Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage disposal 'clamp nut' broke, is discontinued.

So the wife and I bought a house and moved in this past January. We
recently redid the kitchen, and in the process of switching out sinks,
broke the clamp ring on the otherwise really good garbage disposal (GE
GFC900Z-01) that came with the house. I looked it up online, ordered
the nut and the gasket, and got an email back saying they're
discontinued.

http://www.appliance-parts-warehouse...arts-12852.cfm

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to replace this disposal over $5
in parts. I'd love to hear some suggestions on how I could clamp this
sucker on so that the water doesn't leak out around the flange.
Thanks in advance
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 May 2009 14:24:59 -0700 (PDT), Matthew Dunphy
wrote:

So the wife and I bought a house and moved in this past January. We
recently redid the kitchen, and in the process of switching out sinks,
broke the clamp ring on the otherwise really good garbage disposal (GE
GFC900Z-01) that came with the house. I looked it up online, ordered
the nut and the gasket, and got an email back saying they're
discontinued.

http://www.appliance-parts-warehouse...arts-12852.cfm

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to replace this disposal over $5
in parts. I'd love to hear some suggestions on how I could clamp this
sucker on so that the water doesn't leak out around the flange.
Thanks in advance

So which part is broken - 2005 or 2010? Only thing on that page for $5
was the gasket.

Locate a real appliance parts store. One that has counter help and see
if they have aftermarket parts. Have the model number handy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Matthew Dunphy" wrote in message
So the wife and I bought a house and moved in this past January. We
recently redid the kitchen, and in the process of switching out sinks,
broke the clamp ring on the otherwise really good garbage disposal (GE
GFC900Z-01) that came with the house. I looked it up online, ordered
the nut and the gasket, and got an email back saying they're
discontinued.

http://www.appliance-parts-warehouse...arts-12852.cfm

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to replace this disposal over $5
in parts. I'd love to hear some suggestions on how I could clamp this
sucker on so that the water doesn't leak out around the flange.
Thanks in advance

Start calling all the appliance parts stores in the yellow pages. We have a
really good one near us that carries just about anything you're looking for.
Even try some of the independent repair shops.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

MLD wrote:

[...]

If that fails, check local Habitat ReStore, for ripout disposals. May be
one in the pile with the same clamp nut as yours, and their prices are
dirt cheap.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
I was really hoping I wouldn't have to replace this disposal over $5
in parts. I'd love to hear some suggestions on how I could clamp this
sucker on so that the water doesn't leak out around the flange.
Thanks in advance

Start calling all the appliance parts stores in the yellow pages. We
have a really good one near us that carries just about anything you're
looking for. Even try some of the independent repair shops.
MLD

If that fails, check local Habitat ReStore, for ripout disposals. May be
one in the pile with the same clamp nut as yours, and their prices are
dirt cheap.

....or if that doesn't work, they may have a complete old one that they'd
want to unload for $cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only two things came to mind. One is large ammounts of
silicone caulk, and two days for drying. Second thing came
to mind, was something like leather around there, and then
tighten with screw clamps.

Others suggestion is very good, to make a bunch of calls, to
try to find parts still "out there".

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.appliance-parts-warehouse...ic-parts/Gener...

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to replace this disposal over $5
in parts. I'd love to hear some suggestions on how I could clamp this
sucker on so that the water doesn't leak out around the flange.
Thanks in advance

Is appliance-parts-warehouse the only on-line source you tried?

http://www.belowcostappliances.com/p...fc900z-01.html

While all the other replies make sense, I'd make a couple of phone
calls and then give up. You can get *really* good disposals for pretty
cheap these days. I don't know how much time I'd spend without a
working disposal, especially one that leaked.

I love my In-Sink-Erator Excel. It's so d*mn quiet that sometimes I
forget it's on until I turn the water off. The removable drain baffle
is designed to use the running water to muffle the sound almost
completely.

A video and sound level comparison can be found here. I'll vouch for
the sound level comparisons.

http://www.insinkerator.com/excel/gr...ear_less.shtml
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 2:24*pm, Matthew Dunphy wrote:
So the wife and I bought a house and moved in this past January. *We
recently redid the kitchen, and in the process of switching out sinks,
broke the clamp ring on the otherwise really good garbage disposal (GE
GFC900Z-01) that came with the house. *I looked it up online, ordered
the nut and the gasket, and got an email back saying they're
discontinued.

http://www.appliance-parts-warehouse...ic-parts/Gener...

I was really hoping I wouldn't have to replace this disposal over $5
in parts. I'd love to hear some suggestions on how I could clamp this
sucker on so that the water doesn't leak out around the flange.
Thanks in advance

Try another supplier

http://www.us1internet.net/GFC900Z-01/

or get a used ISE disposal on craigslist

Once you switch over to ISE....you'll have a standard disposal
interface for as long as own the house.

The ISE three lug mounting system makes it a breeze to change up
disposals.

I had an ISE fail...it was under warranty....an in-house service
warranty.
I had them ship me a new unit & installed it myself...easier than
waiting for the repair guy.

cheers
Bob

garbage disposal Dottie Home Repair 7 April 1st 08 12:21 AM
Garbage disposal professorpaul Home Repair 7 October 21st 07 05:15 PM
Speedbloc paper clamp broke (ping Leon) Leuf Woodworking 7 March 10th 07 04:34 AM
garbage disposal doesn't MrAoD Home Repair 7 October 18th 04 12:37 PM