Posted to alt.home.repair

Default U brackets, nailing

I have some U-shaped brackets that I'm nailing into a 4x4 post. The
brackets will hold a 2x4 stringer. The nailing hole in the bracket is
in the base of the "U", and it's hard to nail the nail without
damaging the surrounding legs of the bracket. I've been using a
nailset. Is there any technique to make this easier or any piece of
equipment that will help? I'm wondering if a framing nailer could
drive a nail right through the metal into the wood.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have some U-shaped brackets that I'm nailing into a 4x4 post. The
brackets will hold a 2x4 stringer. The nailing hole in the bracket is
in the base of the "U", and it's hard to nail the nail without
damaging the surrounding legs of the bracket. I've been using a
nailset. Is there any technique to make this easier or any piece of
equipment that will help? I'm wondering if a framing nailer could
drive a nail right through the metal into the wood.

A framing nailer will *possibly* drive a nail through the metal. Most
likely, the nail will curl up into a coil, then bounce back and put out
your eye. (Your mom did warn you that you could put out an eye, didn't
she? :-) )

Get yourself a palm nailer. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

I've seen ads for bracket nailers that let you put the nail accurately
through the holes, but I've never used one.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2009 02:07:34 +0000 (UTC), "SteveBell"
wrote:

Get yourself a palm nailer. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

YES!!! That's exactly what I need. I will order one today.

Thank you!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 5:51*pm, Greg Esres wrote:
I have some U-shaped brackets that I'm nailing into a 4x4 post. *The
brackets will hold a 2x4 stringer. *The nailing hole in the bracket is
in the base of the "U", and it's hard to nail the nail without
damaging the surrounding legs of the bracket. *I've been using a
nailset. *Is there any technique to make this easier or any piece of
equipment that will help? *I'm wondering if a framing nailer could
drive a nail right through the metal into the wood.

Any thoughts appreciated.

If you angle the nail you should be able to hand drive the joist
hanger nails....use a milled face hammer

Steve's suggestion of a Palm nailer is a good one but hand nailing is
doable.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 28, 9:07*pm, "SteveBell" wrote:
she? :-) )

snip

Get yourself a palm nailer. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

snip

Absolutely the best way to go. Just finished putting up a dozen joist
hangers with my palm nailer and it's like "Braaaappp!!" and they're
done. Get the Senco palm nailer if you can find one. It's a sweetheart
of a tool. You'll use it more than you think because it is more
controllable than swinging a framing hammer. Installing solid bridging
between joists is one good example where the hammer in a 14" space
seems to take forever and framing nailers can be too clumsy in
confined situations.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 28 May 2009 19:51:12 -0500, Greg Esres
wrote:

I have some U-shaped brackets that I'm nailing into a 4x4 post. The
brackets will hold a 2x4 stringer. The nailing hole in the bracket is
in the base of the "U", and it's hard to nail the nail without
damaging the surrounding legs of the bracket. I've been using a
nailset. Is there any technique to make this easier or any piece of
equipment that will help? I'm wondering if a framing nailer could
drive a nail right through the metal into the wood.

Any thoughts appreciated.

What about using a drift or something wider than a nail set. I have a
rod from junior high school. My project was to use a lathe to make a
nail set, but the 12 weeks ended before I finished. So it is knurled,
but other than that, unchanged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

What about using a drift or something wider than a nail set. I have a
rod from junior high school. My project was to use a lathe to make a
nail set, but the 12 weeks ended before I finished. So it is knurled,
but other than that, unchanged.

It took you 12 weeks to knurl a rod?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2009 11:22 PM Smitty Two spake thus:

In article ,
mm wrote:

What about using a drift or something wider than a nail set. I have a
rod from junior high school. My project was to use a lathe to make a
nail set, but the 12 weeks ended before I finished. So it is knurled,
but other than that, unchanged.

It took you 12 weeks to knurl a rod?

Boy, I thought *I* was a perfectionist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 2:22*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*mm wrote:

What about using a drift or something wider than a nail set. *I have a
rod from junior high school. *My project was to use a lathe to make a
nail set, but the 12 weeks ended before I finished. *So it is knurled,
but other than that, unchanged.

It took you 12 weeks to knurl a rod?

In the shop class I was in that sounds about normal. One tool 40 kids
wanting to use it. Fifty minute class 10 minutes to take roll and get
to the shop another 10 or 15 minutes every day cleaning up before the
end of the period. If you needed to use something that took some setup
time forget it.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
mm wrote:

What about using a drift or something wider than a nail set. I have a
rod from junior high school. My project was to use a lathe to make a
nail set, but the 12 weeks ended before I finished. So it is knurled,
but other than that, unchanged.

It took you 12 weeks to knurl a rod?

Chuckle. When you have 4 lathes for 30 students, and the 'teacher'
whizzes through the setup instructions in 30 seconds, sure. You have to
figure it out on your own, or try to get one of the kinder and more
observant students to assist you. BTDT.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

*mm wrote:

What about using a drift or something wider than a nail set. *I have a
rod from junior high school. *My project was to use a lathe to make a
nail set, but the 12 weeks ended before I finished. *So it is knurled,
but other than that, unchanged.

It took you 12 weeks to knurl a rod?

When I reread my post, after it appeared here, I knew someone was
going to say that.

In the shop class I was in that sounds about normal. One tool 40 kids
wanting to use it. Fifty minute class 10 minutes to take roll and get
to the shop another 10 or 15 minutes every day cleaning up before the
end of the period. If you needed to use something that took some setup
time forget it.

You got it. I don't have a first-hand recollection of where all the
time went, but I think I got 20 to 60 minutes on the lathe altogether,
and even the knurling wasn't complete. Strangely, I use that rod more
than I use the nailset (or centerpunch?) that I was planning to make,
and bought instead.

Jimmie

Nailing to concrete? The Mays Home Repair 41 July 16th 16 09:57 PM
Nailing into red brick Staffbull UK diy 9 October 1st 06 12:19 PM
Subfloor Nailing Augustine Home Repair 8 February 23rd 06 10:34 PM
Nailing T1-11 siding Brad Parks Home Repair 3 October 23rd 04 01:34 PM