Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane rip-off

In article ,
"1D10T" wrote:

Inflation is not the issue. I can deal with that. Why can't they JUST
RAISE
THE PRICES? We'll all grumble and bitch, but we'll also understand the
reason for higher prices. I wonder who started the shrink ray crap.

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
It would make an interesting story for the History Channel. The History
of Deceptive Packaging. One of my peeves is the size of the indent in
the bottom of the wine bottle.

It even has an official name: punt.
From Wikipedia:
A punt, also known as a kick-up, refers to the dimple at the bottom of a
wine bottle. There is no consensus explanation for its purpose. The more
commonly cited explanations include:

a.. it is a historical remnant of old-fashioned glass-blowing techniques;
by raising the point where the glass-blowers tube is attached, the small
imperfection would not scratch the table
b.. it had the function of making the bottle less likely to topple over --
a bottle designed with a flat bottom only needs a small imperfection to make
it unstable -- the dimple historically allowed for a larger margin of error
c.. it consolidates sediment deposits in a thick ring at the bottom of the
bottle, preventing it from being poured into the glass;
d.. it increases the strength of the bottle, allowing it to hold the high
pressure of sparkling wine/champagne
e.. it holds the bottles in place on pegs of a conveyor belt as they go
through the filling process in manufacturing plants
f.. it accommodates the pourer's thumb for stability and ease of pouring
g.. According to legend the punt was used by servants. They often knew
more than their master about what was happening in town, and with a thumb up
the punt they could show their master whether a guest was reliable or not.
h.. it provides a grip for riddling a bottle of sparkling wine manually in
the traditional champagne production process.
i.. it simply takes up some of the volume of the bottle, giving the
impression that you're getting more wine for your money than is actually the
case
j.. Taverns had a steel pin set vertically in the bar. The empty bottle
would be thrust bottom-end down onto this pin, puncturing a hole in the top
of the punt, guaranteeing the bottle could not be refilled [folklore].
k.. The punt acts as a lens, refracting the light to make the color of the
wine more appealing.
l.. Prevents the bottle from resonating as easily, decreasing the
likelihood of shattering during transportation.
m.. Allows bottles to be more easily stacked end to end.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 23, 7:01*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
For a person that yells capitalism at every turn. You sure want government
protection. Make up yer cotton pickin mind. I'm tired of you yellow bellies
crying the blues.

The sign of a "true conservative": Cries of "There should be a law
against that!" the second something affects THEM.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? You're responsible for
making sure that you get what you paid for. If you assumed that
package of ice cream was a half gallon (64 fl. oz) and you find out
that it's only 56 fl. oz. when you get home, isn't that YOUR fault for
making the assumption?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

For a person that yells capitalism at every turn. You sure want government
protection. Make up yer cotton pickin mind. I'm tired of you yellow bellies
crying the blues.

The sign of a "true conservative": Cries of "There should be a law
against that!" the second something affects THEM.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? You're responsible for
making sure that you get what you paid for. If you assumed that
package of ice cream was a half gallon (64 fl. oz) and you find out
that it's only 56 fl. oz. when you get home, isn't that YOUR fault for
making the assumption?

I've been trying to get that exact point across to Mr. Pawlowski for 2
days now.

I'm glad somebody else feels the same way I do.

RTFL - Read the ... label
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
The tank would have to have a lower pressure inside for air to enter.
That aint gonna happen.

It does if you leave the valve open!

Maybe old tanks. The new ones have a valve that must be pushed open like
the tire valve on your car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message
news
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
Snip
I don't understand why people get so upset about this stuff.

This whole packaging/refilling issue isn't about raising prices, it's
about the way they go about it. I'm not the ignorant SOB they seem to
think I am. How would you feel if gas pumps started dispensing 3-quart
"gallons" at the same price a full gallon was, without telling you?

I'd feel terrible. But then, I'd really hate myself for not being aware and
paying for three quarts and not getting a gallon, particularly when the
price is plainly stated.

YMMV

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 May 2009 18:19:25 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
The tank would have to have a lower pressure inside for air to enter.
That aint gonna happen.

It does if you leave the valve open!

Maybe old tanks. The new ones have a valve that must be pushed open like
the tire valve on your car.

You can see how well that works!

Ya gotta close the valve, dude. Otherwise, you can get air and
moisture in the tank. That valve you are talking about is not intended
to be the main shutoff, and it seals better in one direction that the
other. That's why there is that big 'ole knob for you to turn on top.
They aren't going to do an autopsy first to see if each individual
tank actually has any moisture in it. If you come to get an empty tank
filled with the valve wide open, you lose. Zip up your fly and tie
your shoes while you're at it.

Sheesh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB" wrote in message

I'd feel terrible. But then, I'd really hate myself for not being aware
and paying for three quarts and not getting a gallon, particularly when
the price is plainly stated.

At many gas stations I've seen there's a big, prominent price sign
indicating 2.29 9/10 or whatever, with no indication of gallon, pint or
bowl. How many people read the line on the pump meter which actually says
'gallons'? They see the total price and swipe the card. I only said "3 quart
gallons" to make my point, but if it was 108 oz. gallons, few would notice -
probably thinking the car needs a tune-up. And just for kicks, I wonder
where the 9/10-cent pricing originated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB" wrote in message

I'd feel terrible. But then, I'd really hate myself for not being aware
and paying for three quarts and not getting a gallon, particularly when
the price is plainly stated.

At many gas stations I've seen there's a big, prominent price sign
indicating 2.29 9/10 or whatever, with no indication of gallon, pint or
bowl. How many people read the line on the pump meter which actually says
'gallons'? They see the total price and swipe the card. I only said "3 quart
gallons" to make my point, but if it was 108 oz. gallons, few would notice -
probably thinking the car needs a tune-up. And just for kicks, I wonder
where the 9/10-cent pricing originated.

The same place that every other price tag has $XX.99, so that it doesn't
seem like an even dollar higher.

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Hi Bill - isn't Orange County the home of Orange County Choppers of TV fame?

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/26/2009 7:27 PM (ET) 1D10T wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Hi Bill - isn't Orange County the home of Orange County Choppers of TV fame?

Yep. 10 minutes from me. Never been there tho.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

It isn't practical for retail, but I like the loyalty price concept.
When the woman who cuts my hair increases prices, it only applies to new
clients.

But does she leave your hair a little longer so you come back sooner?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message
.. .

SteveB" wrote in message

I'd feel terrible. But then, I'd really hate myself for not being aware
and paying for three quarts and not getting a gallon, particularly when
the price is plainly stated.

At many gas stations I've seen there's a big, prominent price sign
indicating 2.29 9/10 or whatever, with no indication of gallon, pint or
bowl. How many people read the line on the pump meter which actually says
'gallons'? They see the total price and swipe the card. I only said "3
quart gallons" to make my point, but if it was 108 oz. gallons, few would
notice - probably thinking the car needs a tune-up. And just for kicks, I
wonder where the 9/10-cent pricing originated.

People, in general, are amazing. Most of the time, they just go into a
business, and plonk down whatever the clerk says. Then, if they question
the clerk, the clerk gives them "that look", or the people in line start
bitching. Yet, if one is a good shopper, on most any trip, there will be an
item that doesn't ring up at what the shelf price was. My wife is queen of
the shoppers on this one. Me, I'm one of the ones that just plonk down the
money, cuz I'm in a hurry, and don't want "that look". Then I started
seeing instances where it was dollars, and not pennies, and in some cases,
lots of dollars. Lots of people pay no attention at all when shopping or
buying.

Caveat emptor.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably Stayfree maxi pads. I remember they went from 40 to
32 pads per box.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"1D10T" wrote in message
news

Inflation is not the issue. I can deal with that. Why can't
they JUST RAISE
THE PRICES? We'll all grumble and bitch, but we'll also
understand the
reason for higher prices. I wonder who started the shrink
ray crap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

The tank would have to have a lower pressure inside for air to enter..
That aint gonna happen.

It does if you leave the valve open!

Maybe old tanks. *The new ones have a valve that must be pushed open like
the tire valve on your car.

You can see how well that works!

Ya gotta close the valve, dude. Otherwise, you can get air and
moisture in the tank. That valve you are talking about is not intended
to be the main shutoff, and it seals better in one direction that the
other. That's why there is that big 'ole knob for you to turn on top.
They aren't going to do an autopsy first to see if each individual
tank actually has any moisture in it. If you come to get an empty tank
filled with the valve wide open, you lose. Zip up your fly and tie
your shoes while you're at it.

Sheesh.

...besides contributing to global warming, you will get cancer,
diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, emphysema, male pattern
baldness, and AIDS, too.
See hehttp://www.propane101.com/valveopennopropane.htm

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

So here's my question:

Are the control valves on the grill itself any less efficient than the
control valves on my kitchen stove?

In other words, do I really need to close the valve on the tank if the
valves on the grill are closed?

Wouldn't that be akin to closing the gas valve to my kitchen stove in
addition to turning off the valves to each burner?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

It isn't practical for retail, but I like the loyalty price concept.
When the woman who cuts my hair increases prices, it only applies to new
clients.

But does she leave your hair a little longer so you come back sooner?

Nah, she leaves it a little longer because my chick likes it long. I'm
on a six week schedule regardless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 11:43*am, wrote:
On Wed, 27 May 2009 06:21:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

is your kitchen stove fed by exposed rubber hoses?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, why? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

At least the ice cream makers used the proper sized package for the
reduced amount.

Except for the ones like Breyers, who whipped air into the product to
increase volume. When it melts, it looks like a wet sponge. Weigh Breyers
compared to their competitors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

I saw that story in the paper. The most amusing part was where the store
selling the reduced volume tanks stated that they had not received any
complaints from customers.

Oh well, now I'll go to the gas station that refills them. Less
expensive too, just not as convenient.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

1D10T wrote:

The Shrink Ray strikes again, just like groceries (4 # sugar, 11 oz. pounds
of coffee, etc.). Container stays the same, content gets smaller, price
remains the same, and if you do inquire, they claim it's to avoid price
increases. That's an insult to our intelligence because it's not disclosed
to the consumer, on the container or in the store. They're counting on the
stupidity of the average American consumer. What's next, 3 qt. gas gallons?

But unlike coffee, ice cream, etc., where the reduced volume or weight
is on the package, the propane tanks have no indication that the they're
not being filled as full as possible. This is simply fraud, and the
retailers and suppliers should be sued in a class action lawsuit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message

But unlike coffee, ice cream, etc., where the reduced volume or weight is
on the package, the propane tanks have no indication that the they're not
being filled as full as possible. This is simply fraud, and the retailers
and suppliers should be sued in a class action lawsuit.

How about Breyers whipping air into the product to increase volume.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 12:21:11 -0700, SMS wrote:
1D10T wrote:

The Shrink Ray strikes again, just like groceries (4 # sugar, 11 oz. pounds
of coffee, etc.). Container stays the same, content gets smaller, price
remains the same, and if you do inquire, they claim it's to avoid price
increases. That's an insult to our intelligence because it's not disclosed
to the consumer, on the container or in the store. They're counting on the
stupidity of the average American consumer. What's next, 3 qt. gas gallons?

But unlike coffee, ice cream, etc., where the reduced volume or weight
is on the package, the propane tanks have no indication that the they're
not being filled as full as possible. This is simply fraud, and the
retailers and suppliers should be sued in a class action lawsuit.

They usually have a level indication on the side. The change in
temperature between empty and occupied space displays on the indicator.

There's also medication to help you with your paranoia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 May 2009 21:32:47 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

I've been trying to get that exact point across to Mr. Pawlowski for 2
days now.

I'm glad somebody else feels the same way I do.

RTFL - Read the ... label

I haven't exchanged a tank in a while. Going by what you are saying
I assume that the exchanged tank would be marked if it contained 15
pounds instead of the normal 18 or 19. Is this why you are saying
"RTFL - Read the ... label" ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

1D10T wrote:
[...]

Usually? Where do you get tanks that have an indicator on the side?

I've seen them as after-market devices, but I can't say that I've ever
seen one on any tank I've bought or exchanged for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

But unlike coffee, ice cream, etc., where the reduced volume or weight
is on the package, the propane tanks have no indication that the they're
not being filled as full as possible. This is simply fraud, and the
retailers and suppliers should be sued in a class action lawsuit.

They usually have a level indication on the side. The change in
temperature between empty and occupied space displays on the indicator.

Where is this level indication? I have been using propane tanks for
years and I have yet to see a new or refilled tank come with a level
indication.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

1D10T wrote:

The Shrink Ray strikes again, just like groceries (4 # sugar, 11 oz. pounds
of coffee, etc.). Container stays the same, content gets smaller, price
remains the same, and if you do inquire, they claim it's to avoid price
increases. That's an insult to our intelligence because it's not disclosed
to the consumer, on the container or in the store. They're counting on the
stupidity of the average American consumer. What's next, 3 qt. gas gallons?

But unlike coffee, ice cream, etc., where the reduced volume or weight
is on the package, the propane tanks have no indication that the they're
not being filled as full as possible. This is simply fraud, and the
retailers and suppliers should be sued in a class action lawsuit.

Huh? Since this thread appeared, I started noticing the tank
exchanges at various places -- every single one had the weight (15 lbs
in most cases) prominently displayed, large enough to be visible from
10-15 feet away. I don't recall if the tanks themselves had wrappers
(they were behind a cage), but if so I'm sure the weight was listed
there also. Just like coffee, ice cream, etc (actually the ones I saw
were more prominent)

Has anyone actually seen a display not indicate this? At an
otherwise-reputable retailer?

Josh
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 14:31:09 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
. ..

But unlike coffee, ice cream, etc., where the reduced volume or weight is
on the package, the propane tanks have no indication that the they're not
being filled as full as possible. This is simply fraud, and the retailers
and suppliers should be sued in a class action lawsuit.

How about Breyers whipping air into the product to increase volume.

That's not why you whip air into ice cream, dimwit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 27 May 2009 14:31:09 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
.. .

But unlike coffee, ice cream, etc., where the reduced volume or weight
is
on the package, the propane tanks have no indication that the they're
not
being filled as full as possible. This is simply fraud, and the
retailers
and suppliers should be sued in a class action lawsuit.

How about Breyers whipping air into the product to increase volume.

That's not why you whip air into ice cream, dimwit.

I don't; Breyers does.

A chemical research team in Britain discovered a method of doubling the
amount of air in ice cream, which allowed manufacturers to use *less of the
actual ingredients*, thereby reducing costs. The incorporation of air into
ice cream is what the trade refers to as overrun.
All commercial ice creams have "overrun," a term applied to the amount of
air they contain. The percentage of overrun ranges from 0 (no air) to 200, a
theoretical figure that would be all air. The legal overrun limit for ice
cream is 100 percent, which would amount to half air. Ice cream needs some
air or it would be rock-hard. But one with 100 percent overrun would have so
little body that it would feel mushy in the mouth; it would also melt
extremely fast. An ice cream with the more desirable proportion of 20 to 50
percent overrun (10 to 25 percent air) would be denser, creamier and
eminently more satisfying. Since the overrun is not required to be listed on
the package, the only way to be absolutely sure is to weigh the carton. Ice
cream with a 50 percent overrun (25 percent air) will weigh about 18 ounces
per pint (subtract about 1 1/2 ounces for the weight of the container). The
weight of the ice cream will be proportionately higher with a lower
percentage of overrun.

Breyers has so much overrun that when it melts it looks like a wet sponge,
not the creamy appearance one would expect to see. It also has a "grainy"
texture in the mouth. If it wouldn't require the purchase of a Breyers'
product, I'd do the weight test, although just handling it and comparing
with other brands, it is lighter.

My bad for not stating "How about Breyers whipping *excessive* air into the
product to increase volume.

Do a little research before you make another childish comment, dip****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:04:04 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 27 May 2009 14:31:09 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

You shall remain an idiot. There is excessive overrun in your head.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
You shall remain an idiot. There is excessive overrun in your head.

Your typical constructive and informative contribution to the group.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:34:34 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

wrote in message
news
You shall remain an idiot. There is excessive overrun in your head.

Your typical constructive and informative contribution to the group.

You must be pretty new here, putz.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message
.. .

"SMS" wrote in message

But unlike coffee, ice cream, etc., where the reduced volume or weight is
on the package, the propane tanks have no indication that the they're not
being filled as full as possible. This is simply fraud, and the retailers
and suppliers should be sued in a class action lawsuit.

How about Breyers whipping air into the product to increase volume.

Every ice cream maker (including me) whips some air into the product. The
question is how much. I'd like to compare the old stuff from years ago to
the present.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:34:34 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

wrote in message
news
You shall remain an idiot. There is excessive overrun in your head.

Your typical constructive and informative contribution to the group.

You must be pretty new here, putz.

Long enough to know that you have made almost 700 replies and only ONE
original post (Bagster) since 12/26/07. Your replies are all typically
critical of the person you reply to and condescending as hell. Get lost sap!
You're not worth any more of my time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 21:21:00 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 27 May 2009 17:34:34 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

wrote in message
news
You shall remain an idiot. There is excessive overrun in your head.

Your typical constructive and informative contribution to the group.

You must be pretty new here, putz.

Long enough to know that you have made almost 700 replies and only ONE
original post (Bagster) since 12/26/07. Your replies are all typically
critical of the person you reply to and condescending as hell. Get lost sap!
You're not worth any more of my time.

You shall remain an idiot.... and your newbie staus is firmly
established.

If you don't like it here, then stick a rope up your ass and climb it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

1D10T wrote:

How about Breyers whipping air into the product to increase volume.

For all their recent faults, that's not something they do.

If you ever look at ice cream at a store at high elevation, the store
brands will typically have the lids popping off from the expansion of
the excessive air. The Breyer's and the Haagen Daaz will have their lids
intact. I notice this whenever I'm up near Lake Tahoe and buy ice cream.

Propane vs gas Charles Bishop[_2_] Home Repair 8 October 31st 08 12:24 PM
Nat gas to Propane Dean Home Repair 2 February 5th 07 02:41 AM
Propane vs. LPG Dave Fawthrop UK diy 0 November 19th 05 06:53 PM
Oxy/Propane Howard UK diy 4 March 7th 05 03:39 PM
Propane FAQ Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 January 25th 05 01:31 AM