Posted to alt.home.repair

Default switching out 2 pin for 3 pin sockets in my victorian home

Douglas Johnson wrote:
(snip)

I can't image the situation is different if someone gets injured from the same
cause. More than the insurance issue is the awful feeling of causing injury
from your screw up. So I don't do those kind of things.

BINGO! I've been hurt by stupid work done by others enough times
(thankfully nothing major or permanent, at least not yet), and known
enough people injured by stupid work done by themselves or others, that
I would feel Real Bad if somebody else (especially a kid) were killed,
injured, or in pain, because I took stupid shortcuts. It simply isn't
that much harder to do it the right way. This doesn't just apply to
electrical work or even construction/home repair in general. Look up Karma.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
bob haller wrote:
my issue was the moron who said just remove the ground pins from plugs
it will be fine......

You are aware, are you not, that:

A. Grounding plugs/outlets are of somewhat recent vintage.
B. All old electrical appliances and many new appliance do not HAVE
grounding connections.
C. Outlets/plugs in Britain and other parts of the world do not accommodate
grounding connectors (i.e., they are of the two-pin variety).

On the other hand, grenades come with only two safety devices: A safety pin
and a safety handle. These are almost always adequate to permit safe
handling. Grenades could be distributed in a locked box with the key kept by
the company sergeant in a safe whose combination is known only to the
company clerk, but the layering-on of additional safety regimes would
prevent their timely and effective use when a crazed virgin-seeker is about
to jump in your foxhole.

When presented with a three-prong toaster, a two-prong outlet, and an urgent
need for a PopTart, I know what I'm gonna do!

Eat it raw?
Posted to alt.home.repair

But let's keep it in scale. �If you are not wearing seatbelts, eating right, and
controlling weight and blood pressure, ground pins are the least of your
troubles.

-- Doug

all of these just endanger you, whereas a hacked wiring system can
endanger others, even years after you sell your home. if the bad
wiring isnt found and fixed

anyone including a child can get badly shocked. children can get
killed when shocked, where a adult would survive

perhaps I am sensitive to this since i very nearly got killed by
stupidity.

a customer nothed exposed wires on a radio plug and taped them up with
masking tape. i reached around to unplug radio touched a radiator and
the plug with exposed wires and ended up 20 feet away on my back, got
bad shock.

after recovering i cut the plug off the radio so the jerk wouldnt do
it again. a teacher could of easily killed one of her
students..........

i asked customer what were you thinking and showeed it to the
principal suggesting teachers should get a basic safety class.......