Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using paint remover on clothing

Found a nice bathrobe my neighbor had discarded; in good shape, except
there were a few small splotches of white paint on it.

Took it in, glopped some of my paint remover (3M Safest Stripper) on the
spots, let them sit 10-15 min., scrubbed them with an old toothbrush
under running water. Threw robe into the washer.

It came out fine. No discoloration or any other visible damage.

So maybe you don't have to throw out that nice shirt of yours you were
wearing when you thought you'd just touch up that paint job without
bothering to put on your work clothes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 8:10*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Found a nice bathrobe my neighbor had discarded; in good shape, except
there were a few small splotches of white paint on it.

Where did he "discard it" that you were able to get it from?

Took it in, glopped some of my paint remover (3M Safest Stripper) on the
spots, let them sit 10-15 min., scrubbed them with an old toothbrush
under running water. Threw robe into the washer.

It came out fine. No discoloration or any other visible damage.

So maybe you don't have to throw out that nice shirt of yours

But if I do throw it out are you going to come get it from my garbage?

you were
wearing when you thought you'd just touch up that paint job without
bothering to put on your work clothes.

"work clothes"? My work clothes are a shirt and a tie (and pants). I
don't paint in my "work clothes".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 7:10*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Found a nice bathrobe my neighbor had discarded; in good shape, except
there were a few small splotches of white paint on it.

Took it in, glopped some of my paint remover (3M Safest Stripper) on the
spots, let them sit 10-15 min., scrubbed them with an old toothbrush
under running water. Threw robe into the washer.

It came out fine. No discoloration or any other visible damage.

So maybe you don't have to throw out that nice shirt of yours you were
wearing when you thought you'd just touch up that paint job without
bothering to put on your work clothes.

Pickin neighbors garbage, thats disturbing. Will you now visit him
with it on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On May 28, 7:10 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
Found a nice bathrobe my neighbor had discarded; in good shape, except
there were a few small splotches of white paint on it.

Took it in, glopped some of my paint remover (3M Safest Stripper) on the
spots, let them sit 10-15 min., scrubbed them with an old toothbrush
under running water. Threw robe into the washer.

It came out fine. No discoloration or any other visible damage.

So maybe you don't have to throw out that nice shirt of yours you were
wearing when you thought you'd just touch up that paint job without
bothering to put on your work clothes.

Pickin neighbors garbage, thats disturbing. Will you now visit him
with it on.

I've been tempted before... people throw away crazy stuff. one time a
nice looking lawnmower. knocked on door to ask if I could have it to
see if I could get it running, while I was chatting with neighbor, junk
man came by and grabbed it. that'll learn me.

couple streets over someone is remodeling their kitchen, I have been
resisting the urge to climb in the dumpster and salvage their kitchen
cabinets for use in the garage. either people throw them away or put
them on craigslist for exorbitant money... no in between it seems

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4a1f2770$0$2715
:

Found a nice bathrobe my neighbor had discarded; in good shape, except
there were a few small splotches of white paint on it.

Can Jackin' !! (residential version of dumpster Diving).

Took it in, glopped some of my paint remover (3M Safest Stripper) on the
spots, let them sit 10-15 min., scrubbed them with an old toothbrush
under running water. Threw robe into the washer.

It came out fine. No discoloration or any other visible damage.

So maybe you don't have to throw out that nice shirt of yours you were
wearing when you thought you'd just touch up that paint job without
bothering to put on your work clothes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

couple streets over someone is remodeling their kitchen, I have been
resisting the urge to climb in the dumpster and salvage their kitchen
cabinets for use in the garage. either people throw them away or put them
on craigslist for exorbitant money... no in between it seems

I just completed installing a complete kitcab array in my workshop. It was
removed for a remodel around the corner from me and left at the curb for
city pickup. I asked the people and they said to help myself - including a
good 40 gal water heater! Also got an almost new fiberglass laundry tub -
it'll be outside, behind the shop for cleaning fish. About five years ago I
found an almost new 22" Snapper mower that "wouldn't run". Cleaned grass
clippings from the fuel system and I'm still using it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 10:28*pm, "1D10T" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

couple streets over someone is remodeling their kitchen, I have been
resisting the urge to climb in the dumpster and salvage their kitchen
cabinets for use in the garage. *either people throw them away or put them
on craigslist for exorbitant money... *no in between it seems

I just completed installing a complete kitcab array in my workshop. It was
removed for a remodel around the corner from me and left at the curb for
city pickup. I asked the people and they said to help myself - including a
good 40 gal water heater! Also got an almost new fiberglass laundry tub -
it'll be outside, behind the shop for cleaning fish. About five years ago I
found an almost new 22" Snapper mower that "wouldn't run". Cleaned grass
clippings from the fuel system and I'm still using it.

Hey, I've got nothing against dumpster diving for salvageable items,
BTDT.

But a paint stained bathrobe?

Gimme a break. Now we know what the well dressed troll wears these
days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
couple streets over someone is remodeling their kitchen, I have been
resisting the urge to climb in the dumpster and salvage their kitchen
cabinets for use in the garage. either people throw them away or put them
on craigslist for exorbitant money... no in between it seems

nate

I just put stuff out by the curb with a free sign. I'm on a low traffic
street, but everything goes. Grill, sofa, TV, monitor, toys, fish tank, and
on and on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/28/2009 7:57 PM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

On May 28, 10:28 pm, "1D10T" wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Not any more; that's the whole point of my post.

Gimme a break. Now we know what the well dressed troll wears these
days.

Wasn't "paint stained". It had a couple of small flecks of white paint
on it, as if someone had accidently brushed some paint on it. And like I
said, the paint is entirely gone. You can't tell any paint was there.

Oh, yeah, and my neighbor is a woman, not a man. And she's an even
bigger dumpster diver than I am.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 10:28 pm, "1D10T" wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Found--the gene that causes belief in genetic determinism- Hide quoted text -

Now this is getting real funny, you take home Ladies Clothes out of
you neighbors cans! So how do they fit, does the color compliment
you! G pickin, no big deal, I got 2 snow blowers and a printer that
just needed cleaning in the last 6 months, but thats Ladies bathwear
your doin, dude !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 10:28 pm, "1D10T" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Washed it after he was done sniffin' it
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 10:28 pm, "1D10T" wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

You can now give her the robe, suitably re-wrapped and packaged, as a "good
neighbor" gift.

And around this house, we don't call it "dumpster diving," we call it
"foraging."

Just in recent times, I've found:
* A 5-gallon military jerry-can that was used in the Battle of the Bulge
* Two 32x75" metal doors that are now workbenches
* A pole lamp
* About 500 sq ft of wet commercial carpeting tiles (I checked: $32/yd).
* Various art work (including a velvet picture of Elvis with eyes that
follow you)
* A repairable 2-cycle string trimmer
* A pet taxi
* A large box of piano sheet music - Jazz to Classics with a smattering of
Hymns
* Lotsa lumber
* A mannequin head (put it on pole and hold it next to 2nd floor apartment
window to create shrieks)

My son picked up a sunroof for a Corvette and sold it on Ebay for $240. Chip
off the old block, he is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 10:28 pm, "1D10T" wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

off the old block, he is.- Hide quoted text -

What you got was normal and the gas can sounds good, but you left the
neighbors clothes and got the good normal stuff, but taking home
ladies clothes, is, well, very disturbing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

What you got was normal and the gas can sounds good, but you left the
neighbors clothes and got the good normal stuff, but taking home
ladies clothes, is, well, very disturbing.

There's a big market for used ladies' clothing - especially in Japan where
ladies (actually schoolgirls) will accompany you to an alley or hallway so
you can watch them remove their undergarment, thereby guaranteeing
'freshness').

Vending machines can't be far behind.

Find a need and fill it, I always say.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

couple streets over someone is remodeling their kitchen, I have been
resisting the urge to climb in the dumpster and salvage their kitchen
cabinets for use in the garage. either people throw them away or put
them on craigslist for exorbitant money... no in between it seems

I see them free on craigslist or freecycle ALL the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oops! Sorry about your loss.

The one time I stopped and asked. The mower was between the
sidewalk and curb. Next to a pile of leaves. The guy had
just gone in to get a drink or watch TV or something. He was
plenty offended that I asked about his mower. I'm sure he'd
been even more angry if I just grabbed it and drove off.

Lesson: When you go in for a break, drag the mower, and
leave it right next to the house.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

I've been tempted before... people throw away crazy stuff.
one time a
nice looking lawnmower. knocked on door to ask if I could
have it to
see if I could get it running, while I was chatting with
neighbor, junk
man came by and grabbed it. that'll learn me.

couple streets over someone is remodeling their kitchen, I
have been
resisting the urge to climb in the dumpster and salvage
their kitchen
cabinets for use in the garage. either people throw them
away or put
them on craigslist for exorbitant money... no in between it
seems

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Using curb piles

"curb shopping".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Can Jackin' !! (residential version of dumpster Diving).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/29/2009 4:28 AM ransley spake thus:

[...]

I just love the ASS-umptions you're making here.

Though the source of this piece of clothing was a woman (who's a friend
of mine with whom I exchange lots of dumpster-dived materials), the robe
is an ordinary man's (or unisex) robe. No pink frilly lace or anything.

So while you tried to make an ASS out of U and ME, you only succeeded in
the former, as your ASS-umption was wrong.

Oh, and thanks to HeyBub: I too prefer to think of this activity as
"gleaning", as opposed to dumpster diving (though I take no offense at
being referred to as such a diver).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 2:02*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Do you think anybody will believe you now, naw. We know it was a
ladies robe, so how did it smell, pervert.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I just love the ASS-umptions you're making here.

Though the source of this piece of clothing was a woman (who's a
friend of mine with whom I exchange lots of dumpster-dived
materials), the robe is an ordinary man's (or unisex) robe. No pink
frilly lace or anything.
So while you tried to make an ASS out of U and ME, you only succeeded
in the former, as your ASS-umption was wrong.

Oh, and thanks to HeyBub: I too prefer to think of this activity as
"gleaning", as opposed to dumpster diving (though I take no offense at
being referred to as such a diver).

Yep. Got to remain alert. The world needs more lerts.

My little truck just ran out of gas* and I'm sitting here trying to cool off
after walking back.

Anyway, during the hike home I spied a keyboard tray sticking out of a pawn
shop dumpster. I grabbed it. It will be perfect for mounting under my router
table to hold router bits.

--------
* The gas gauge doesn't work and I miss-estimated the mileage.

The first time this happened was two days after I bought the truck (used).
Here I am standing on the side of the road about to shed my skin in rage,
when a constable pulls up behind and inquires as to the problem. I tell him
and the following conversation ensues:

Constable: "I'll be glad to give you a courtesy lift to the gas station if
you want."
Me: "I'd really appreciate that."
Constable: "You'll have to ride in the back. The front seat is full of
books."
Me: "No problem."
Constable: "Before you get in the car, I have to ask: are you carrying any
weapons?"
Me: "Yes. I have a five-shot revolver in my back pocket."
Constable: (taking a step backward) "You're kidding!?"
Me: "No, not kidding. But, on second thought, I think I'll walk to the gas
station. Thanks anyway."
Constable: "Hold it! I mean... Wait up there..., er... ah, do you have a
permit?"
Me: "Sure."
Constable: "Let me see it."
Me (hands over Concealed Handgun Permit)
Constable: (carfully examining both sides and edges) "We don't see too many
of these"
Me: "Duh"

About this time another constable arrives and stays with my lady friend in
the truck while the original constable and I hie off to the gas station. As
we return, I thank the officer profusely and say: "You didn't ask, so I'll
volunteer the information. My girlfriend has a Colt automatic in her purse,
there's a Beretta in the glove box, and a short-barrel pump shotgun behind
the driver's seat. Thanks again for the lift."

I left the cop banging his head against the steering wheel.

It's fun to torment the police. I know. I used to be one.