Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane rip-off

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Same for most everything you get at the grocery store. It's all about
concern for the consumer safety: lighter packages means less chance of
back injuries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 11:15*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Cheating, the oldest job known to man. Time for the billionth new law?
If gasolene pumps were not verified randomly you would be cheated when
you fill your car, how do you know the home fuel delivery man doesnt
cheat you, if you are not there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://tinyurl.com/qrhlwt

That's not good!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not
filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 May 2009 04:50:29 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On May 22, 11:15*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Cheating, the oldest job known to man. Time for the billionth new law?
If gasolene pumps were not verified randomly you would be cheated when
you fill your car, how do you know the home fuel delivery man doesnt
cheat you, if you are not there.

The home fuel delivery man inserts a card in a meter that stamps the
beginning and end of the pumping cycle. It shows how many gallons were
pumped to the hundreths of a gallon. He leaves that card stuck in your
kitchen door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On May 22, 11:15 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Cheating, the oldest job known to man. Time for the billionth new law?
If gasolene pumps were not verified randomly you would be cheated when
you fill your car, how do you know the home fuel delivery man doesnt
cheat you, if you are not there.

Because their meters are certified by weights and measures inspectors
just like those in gasoline stations are. My buddy has a liquid fuels
business and he gets notices to bring selected trucks to a location
where he pumps a specified amount into a graduated container and the
inspector verifies the accuracy. If it passes he seals the meter and
applies a sticker. When they deliver fuel the meter stamps the beginning
and ending pump reading on the ticket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

The Shrink Ray strikes again, just like groceries (4 # sugar, 11 oz. pounds
of coffee, etc.). Container stays the same, content gets smaller, price
remains the same, and if you do inquire, they claim it's to avoid price
increases. That's an insult to our intelligence because it's not disclosed
to the consumer, on the container or in the store. They're counting on the
stupidity of the average American consumer. What's next, 3 qt. gas gallons?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them
all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...ng_on_propane_
2

all sorts of products have been downsized lately.
You have to check everything.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 22, 11:15*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling
them all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...ping_on_propan
e_2

Cheating, the oldest job known to man. Time for the billionth new law?
If gasolene pumps were not verified randomly you would be cheated when
you fill your car, how do you know the home fuel delivery man doesnt
cheat you, if you are not there.

The home fuel delivery man inserts a card in a meter that stamps the
beginning and end of the pumping cycle. It shows how many gallons were
pumped to the hundreths of a gallon. He leaves that card stuck in your
kitchen door.

who checks/verifies the truck's meter?

At least the State has inspections and calibrates the gas pumps,puts a
sticker on the pump right where you can see it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them
all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...ng_on_propane_
2

all sorts of products have been downsized lately.
You have to check everything.

It doesn't matter what or how you check. Will you quit buying necessities
because you're getting screwed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I might take my propane tanks to the local fill place, where
they provide an honest fill.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"1D10T" wrote in message

It doesn't matter what or how you check. Will you quit
buying necessities
because you're getting screwed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Bryce wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them
all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Same for most everything you get at the grocery store. It's all about
concern for the consumer safety: lighter packages means less chance of
back injuries.

ROTFLMAO!!

.... and adds one great big PITA. As y'all may have noticed, I am really
****ed off about this kind of deceit, as well as other labeling bull****. An
example:
Ask Breyer's (Unilever) about this issue and also why how they get away with
calling tara gum, locust bean gum, guar gum, vegetable
mono-and-diglycerides, and other additives "Natural" ingredients. What the
HELL is natural about this **** in ice cream?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message
Ask Breyer's (Unilever) about this issue and also why how they get away
with calling tara gum, locust bean gum, guar gum, vegetable
mono-and-diglycerides, and other additives "Natural" ingredients. What the
HELL is natural about this **** in ice cream?

Breyers vanilla used to be: milk, cream, sugar, vanilla. No need to add all
that other crap after many years of real purity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message

"LouB" wrote in message
Bryce wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Add to this:
Ice-structuring proteins, corn-syrup, cellulose gum, carob gum, polysorbate
80, glucose, carrageenan and whey sourced from meat-based rennet. Also, tara
gum is indigestible and ice cream containing it can melt and then be
refrozen and us consumers will have little clue. Let a bowl of Breyer's "All
Natural" melt and instead of a creamy puddle, it looks like wet styrofoam.
It is made with a certain amount of “overmix,” the percentage of entrained
air to increase volume. Weigh a 'pint' of Breyer's and compare it to other
brands. Look he
http://adailyscoop.com/2006/09/11/br...vers-response/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bryce wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling
them all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Same for most everything you get at the grocery store. It's all about
concern for the consumer safety: lighter packages means less chance of
back injuries.

There is a big difference, the items in the grocery store must adjust the
designated unit of measurement on the packaging, but the consumer is left to
assume a 20lb. propane tank has the maximum amount of propane allowed put
into the tank. It would be more acceptable if the gas provider put a
disclaimer on the tank wrap. That way an savvy consumer can decide if they
want to swap tanks or refill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 12:49*pm, "1D10T" wrote:
"LouB" wrote in message

Bryce wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

If something is derived from plants rather than manufactured by
chemical creation, then the loopholes in the law allow it to be called
"natural".

Believe me, having worked back in the mid-1980s with two of the "mad
scientists" in McCormick's Industrial Flavor division, I know what
sort of weird chemistry is done to create flavorings like they use in
yellow cake, or "hickory smoke" (God, that stuff scares me), or those
fruit flavorings...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I might take my propane tanks to the local fill place, where
they provide an honest fill.

that's where I got my propane tank filled;Ace Hardware.
You can watch the guy fill while it's on the scale.

And I get my own tank back,not somebody else's tank.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

1D10T wrote:
snip

... and adds one great big PITA. As y'all may have noticed, I am really
****ed off about this kind of deceit, as well as other labeling bull****. An
example:
Ask Breyer's (Unilever) about this issue and also why how they get away with
calling tara gum, locust bean gum, guar gum, vegetable
mono-and-diglycerides, and other additives "Natural" ingredients. What the
HELL is natural about this **** in ice cream?

Heh. I still remember this commmercial from the '80s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GlBK82nuA

Still, I guess locust beans are natural, just like asbestos and
radium.

At least the manufacturers' are giving us about 20% less in most
packages now-"Now! With 20% LESS fat and calories!" Thought they
were doing it do avoid the more-obvious method of jacking the
price up. Oh, now they did that, also. Still, it's only because
gas is $4.00 a gallon. Um, wait....

My last raise was fairly good, but I feel I've lost ground
overall. Word is raises this year will be "minimal" due to the
economic situation. *sigh*

I feel depressed now. I can't even cheer myself up with a bowl
of Breyer's. Hey, I know! I'll check the balance in my retirement
account!

--
PB
"I suspect you're an arrogant little ****ant who grew up in the
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

For a person that yells capitalism at every turn. You sure want government
protection. Make up yer cotton pickin mind. I'm tired of you yellow bellies
crying the blues.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

It was in today's paper. I did a tank exchange at HD a couple of weeks
ago, "AmeriGas". Label clearly says, "net weight 15.0 lb". I did not
notice this until the issue came up. Next time I'll be going to the guy
that refills the tank on a scale and intend to pop off a complaint to
the state ag. Only good thing about exchange was my tank looked like it
was on its last legs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

At least the State has inspections and calibrates the gas pumps,puts a
sticker on the pump right where you can see it.

For a person that yells capitalism at every turn. You sure want government
protection. Make up yer cotton pickin mind. I'm tired of you yellow bellies
crying the blues.

Capitalism and government certainly are not mutually exclusive.
Capitalism needs government protection to function properly, but it
suffers under onerous government overkill.

Government can and should ensure the consumer or buyer has all available
information about something to make an informed decision, whether it
relates to a security's performance or the accurate quantity of a
commodity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 May 2009 11:49:16 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Bryce wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

It's not natural to be in Ice Cream, but it's not "man made" - it's
"natural"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 May 2009 10:52:40 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I might take my propane tanks to the local fill place, where
they provide an honest fill.

Try to find one that charges you by the unit instead of a flat rate.
No reason they can't top up a 20 lb tank that has 5 lb in it and
charge you for 15 lb.

THAT is a ripoff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Breyers vanilla used to be: milk, cream, sugar, vanilla. No need to add
all that other crap after many years of real purity.

I remember when I would buy it for that exact reason. Haven't had any in
awhile; sorry to hear they started adding crap to it.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Karla wrote:
wrote:

I might take my propane tanks to the local fill place, where they
provide an honest fill.

Try to find one that charges you by the unit instead of a flat rate.
No reason they can't top up a 20 lb tank that has 5 lb in it and
charge you for 15 lb.

THAT is a ripoff.

You are paying for the labor, mainly, not the propane. Gotta pay for
the machine, the clerk, the inspections, the insurance, etc. Like the
price of beer in kegs vs. cans- the cost of the content is close to
trivial. If refill stations charged by the pound, you'd get people
coming n every week to top off, 'just so we don't run out during the
barbecue'. Lot of clerk time and machine wear for very little money.
A flat fee plus weight would maybe make sense.

By that reasoning, every full serve gas station should charge you for a
fixed amount full tank, not the actual number of gallons they pump into
your car. Yet somehow they stay in business by charging you just for
the amount you actually receive...

A lot more people have cars than propane tanks, and there are a lot more
gas stations that propane fill stations. You do notice that other than
in NJ and Oregon?, full-serve gas stations have basically vanished, and
the few that remain charge a price premium? They charge you for the
labor, all right- 'X' cents per gallon.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yanik. Young. Maybe we're related?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

that's where I got my propane tank filled;Ace Hardware.
You can watch the guy fill while it's on the scale.

And I get my own tank back,not somebody else's tank.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
A lot more people have cars than propane tanks, and there are a lot more
gas stations that propane fill stations. You do notice that other than in
NJ and Oregon?, full-serve gas stations have basically vanished, and the
few that remain charge a price premium? They charge you for the labor, all
right- 'X' cents per gallon.

I work in MA. Each town fire Marshall decides if self serve is allowed and
some do not have it. The full service stations are the same price as the
self serve in the next town. Damned if I'm going to pump it when I can get
it done for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Karla
wrote:

By that reasoning, every full serve gas station should charge you for a
fixed amount full tank, not the actual number of gallons they pump into
your car. Yet somehow they stay in business by charging you just for
the amount you actually receive...

Seriously Where does one find full service gas stations any more?
/Seriously

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Karla wrote:
wrote:

[...]

With propane filling, all service is "full service" so the premium
difference vs. self serve is not a valid analogy, since we aren't
comparing full service with self service propane. The full service
pumps at a gas station (and there are plenty of them near me) charge the
same per unit amount regardless of the amount of fuel purchased. In
other words a customer purchasing 5 gallons of fuel isn't charged for a
full tank. Likewise the number of stations is not relevant, we are
discussing the practices at the stations themselves, not how many others
there are.

There is no reason why propane sales should need to charge a full tank
for a 1/4 tank fill, if propane dealers weren't out to gouge and cheat
their customers. We aren't talking bulk sales here, and charging by the
unit sold certainly adequately includes labor costs for other fuel sales.

The article cited already establishes the propane industry's (lack of)
integrity and business ethics by providing less product without
informing their customers. It's not surprising they freely engage in
less than above-board practices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jessica" wrote in message

There is no reason why propane sales should need to charge a full tank for
a 1/4 tank fill, if propane dealers weren't out to gouge and cheat their
customers. We aren't talking bulk sales here, and charging by the unit
sold certainly adequately includes labor costs for other fuel sales.

The article cited already establishes the propane industry's (lack of)
integrity and business ethics by providing less product without informing
their customers. It's not surprising they freely engage in less than
above-board practices.

They do it because they can. It has been an accepted policy for many years.

Propane dealers are some of the worst on the planet. They have widely
varying rates depending on use, they won't fill the tanks of another
company, they rent tanks for years, they make if difficult to let you buy a
tank, and on and on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Why would anyone want to take them in and exchange them in the first place?
Take them to a refiller yourself and pocket the money.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 22 May 2009 09:15:14p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

I really don't understand why people bother to buy exchange tanks in the
first place. To me, the rip-off is paying for the use of their tank. There
is no advantage that I can see, since you still have to carry an empty tank
back and a full tank home. We have two tanks that we bought at Lowe's. We
use one on the grill and one as a backup. It's amazingly cheaper to just
have the tank filled at a local gas station and their prices are fair and
competitive. I think my last fill up cost around $9.00 and was filled to the
legal limit.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Food probably has a very great influence on the condition of men.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 23 May 2009 09:32:48p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

"Jessica" wrote in message

[...]

If you're talking about the standard tank use for gas grills, there's a
glut of them for sale at any big box store in this area, and any filling
facility will fill them with no problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright
An onion can make people cry, but there has never been a vegetable

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 23 May 2009 09:58:42p, SteveB told us...

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them
all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Why would anyone want to take them in and exchange them in the first
place? Take them to a refiller yourself and pocket the money.

Steve

Exactly!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Do vegetarians eat animal crackers? ~Author Unknown

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them
all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

It was in today's paper. I did a tank exchange at HD a couple of weeks
ago, "AmeriGas". Label clearly says, "net weight 15.0 lb". I did not
notice this until the issue came up. Next time I'll be going to the guy
that refills the tank on a scale and intend to pop off a complaint to
the state ag. Only good thing about exchange was my tank looked like it
was on its last legs.

In Dallas the refill places went from 2.29 gal on 2/22 to
4.09 gal on 4/25. From $20 to $35 for two tanks, our BBQ
might begin tasting a tad of yellow pine ;-)

Our tank opds shut off 4.3 - 4.6 gal.

Propane vs gas Charles Bishop[_2_] Home Repair 8 October 31st 08 12:24 PM
Nat gas to Propane Dean Home Repair 2 February 5th 07 02:41 AM
Propane vs. LPG Dave Fawthrop UK diy 0 November 19th 05 06:53 PM
Oxy/Propane Howard UK diy 4 March 7th 05 03:39 PM
Propane FAQ Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 January 25th 05 01:31 AM