DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Who here has experience with Pellet Stoves? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/279180-re-who-here-has-experience-pellet-stoves.html)

[email protected] May 26th 09 09:17 PM

Who here has experience with Pellet Stoves?

On May 25, 7:03*am, Hipupchuck wrote:
I read that they are very noisy; something which I had not considered.
My wood stove is quiet. I'm just tired of getting up all hours of the
night to add wood.
Ecoteck boast of quietness but look like they would cost a Georgia
fortune; maybe not; no prices.
I had hot air oil heat before and can't stand the noise.

Had a great Osburn wood stove. Too much work. Too dirty. Had to let
it die and clean it out too often.

Have a Whitfield Advantage IIT pellet stove since 96. Tried less
expensive brands
and got what I paid for. The Whitfield has been reliable, quiet and
bullet proof.

Only repair in 13 years is one heater element for the self-igniter at
around $110.

My Whitfield sits on a UPS and will run 12 hours in a power failure.

The choice has to be tempered by local market fuel prices and
availability.

[email protected] May 27th 09 05:02 PM

On May 26, 2:17*pm, wrote:
[...]

Forgot to include...

My Whitfield Advantage IIT has been very quiet on the low and mid
blower settings.

I do disassemble and thoroughly clean the unit every year along with a
couple
drops of Mobil 1 lubing the exhaust fan. Since that fan is exposed to
high temps
the synthetic Mobil 1 doesn't break down as dino oil might.

Since noise is a consideration for some (many) I wouldn't buy one
without
hearing it run. Perhaps stopping by at opening or closing time when
the store
is apt to be more quiet to take a listen.