

Gee...come to think of it....I'd quit the board before I'd mess with a
Marine )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
m...
HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Sorry, mom. I don't think the HOA is between a rock and a hard place.

The easy, straight forward response is to reply to the complainant that he
is full of beans and stop making an ass of himself.
I spent several years as a board member in a different state. But if we had
a "problem" at least we had a rational discussion about what action if any
was required.
BTW, who sent the letter? Did the pres send it on his own? The other board
member didn't know about it.

My take is that if the HOA president did it on his own, he should be
replaced.
And the same goes or management company. They are just paid employees and
should be on the carpet trying to defend their continued employee.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

My condo assn. tried to make a unit owner park his "commercial vehicle"
elsewhere because commercial trucks can't be parked so they are visible
from the street (ain't this heaven?)...but this particular "commercial
vehicle" was a city owned truck which the guy drove home when he was on
call.

Had the same thing happen once in a nearby area where they got all
bent about a city owned commercial vehicle. It was a marked cop car. I'm
guessing the complaintant was probably the local meth dealer.

I'm the mom of a Marine, but I don't care for military families
believing rules don't apply to them....this guy has eight stickers on
his car, which makes it ok for everyone else to plaster sh-- all over
their cars if the HOA doesn't enforce. If the HOA receives a complaint
from another owner, they are then between a rock and a hard place. I
don't often defend, but I know plenty of jerks who do nothing but
complain and leave ALL of the work to condo boards.

But that isn't a commerical sign which is what the restrictions are.
It isn't that you can only have a certain number of bumperstickers or
license plates. There is nothing in the rules that says they can't
plaster sh** all over their cars. Just not commercial signs.

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:kurtullman-
:

In article ,
" wrote:

[...]

non-commercial bumper stickers are a free speech thing.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I'm the mom of a Marine, but I don't care for military families believing
rules don't apply to them....this guy has eight stickers on his car, which
makes it ok for everyone else to plaster sh-- all over their cars if the
HOA doesn't enforce. If the HOA receives a complaint from another owner,
they are then between a rock and a hard place. I don't often defend, but
I know plenty of jerks who do nothing but complain and leave ALL of the
work to condo boards.

But this guy has sticker, not advertisements. Did you watch the video clip?
Others have bumper sticker supporting other causes and political candidates.
They have to go to if they are going to apply the rules to everyone. Same
with the dealer's nameplate if it is on the car. In this case, the HOA is
out of line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message

I'm the mom of a Marine, but I don't care for military families
believing rules don't apply to them....this guy has eight stickers
on his car, which makes it ok for everyone else to plaster sh-- all
over their cars if the HOA doesn't enforce. If the HOA receives a
complaint from another owner, they are then between a rock and a
hard place. I don't often defend, but I know plenty of jerks who do
nothing but complain and leave ALL of the work to condo boards.

But this guy has sticker, not advertisements. Did you watch the video
clip? Others have bumper sticker supporting other causes and
political candidates. They have to go to if they are going to apply
the rules to everyone. Same with the dealer's nameplate if it is on
the car. In this case, the HOA is out of line.

What about the state slogans on special license plates? In Texas, where this
Marine lives, for a modest extra fee one can get a myriad of specialty
plates. Here are the ones just for military:

Air Force Cross
Airborne Parachutist
Armed Forces Reserve
Army Distinguished Service Cross
Congressional Medal of Honor (3 kinds)
Desert Storm Veteran
Disable Veteran
Distinguished Flying Cross
Enduring Freedom Veteran
Gold Star Family
Gold Star Mother
Gold Star Spouse
Korea Veteran
Marine Corps League
Navy Cross
Operation Iraqi Freedom
Pearl Harbor Survivor
Purple Heart
Silver Star
Texas Guard
Texas Wing Civil Air Patrol
U.S. Air Force
U.S. Air Force Academy
U.S. Army
U.S. Coast Guard
U.S. Coast Guard Auxillary
U.S. Marine Corps
U.S. Military Academy
U.S. Naval Academy
U.S. Navy
Vietnam Veteran
World War II Veteran

This listing was an exansion of the "Military" category. Other categories
include: Colleges(27), Organizations(68), Sports Teams(7), Public Servant
(21), Antique & Classic(6), Motorcycle, Personalized, Souvenir, and
Government. See:
http://rts.texasonline.state.tx.us/N...id=30&pltid=42

for all the opportunities the state has for its drivers to give it money.

I agree the president of the HOA was out of line. Shortly he will learn that
when you **** with a Marine, you've done ****ed with the entire Corps.

Marine Corp! When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
I'm the mom of a Marine, but I don't care for military families believing
rules don't apply to them....this guy has eight stickers on his car, which
makes it ok for everyone else to plaster sh-- all over their cars if the
HOA doesn't enforce. If the HOA receives a complaint from another owner,
they are then between a rock and a hard place. I don't often defend, but
I know plenty of jerks who do nothing but complain and leave ALL of the
work to condo boards.

But this guy has sticker, not advertisements. Did you watch the video clip?
Others have bumper sticker supporting other causes and political candidates.
They have to go to if they are going to apply the rules to everyone. Same
with the dealer's nameplate if it is on the car. In this case, the HOA is
out of line.

But...But..But It's the EEEVEL MILITARY the fellow is supporting on his
car! Methinks this is the same sort of thing as not inviting them to
campus job fairs, and not letting the HS Guidance Counselor have their
brochures in his rack.

Mind you, I'm not defending the military blindly, despite having been a
civilian employee of theirs for 28 years. They do screw up a lot of
stuff, and probably waste one dollar out of three in their budget. But
this blind hatred I see of people in that line of work is annoying.
Sure, there is plenty of room for improvement, but we really kinda do
need people that do what they do. I find a bunch of military stickers no
more objectionable than all the sill 'my kid is a...' stickers, or the
NASCAR wanna-be's with their homage '3' stickers, or the thousand and
one other things people put on their car to try and create meaning in
their lives.

Me, I keep my cars blank, other than the legally required license plate.
I prefer to keep people guessing. I peel off dealer stickers, and
****can or paint over the dealer license plate frames.

Oh, and HOAs can burn in hell, AFAIAC. I'll live in an apartment before
I buy in a neighborhood like that.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Me, I keep my cars blank, other than the legally required license plate.
I prefer to keep people guessing. I peel off dealer stickers, and
****can or paint over the dealer license plate frames.

Me too ... Florida is getting religious symbols on license plates now.
Fine with me, but me license plate doesn't define me, nor tell God how
special I am....folks sure have a right to flash symbols, but why are
license plates so damned important? If I want society to think I'm a
good Christian or Muslim or Jew, I guess I'll just live like one.

Oh, and HOAs can burn in hell, AFAIAC. I'll live in an apartment before
I buy in a neighborhood like that.

Hell IS a HOA and everyone there is president )

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 May 2009 17:06:26 -0400, "Charlie"
wrote:

My take is that if the HOA president did it on his own, he should be
replaced.
And the same goes or management company. They are just paid employees and
should be on the carpet trying to defend their continued employee.

Management companies are often lackeys for the president of the HOA.

I don't know about the whole company in my case, but the person
assigned to our HOA definitely is, and doens't hesitate to show
disdain for residents she and the president don't like.

I'm sure if I will president of the HOA, she'd do improper things
(like failure to provide papers to the Board) for me like she does for
the current one. Then I would get rid of her, or even if she didn't.
But I have no time to be pres. I don't even have time for this ng
anymore.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

" wrote:

[...]

It would be a First Amendment thing if the government were telling
them not to do this. As it is, it's some wacko president, but if it
were the duly elected board (perhaps approving their Speech
Suppression Committee recommendation) it might well be legal. IANAL
but I suspect even if government courts were used to collect the fine
the pres threatens to put on his home, that might not be a sufficient
nexus to make what the board did illegal. It's a good question.

If this were truly government action, this is just the kind of case
the ACLU would take, but and again, I'm not a lawyer, I don't think a
court can stop this except by showing the board didn't follow its own
rules, or reasonable rules if there were no rules. I think the
neighbors should get involved. Surely 90% would sign a petition,
surely they can elect new board members the next time, and then
reimburse the guy for his towing cost and fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 30 May 2009 02:44:44 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

But this guy has sticker, not advertisements. Did you watch the video clip?
Others have bumper sticker supporting other causes and political candidates.
They have to go to if they are going to apply the rules to everyone. Same
with the dealer's nameplate if it is on the car. In this case, the HOA is
out of line.

But...But..But It's the EEEVEL MILITARY the fellow is supporting on his
car! Methinks this is the same sort of thing as not inviting them to
campus job fairs, and not letting the HS Guidance Counselor have their
brochures in his rack.

I'm not sure what they mean by NorthEast Dallas, or what part of NE
Dallas. Somewhere north of downtown, around some lake, is where Ross
Perot lives and where GWB bought his new home (Did you know he bought
his ranch less than a year before he ran for president, and now that
he's not running anymore, he moved to Dallas?)

But the video didn't loook anywhere near as expensive as that area.
Was it my imagination or did they have one long carport for eveyrone's
car?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm the mom of a Marine, but I don't care for military families
believing rules don't apply to them....this guy has eight stickers on his
car, which makes it ok for everyone else to plaster sh-- all over their
cars if the HOA doesn't enforce.

Ok, that works for me as long as we do a quick recon of the neighborhood
cars:

"My Child is an Honor Student at Acme Middle School"..call "Captain HOOK.."
"Baby On board" tow the car AND the kid
"Mary Kay"..put a PINK slip on that one too and haul it to the yard
"Bush/Palin 2008" tow that baby back to Alaska !

"Sam Hall, Haul em ALL" !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
I'm the mom of a Marine, but I don't care for military families
believing rules don't apply to them....this guy has eight stickers on his
car, which makes it ok for everyone else to plaster sh-- all over their
cars if the HOA doesn't enforce.

Ok, that works for me as long as we do a quick recon of the neighborhood
cars:

"My Child is an Honor Student at Acme Middle School"..call "Captain HOOK.."
"Baby On board" tow the car AND the kid
"Mary Kay"..put a PINK slip on that one too and haul it to the yard
"Bush/Palin 2008" tow that baby back to Alaska !

"Sam Hall, Haul em ALL" !!

LOL....my condo assn. makes up rules as they go along, without
publishing them. One renter got a car towed because it was "inoperable"
(no plates) the day she brought it onto the property and she was away at
the time. I got a letter telling me I was in violation of the
"landscape policy" (violation not specified) after my hubby (building
manager) and I spent four years and about 3,000 hours cleaning up badly
neglected landscaping and major projects.....broken down sprinkler
system, busted concrete steps, no exterior lighting operable, rotted
broken fence, loads of dead wood in hedges, large areas in lawn that
were dead and bare, deep holes eroded along seawall. Hubby even was
criticized on the record for changing the color (green to white) of a
door - it was broken, so we took it apart, replaced broken dowels,
reglued and put it back together in time for it to be painted along with
the rest of the building ... louvered door. We corrected numerous code
violations and got a kick in the ass for doing so.

I have no problem whatsoever with HOA's having rules...most of the time
they have a purpose and they make sense. Those who don't like them
should either move or try to make reasonable changes. All it takes is
writing a letter or showing up at a board meeting....I get cranky with
folks who think they are more special than everyone else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/29/2009 10:32 PM (ET) HeyBub wrote the following:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

The US Navy: America's first line of defense.
The US Marine Corps: America's first line of Offense.

The US Army Airborne: Death from above.
The US Marine Corps: Death from everywhere.
:-)

Me? I was Navy.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Would that be 100 heavily armed marines?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message

If about 100 Marines showed up at this dude's office with a
rational reason
or two, I suspect the president of the HOA would be
convinced to change his
mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, so true.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message ...

The irony is that the moonbat who objected to his stickers
is the kind of
person who pays lip service to the "tolerance and diversity"
bull****.

People who preach tolerance are some of the most intolerant
people there
are.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
willshak wrote:

The US Navy: America's first line of defense.
The US Marine Corps: America's first line of Offense.

The US Army Airborne: Death from above.
The US Marine Corps: Death from everywhere.
:-)

Me? I was Navy.

I guy I worked with a few years was a retired Navy Medic that served
with the Marines. Every time he ran into a Jarhead he enjoyed reminding
them that while the Marines are the best in the world at blowing up
things and killing people, things that require more finesse (such as
keeping their skinny little a**es alive) fell to the Navy. Never got an
argument. (g).

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Would that be 100 heavily armed marines?

Probably not. I am thinking in this case 100 Marines in civilian attire
but with the USMC stare would probably do the trick.

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Would that be 100 heavily armed marines?

No. That would be intimidating.

If they needed weapons, they could probably gnaw a table leg into a suitable
club.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Would that be 100 heavily armed marines?

Is there any other kind?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 12:38*pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
*"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

Just remember Congress decided a BJ is not sex.

* * * Now if I could just get my wife to agree.

I'm at a loss as to how to interpret what you just wrote.

So that when she says "No sex", he can still get a BJ.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Jul 9, 12:38=A0pm, jeff_wisnia
wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
=A0"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

Just remember Congress decided a BJ is not sex.

Now if I could just get my wife to agree.

I'm at a loss as to how to interpret what you just wrote.

So that when she says "No sex", he can still get a BJ.

Or if he gets one from somebody else, he can say "I did not have sex with that
woman".