Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dead attic fan

We have two attic fans in the roof to take hot air out. Last year one
of them quit working. Would it still using electricity?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
We have two attic fans in the roof to take hot air out. Last year one
of them quit working. Would it still using electricity?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Yes.

Believe it or not, many of those cheapie roof fans (~$100.00 or less) have
oilers on the motor. Funny since almost *all* other HVAC motors which are
much easier to access have permanent lubrication.

Anyway, it could have burned up completely, or it may sitting up there
cycling on overload. I would physically disconnect the wiring or repair it
right away if I were you.

HTH, Lefty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote in
:

We have two attic fans in the roof to take hot air out. Last year one
of them quit working. Would it still using electricity?

Depends.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 15:44:24 -0500, "Bill Hall"
wrote:

Of all the many!! This has to be the ONE !G

I'm just a homeowner, not an electrician. I don't know, which is why
I'm asking.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote:
We have two attic fans in the roof to take hot air out. Last year one
of them quit working. Would it still using electricity?

Mine quit working. I unwired it and when I got a new roof had the
roofer put in a passive vent.

Next door neighbors caught fire one night. He was fortunate to have
another neighbor coming home late spot the flames and saving the house
from burning down or worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 16:40:55 -0400, "Lefty"
wrote:

Anyway, it could have burned up completely, or it may sitting up there
cycling on overload. I would physically disconnect the wiring or repair it
right away if I were you.

I thought I would turn the thermostat up enough so that it won't try
to cut on. There is a small metal box with a screw, but no indication
of which direction is higher/lower. It isn't warm enough yet for the
other one to come on. Is there a standard way (clockwise,
counterclockwise) that these things work?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

If the oil dries up, the motor may still be using
electricity and getting hot. Even if the fan isn't blowing.
So, yes. It could possibly be both an electrical and safety
(fire) problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message
Jud McCranie wrote:
We have two attic fans in the roof to take hot air out.
Last year one
of them quit working. Would it still using electricity?

Mine quit working. I unwired it and when I got a new roof
had the
roofer put in a passive vent.

Next door neighbors caught fire one night. He was fortunate
to have
another neighbor coming home late spot the flames and saving
the house
from burning down or worse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote in
:

wrote:

Anyway, it could have burned up completely, or it may sitting up there
cycling on overload. I would physically disconnect the wiring or
repair it right away if I were you.

I thought I would turn the thermostat up enough so that it won't try
to cut on. There is a small metal box with a screw, but no indication
of which direction is higher/lower. It isn't warm enough yet for the
other one to come on. Is there a standard way (clockwise,
counterclockwise) that these things work?

With the GAF Master gable power vents I've dealt with, lower temp (goes
on sooner) is counterclockwise. And of those I've dealt with 105 is the
recommended setting.

http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/20453.pdf

Your type, model and brand probably varies. Google it for the instruction
book.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 16:25:09 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

We have two attic fans in the roof to take hot air out. Last year one
of them quit working. Would it still using electricity?

If it has a fan belt that slipped off, yes.

No smoke - no fire!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 16:25:09 -0400, Jud McCranie wrote:
We have two attic fans in the roof to take hot air out. Last year one
of them quit working. Would it still using electricity?

It might. It depends on wether the motor is siezed (drawing current
but not turning), or burned out (not drawing current).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:28:32 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

It might. It depends on wether the motor is siezed (drawing current
but not turning), or burned out (not drawing current).

In the winter months, I tried to turn it, and it didn't turn freely,
seems to have seized. With a little force it started turning freely
again, but it hasn't been hot enough to come on yet.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It might. It depends on wether the motor is siezed (drawing current
but not turning), or burned out (not drawing current).

In the winter months, I tried to turn it, and it didn't turn freely,
seems to have seized. With a little force it started turning freely
again, but it hasn't been hot enough to come on yet.

You should disconnect it. It'll draw current and might even be a fire
hazard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote:
We have two attic fans in the roof to take hot air out. Last year one
of them quit working. Would it still using electricity?

Hmm,
Possible fire hazard.
Disconnect power or repair/replace them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 6:25*pm, Jud McCranie
wrote:
We have two attic fans in the roof to take hot air out. *Last year one
of them quit working. *Would it still using electricity?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Respectfully suggest DO NOT IGNORE the situation described.
Like there are advantages with most devices there are disadvantages.
Which in this case is something of a chance of a fire hazard?
..
At very least find out which circuit or fuse in your panel feeds that
circuit the fans are on and turn it off until the problem has been
diagnosed and corrected.

As an example; our bathroom (a much smaller fan) was grinding and
jammed up due to lint build up and needing lubrication.

Fortunately it has a separate switch; but one day before I got a
chance to remove the fan and clean and and lubricate the motor,
somebody, not knowing the problem, left it switched on!

That small fan, not turning, got quite warm. Not hot enough to catch
fire but QUITE warm. Up in the bathroom ceiling.

It has now been cleaned, had to put the fan blade through the
dishwasher to get the grunge off it, re-lubricated and installed. It
still runs slightly rough and one of these days I will have to find a
replacement motor or install new bearings.

So; with presumably a bigger (and potentially hotter and out sight
motor), please do not ignore! Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 4:25*pm, Jud McCranie
wrote:
We have two attic fans in the roof to take hot air out. *Last year one
of them quit working. *Would it still using electricity?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Hey Jud , Hows life in the Golden Isles. Yeah it probably still
drawing current even though its siezed up. You need to get that taken
care of.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 May 2009 09:41:03 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

Hows life in the Golden Isles.

OK, but sometimes hot. How did you know where I am?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hows life in the Golden Isles.

OK, but sometimes hot. *How did you know where I am?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Is anyone looking after the still in 'coochee. I stopped by with my
wife and daughter a few years ago and found the lock had been jimmied
and told the police.

Are you still playing tournament chess.

OK to stay on topic I repaired a couple of power vents but I have been
known to do some southern engineering. I replaced one blown motor with
a fairly large muffin fan and another after I trashed it I realized
the roller bearings that had siezed were the exact same ones used in
rollerblades. Replacing the bearing would have been an easy fix. I
could have even gotten ceramic replacements.

BTW my telephome number is prime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2009 15:32:30 -0700 (PDT), JIMMIE
wrote:

Are you still playing tournament chess.

The last one was about 2 years ago. My daughter plays in scholastic
tournaments. I help with them and with her school's chess team.

Are you Jimmy Fender?

--
Replace you know what by j to email