Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathroom fan-light-heat

I'm going to replace my 35 year old bathroom fan-light-heater combo that has
been in the house since it was built. The new one is also fan-light-heat.

I haven't done this before and am looking for some guidelines on how to
install the new one, purchased from Lowes-it is a Broan brand. The old one
is a Chromolox brand.

The new one appears to be the same size, or roughly the same size, as the
old one. I purchased a new three button switch for the new fan.

The old fan has always vented into the attic and I will initially vent the
new fan into the attic. I hope to change this later, but I haven't had any
problems with mildew, etc. The attic is somewhat spacious-house about 2200
ft., northern Texas.

The entire bathroom is on a 20 amp circuit. I would like to place the new
fan on separate 20 amp circuit, but will not do this right away.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 10:08*am, "trailer" wrote:
I'm going to replace my 35 year old bathroom fan-light-heater combo that has
been in the house since it was built. *The new one is also fan-light-heat.

I haven't done this before and am looking for some guidelines on how to
install the new one, purchased from Lowes-it is a Broan brand. *The old one
is a Chromolox brand.

The new one appears to be the same size, or roughly the same size, as the
old one. *I purchased a new three button switch for the new fan.

If you have an existing 3 toggle switch, just replace wire for wire.

The old fan has always vented into the attic and I will initially vent the
new fan into the attic. *I hope to change this later, but I haven't had any
problems with mildew, etc. *The attic is somewhat spacious-house about 2200
ft., northern Texas.

Its done a lot. Although not the right way, if you have no problems
before and the attic is vented good, then fine.

The entire bathroom is on a 20 amp circuit. *I would *like to place the new
fan on separate 20 amp circuit, but will not do this right away.

Just the heat part alone should be on a seperate circuit. If you look
in the manual, it will tell you that. Even though your bathroom is on
1 circuit, it will not hold up if you have the heat and hair dryer on
together.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Its straightfoward. You need to install and wire the fan in the
attic. Also if the fan is anywhere inside the shower or tub, it must
be on a GFI.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trailer" wrote in message
[...]

I would install a large junction box adjacent to the unit, in the attic.
Run your existing feed into the junction box. Install a length of 12/4G
Romex from the box into the unit. Run a length of 12/4G Romex from the box
to the three position switch. Connect all the ground conductors at their
various locations.

Connect the white wire from the feed to the white wire of the unit.
Connect the black feed wire to the white wire going to the switch.(remark it
black)
and connect it to the "common" terminal of the switch.
Now you have three wires going from the junction box to the switch,
Red-Black-Blue, and three wire going from the junction box to the unit,
Red-Black-Blue, Splice them together at the junction box, color for color,
and connect them at the switch and unit, to their corresponding functions.
At a later date, if you run a new feed, just disconnect the existing one and
replace it.