Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen Flooring

I am looking for replacing my existing sheet vinyl kitchen flooring.

I live in a townhome (the house is on a slab) so I have been told I
can't use real hardwood but floating wood floor is only choice.

I have a child and sometime there is an occasional spill here and
there. Also, we love to cook and so floor is subject to stain and
scratch.

I called flooring company nearby and they suggested Flexitec cushion
vinyl.

Is anyone used this product? How durable/stain resistant it is to use
in the kitchen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"c_shah" wrote in message

I am looking for replacing my existing sheet vinyl kitchen flooring.

I live in a townhome (the house is on a slab) so I have been told I
can't use real hardwood but floating wood floor is only choice.

I have a child and sometime there is an occasional spill here and
there. Also, we love to cook and so floor is subject to stain and
scratch.

I called flooring company nearby and they suggested Flexitec cushion
vinyl.

Is anyone used this product? How durable/stain resistant it is to use
in the kitchen?

I have not heard of that brand (means nothing). Full ceramic or a cushioned
(loose lay) vinyl are your best choices.

I think but do not know for sure that there are some engineered wood
products that can be glued to above grade concrete.

A quality piece of vinyl should last 10-15 years if not abused. Most don't
stain from normal household spills.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 May 2009 16:40:18 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"c_shah" wrote in message

I am looking for replacing my existing sheet vinyl kitchen flooring.

I live in a townhome (the house is on a slab) so I have been told I
can't use real hardwood but floating wood floor is only choice.

I have a child and sometime there is an occasional spill here and
there. Also, we love to cook and so floor is subject to stain and
scratch.

I called flooring company nearby and they suggested Flexitec cushion
vinyl.

Is anyone used this product? How durable/stain resistant it is to use
in the kitchen?

I have not heard of that brand (means nothing). Full ceramic or a cushioned
(loose lay) vinyl are your best choices.

I think but do not know for sure that there are some engineered wood
products that can be glued to above grade concrete.

It's true. Mohawk Flooring has such a product. 5/8" thick, 10 ply. The
glue is expensive.

An index he
http://www.mohawkflooring.com/hardwo...n/default.aspx

See the "Sub-Floor & Sub-Strate Requirements" in that *.pdf file.

A quality piece of vinyl should last 10-15 years if not abused. Most don't
stain from normal household spills.

Colbyt

Vinyl has come a long way over the years. Many more colors, patterns,
etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 3:14*pm, c_shah wrote:
I am looking for replacing my existing sheet vinyl kitchen flooring.

I live in a townhome (the house is on a slab) so I have been told I
can't use real hardwood but floating wood floor is only choice.

I have a child and sometime there is an occasional spill here and
there. Also, we love to cook and so floor is subject to stain and
scratch.

*I called flooring company nearby and they suggested Flexitec cushion
vinyl.

Is anyone used this product? How durable/stain resistant it is to use
in the kitchen?

I used Pergo in my kitchen, I wish I didnt, its so smooth any dirt
shows and it dents easily and i cant fix just one board. Sheet vinyl
is nice but consider individual squares, when you damage one, not if
you will damage any, you replace just one. With sheet goods you will
be sheet out of luck. I used a nice preglued pattern that looks like
stone from HD [ some name brand stuff] in 12 kitchens in a rental in
07 and have had 0 issues. There are alot of nice 12"x12" vinyl tiles
made, some look like stone and cost alot but they last awhile.
Kitchens get heavy wear, I had a pattern of 12"x12" that looked like
brick and wore great, the secret is they were color through, not a
layer of color, they lasted 35 years with 3 dogs in a kitchen. Shop
and research before you buy, there are some very good products
avalaible that take abuse, when you put a few dings in a sheet
product, its ruined. The preglued I used has a 2 layer epoxy that only
activated when a 110lb steel roller broke the seals. Color through is
hard to find in nice styles, but some new stuff is almost as good.
Wood in a kitchen would need about 7 coats to take my abuse. Shop
around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all. While searching online I found StrataMax by Armstrong
(Loose lay)

are these any good?

Posted to alt.home.repair

c_shah wrote:
I am looking for replacing my existing sheet vinyl kitchen flooring.

I live in a townhome (the house is on a slab) so I have been told I
can't use real hardwood but floating wood floor is only choice.

I have a child and sometime there is an occasional spill here and
there. Also, we love to cook and so floor is subject to stain and
scratch.

I called flooring company nearby and they suggested Flexitec cushion
vinyl.

Is anyone used this product? How durable/stain resistant it is to use
in the kitchen?

Dunno 'bout that, but cheap laminate will work swell. Damn stuff is
impervious to almost anything (although it will burn).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 26 May 2009 01:40:18p, Colbyt told us...

"c_shah" wrote in message

[...]

After having real hardwood, quarry tile, and sautillo tile floors in
previous kitchens, our present kitchen has a top quality sheet vinyl that
is loose laid, secured at perimeter only. It may not have the classiest or
most fashinable look, but it sure is easier to take care of. I had
forgotten the advantages of good quality vinyl.

--
Wayne Boatwright
I have long believed that good food, good eating is all about risk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 4:14*pm, c_shah wrote:
I am looking for replacing my existing sheet vinyl kitchen flooring.

I live in a townhome (the house is on a slab) so I have been told I
can't use real hardwood but floating wood floor is only choice.

I have a child and sometime there is an occasional spill here and
there. Also, we love to cook and so floor is subject to stain and
scratch.

*I called flooring company nearby and they suggested Flexitec cushion
vinyl.

Is anyone used this product? How durable/stain resistant it is to use
in the kitchen?

I saw some vinyl "plank" flooring at either HD or Lowes recently. I
think it was 6" X 36" or something like that and was available in a
couple of different "finishes" that looked pretty good.

Kitchen flooring 4square UK diy 4 March 27th 08 11:08 AM
Kitchen flooring and heating [email protected] UK diy 6 March 9th 06 05:57 PM
Kitchen Flooring [email protected] UK diy 4 July 8th 05 04:04 PM
Kitchen units/flooring ? Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk UK diy 7 June 1st 05 01:35 AM
laminate flooring okay in kitchen? maxinemovies Home Repair 18 January 16th 05 12:30 AM