Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.tech

Default Hard starting Briggs & Stratton 3.0 hp lawnmower engine

muzician21 wrote:

I don't like tossing out perfectly good parts and if I can get more
lifespan out of a part I'm all for it.

There ARE no "perfectly good parts" on an 80s vintage Pulsa-Jet
carburetor :-/

The old Vacu-Jet worked a lot better, but didn't have the "automatic"
(automatically applies exactly the wrong amount of choke every time)
choke feature I guess.
Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.tech
HLS HLS is offline

"Steve" wrote in message
muzician21 wrote:

I don't like tossing out perfectly good parts and if I can get more
lifespan out of a part I'm all for it.

There ARE no "perfectly good parts" on an 80s vintage Pulsa-Jet carburetor
:-/

The old Vacu-Jet worked a lot better, but didn't have the "automatic"
(automatically applies exactly the wrong amount of choke every time) choke
feature I guess.

A diaphragm that has been in service for some considerable time, then
is taken out and allowed to dry, might work a while longer, but....
if you want to mow the yard or till the garden, it is foolish to go in and
clean the carburetor and not install new elastomer parts, IMHO

Posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.autos.tech

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I don't know what the part cost, but it should not have been more than a few
dollars. Chances are if the new part was put in it would be good for life.
If I had gone that far I would not worry about an inexpensive part. Even if
it had been an expensive part I would use the new one and maybe save the old
one.

Rubber parts fail. If you have the carb apart anyway, replace every damn
rubber part in it... seals and washers, diaphragm and everything. B&S
will sell you a "rebuild kit" that has everything in it. If there are any
rubber parts in the thing that haven't failed yet, they are on their way
to failing anyway so just change it beforehand.

Reminds me of what hapened at work. We had a large varitable speed moror
drive to go out. Called in a factory man to work on it. He found two bad
diodes. There was a third diode (three phase circuit) and I asked him to
replace it also. He said it was $ 200. I told him to go ahead. If it went
out that $ 200 was nothing to what it would cost to get him back in and the
ammount of downtime on the equipment.

And keep the old diode as a spare!
--scott