Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default CFL bulb won't work upside down in a particular light fixture

"h" wrote in message

"krw" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 May 2009 07:39:17 -0700 (PDT), brassplyer
wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light
sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any
theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Aren't these trash CFL's wonderful?
Our government certainly has our best interest at heart and knows
how to
choose our light bulbs better than we do.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light
sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any
theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Aren't these trash CFL's wonderful?
Our government certainly has our best interest at heart and knows
how to
choose our light bulbs better than we do.

Bob-tx

There are excellent CFLs and there are poor ones. Blaming the government
for bad CFLs is silly. The local dollar stores here sell crappy regular
incadescent bulbs with weak
filaments which burn out very quickly. Consumers need to compare and
recognize quality with CFLs just the same as any other product.

Smarty
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob-tx" wrote:

wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light
sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any
theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Aren't these trash CFL's wonderful?
Our government certainly has our best interest at heart and knows
how to
choose our light bulbs better than we do.

There is a certain amount of knowledge required to live and
get through the day. Perhaps you are just too stupid to
understand a device that has both an "on" and an "off".

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * * http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs to
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light
sockets, the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any
theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?

Are you sure that the receptacle in the fixture is allowing the CFL to screw
all the way down to make contact at the bottom? Sometimes the design of the
fixture isn't large enough to permit the larger base (just above the CFL's
screw-in part) to fit alll the way in. It will screw in almost all the way,
but not quite, and the bottom contact of the CFL doesn't touch the bottom of
the socket.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Nobody seems more obsessed by diet than our anti ~materialistic,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Are you sure that the receptacle in the fixture is allowing the CFL to screw
all the way down to make contact at the bottom? Sometimes the design of the
fixture isn't large enough to permit the larger base (just above the CFL's
screw-in part) to fit alll the way in. It will screw in almost all the way,
but not quite, and the bottom contact of the CFL doesn't touch the bottom of
the socket.

BINGO! Correct answer finally.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On May 26, 9:09*am, LouB wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:

In article ,
*"Bob-tx" wrote:

wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light
sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any
theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?
Aren't these trash CFL's wonderful?
Our government certainly has our best interest at heart and knows
how to
choose our light bulbs better than we do.

There is a certain amount of knowledge required to live and
get through the day. *Perhaps you are just too stupid to
understand a device that has both an "on" and an "off".

-john-

LOL!- Hide quoted text -

LOA is generally reputed to have short life, Philips, Sylvania, other
name brands definitely seem to last longer
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article , wrote:
On Tue, 26 May 2009 20:31:44 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob)
"
wrote:

On May 26, 9:09Â*am, LouB wrote:
John A. Weeks III wrote:

In article ,
Â*"Bob-tx" wrote:

wrote:

I've got a hanging light fixture in which I can't get CFL bulbs
work. They work fine screwed upside down in my garage light
sockets,
the bulb is confirmed working in other lamps.

Standard bulbs work fine in this same hanging fixture. Any
theories as
to why the CFL bulbs don't want to work in it?
Aren't these trash CFL's wonderful?
Our government certainly has our best interest at heart and knows
how to
choose our light bulbs better than we do.

There is a certain amount of knowledge required to live and
get through the day. Â*Perhaps you are just too stupid to
understand a device that has both an "on" and an "off".

-john-

LOL!- Hide quoted text -

LOA is generally reputed to have short life, Philips, Sylvania, other
name brands definitely seem to last longer

I've had the brand name ones dead in the box as well as suffering
early death. Doesn't seem to matter what it says on the box it's all
chinese crap anyway.

I did have a failed unit recently, and it was suppose to be a decent model. I have
had few dissapointments out of the 30 to 40 I have used. I started out paying
around $15 each, so they are a steal now, except the dimmable ones are
still around $15.

greg