Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

Default Building steps

I used the words tendency, would, tend to - there is nothing there
that says in all occasions all steel rusts. ?I also put the rusting
issue in second place in my short list of reasons. ?You made a massive
assumption that I was somehow referring to all situations and you got
snarky about it.

Your two comments;
"How are they going to get bigger while they're encased in concrete?"
and
"Oh, for heaven's sake. Haven't you ever heard of rebar?"
imply that you equated an engine block dumped in a hole in the ground,
with engineered and correctly installed reinforced concrete. ?I took
exception to that.

I appreciate that you think the OP - a guy who wants to toss a
considerable quantity of scrap iron into a set of steps as filler - as
being so clued in to the correct amount of concrete coverage, and
would know how to suspend an engine block to insure that amount of
coverage. ?I have no such illusions.

ideally all rebar should be non magnetic stainless, which never

rusts...........

I'm late to the party but if they are really concerned about corrosion in
the rebar maybe they should look into getting some of the (fairly) new stuff
called MMFX rebar. It is five times as corrosion-resistant and up to three
times as strong as conventional steel. He could use less steel and it would
last longer than just about any other comparable product. Ameristeel is
advertising a product called "Z-Bar" that is better (per their claim, not
mine) than just plain epoxy coated bars, but I have not been involved with
any project that used this material, so I can't say anything one way or the
other about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 19, 10:45*pm, "TheRebarGuy" wrote:
[...]

Whats the green rebar I saw a while back, was it a coating?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 20, 10:48*pm, "
wrote:

Whats the green rebar I saw a while back, was it a coating?

Yep. It's an epoxy coating. It's used in construction where the
rebar will be subjected to harsh conditions and rusting is an issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

wrote:
[...]

I think that is the epoxy (or some sort of plastic) coated stuff. As
they lay it out, somebody has to go spot-treat all the spots where they
weld it or cut it, lest that provide an entry point for water to get
under the protective layer. The spot repairs I see are red, probably to
make it quick to check and see that none got missed. A color like green
would also make any damaged rusty spots jump out at you.

The green stuff is all I ever see anymore used on bridge or parking
garage work around here in salt country. Even see it used on vertical
work, like for exposed concrete on buildings.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, it is epoxy coated rebar, Out in the west they also have an epoxy
coating that is purple. They have different properties in the coating and
are used in different applications.

The "Z" bar I mentioned above is in a Yellow coating.

I "heard" (so it may/may not be true) that a job one time was supposed to
use epoxy coated rebar, but the shop sent black (that is the term we use for
uncoated plain old rebar)) bar instead. The contractor didn't want to wait
for it to be refabbed, so he told the guys to go to paint store, get a can
of green paint, bring it back and coat the bars with that instead...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

"TheRebarGuy" wrote in message
.. .

I "heard" (so it may/may not be true) that a job one time was supposed to
use epoxy coated rebar, but the shop sent black (that is the term we use
for uncoated plain old rebar)) bar instead. The contractor didn't want to
wait for it to be refabbed, so he told the guys to go to paint store, get
a can of green paint, bring it back and coat the bars with that instead...

A contractor cutting corners to save time? No way! That's prepostorous!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 21, 5:21 am, "Pierre Levesque" wrote:
"TheRebarGuy" wrote in message

.. .

I "heard" (so it may/may not be true) that a job one time was supposed to
use epoxy coated rebar, but the shop sent black (that is the term we use
for uncoated plain old rebar)) bar instead. The contractor didn't want to
wait for it to be refabbed, so he told the guys to go to paint store, get
a can of green paint, bring it back and coat the bars with that instead...

A contractor cutting corners to save time? No way! That's prepostorous!

While on the subject of metal, I had a beam-hanger
break on me the other day.
To service below my bathwoom floor, we have removable
2x4's 4 ft span set in beam hangers, then 1/2" plywood
on them covered by carpet. It's a good system because
the floor joists are easy to remove, to get them the hell
out of the way for easy access to service plumbing.
It's called a "Simpson Strong-Tie LU24L".

It might be my fault because I opened it about 60 degs
then closed and attached and may have fatigued it, it
broke at the bottom where it's bent 90 degs.
Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil
Pat Pat is offline

On May 20, 11:27*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On May 20, 10:48*pm, "
wrote:

Whats the green rebar I saw a while back, was it a coating?

Yep. *It's an epoxy coating. *It's used in construction where the
rebar will be subjected to harsh conditions and rusting is an issue.

Okay, I'm being stupid here (but that's not hard)

If rebar is supposed to be encased inside of the concrete and not
exposed to the elements. Isn't all rebar more or less exposed to the
SAME conditions (ie being embedded in concrete)? Wouldn't almost
anything that would bother the rebar also bother the concrete?
Wouldn't a better solution be to protect the concrete?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 21, 4:52*pm, Pat wrote:

If rebar is supposed to be encased inside of the concrete and not
exposed to the elements. *Isn't all rebar more or less exposed to the
SAME conditions (ie being embedded in concrete)? *Wouldn't almost
anything that would bother the rebar also bother the concrete?
Wouldn't a better solution be to protect the concrete?

The main culprits in attacking the rebar, salt and water, don't have
nearly as much effect on concrete. Protecting the concrete would
require protecting large areas, and periodic reapplication of whatever
it was you were using to protect it. The epoxy coated rebar has a
much smaller area (in general) and it's a one shot deal.

Your bones are encased in meat, but you can still break your bones
even through the meat. That's why Wolverine has an admantium skeleton
- I'm amazed I have to tell you this!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 21, 6:00*am, "TheRebarGuy" wrote:

Yes, it is epoxy coated rebar, Out in the west they also have an epoxy
coating that is purple. They have different properties in the coating and
are used in different applications.

I have seen fiberglass rebar mentioned. Does it have any disadvantages
over steel rebar?

--
Ron

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 21, 1:11*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
On May 21, 5:21 am, "Pierre Levesque" wrote:

"TheRebarGuy" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

I'd like to see that, as I've never seen one bent-and then break
because of it.
It would have had to have been bent back and forth quite a bit to have
stressed to the breaking point.

I installed 64 HU28's and 8 HU28-2's yesterday and the only thing that
broke was the skin on the middle finger of my left hand as it crushed
between the edge of an HU28 and a 28oz Estwing waffle face. It made
for a really nifty red splash pattern on the ledger board.

(6) 16d's per hanger - do the math x 28oz.....yes my arm is warped
this morning........

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 21, 5:50*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On May 21, 4:52*pm, Pat wrote:

If rebar is supposed to be encased inside of the concrete and not
exposed to the elements. *Isn't all rebar more or less exposed to the
SAME conditions (ie being embedded in concrete)? *Wouldn't almost
anything that would bother the rebar also bother the concrete?
Wouldn't a better solution be to protect the concrete?

The main culprits in attacking the rebar, salt and water, don't have
nearly as much effect on concrete. *Protecting the concrete would
require protecting large areas, and periodic reapplication of whatever
it was you were using to protect it. *The epoxy coated rebar has a
much smaller area (in general) and it's a one shot deal.

Your bones are encased in meat, but you can still break your bones
even through the meat. *That's why Wolverine has an admantium skeleton
- I'm amazed I have to tell you this!!!! *

My son has been a Logan fan since day 1 and has 100 copies of
Wolverine#1 in Wizard archival bags with boards.
(I only have 1 copy)
Just yesterday he emailed me a picture of a razor he purchased -
Wolverine version, Gillette brand, for keeping nice crisp corners on
those 50's style sideburns Logan sports that the ladies find so
appealing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On Sun, 24 May 2009 21:35:45 -0700 (PDT), Ron Peterson
wrote:

On May 21, 6:00*am, "TheRebarGuy" wrote:

Yes, it is epoxy coated rebar, Out in the west they also have an epoxy
coating that is purple. They have different properties in the coating and
are used in different applications.

I have seen fiberglass rebar mentioned. Does it have any disadvantages
over steel rebar?

Fiberglass re-bar? Or Fiberglass mesh/screen?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

Ron Peterson wrote:
On May 21, 6:00 am, "TheRebarGuy" wrote:

Yes, it is epoxy coated rebar, Out in the west they also have an epoxy
coating that is purple. They have different properties in the coating and
are used in different applications.

I have seen fiberglass rebar mentioned. Does it have any disadvantages
over steel rebar?

--
Ron

???? They likely meant glass fiber additive, as a replacement for rebar,
not actual rebar made of fiberglass. Used mainly in light slabs like
patios, garages, and warm-climate driveways. I suppose it reduces prep
labor, but I'm old fashioned and not sure I'd trust it as a replacement
for 4" fabric.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 25, 7:44*am, "
wrote:

My son has been a Logan fan since day 1 and has 100 copies of
Wolverine#1 in Wizard archival bags with boards.
(I only have 1 copy)
Just yesterday he emailed me a picture of a razor he purchased -
Wolverine version, Gillette brand, for keeping nice crisp corners on
those 50's style sideburns Logan sports that the ladies find so
appealing.

I have a comic collection from my ute. It was interesting to see the
spike in the value of X-Men comics about 12 years ago. It was less
interesting to discover that somewhere along the line a few hundred
comics of mine went missing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 25, 9:10*am, aemeijers wrote:
Ron Peterson wrote:
On May 21, 6:00 am, "TheRebarGuy" wrote:

Yes, it is epoxy coated rebar, Out in the west they also have an epoxy
coating that is purple. They have different properties in the coating and
are used in different applications.

I have seen fiberglass rebar mentioned. Does it have any disadvantages
over steel rebar?

???? They likely meant glass fiber additive, as a replacement for rebar,
not actual rebar made of fiberglass. Used mainly in light slabs like
patios, garages, and warm-climate driveways. I suppose it reduces prep
labor, but I'm old fashioned and not sure I'd trust it as a replacement
for 4" fabric.

The Stone Slab Floor Setters union thought the same thing when that
new-fangled fake stone - concrete - was introduced.

http://www.fiberglassrebar.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

Ron Peterson wrote:
On May 21, 6:00 am, "TheRebarGuy" wrote:
Yes, it is epoxy coated rebar, Out in the west they also have an epoxy
coating that is purple. They have different properties in the coating and
are used in different applications.
I have seen fiberglass rebar mentioned. Does it have any disadvantages
over steel rebar?

???? They likely meant glass fiber additive, as a replacement for rebar,
not actual rebar made of fiberglass. Used mainly in light slabs like
patios, garages, and warm-climate driveways. I suppose it reduces prep
labor, but I'm old fashioned and not sure I'd trust it as a replacement
for 4" fabric.

The Stone Slab Floor Setters union thought the same thing when that
new-fangled fake stone - concrete - was introduced.

http://www.fiberglassrebar.com

Learn something every day on here- I did not know that they were making
that now. (I may have grown up in the business, but I haven't actually
been in it for several years.) Thanks for the link.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

RicodJour wrote:
On May 25, 7:44 am, "
wrote:
My son has been a Logan fan since day 1 and has 100 copies of
Wolverine#1 in Wizard archival bags with boards.
(I only have 1 copy)
Just yesterday he emailed me a picture of a razor he purchased -
Wolverine version, Gillette brand, for keeping nice crisp corners on
those 50's style sideburns Logan sports that the ladies find so
appealing.

I have a comic collection from my ute. It was interesting to see the
spike in the value of X-Men comics about 12 years ago. It was less
interesting to discover that somewhere along the line a few hundred
comics of mine went missing.

I know guys who's mother/sister/wife/insane female human
threw away the guy's comic book collection when he was
away at work/war/contract job overseas. The guy comes
home and finds his stuff gone and the insane female human
is so puzzled by the often violent reaction. Guys have to
hide their stuff in a locked warehouse or safety deposit
box.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 18, 10:20*am, RicodJour wrote:
On May 18, 7:57*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

RicodJour wrote:
On May 17, 8:00=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:

How are they going to get bigger while they're encased in concrete?

It really surprises me that you have such problems understanding
this. *Your personal observation of those funky brown stains on
concrete structures everywhere should indicate that something is
rusting. *If you can't see what's rusting, and are keen enough to
realize that rust doesn't just magically appear on concrete, you'll
probably latch on that the rust is coming from inside the concrete.

In a nutshell. *Concrete is not waterproof. *It wicks up moisture.
The steel doesn't care that it is encased in concrete and will rust in
the presence of the H2O. *Concrete sucks in tension - something on the
order of 1/10 its strength in compression. *Constant tension on
concrete leads to cracking. *Cracking allows in more moisture, and the
cycle continues until the structure falls apart.

I guess all those engineers who've been building things with steel-reinforced
concrete for all these years must be completely ignorant, huh?

From the results, some of them obviously were.

Your stance is that you can throw steel into a concrete pour and it
doesn't do anything because, hell, rebar is steel. *That's like saying
that you can pour gas anywhere into a car since a car runs on gas.
You know, nonsense.

Like I said, if you want to learn, Google the subject. *I'll give you
a head start. *This is from Wiki on reinforced concrete:

"Common failure modes of steel reinforced concrete
Reinforced concrete can fail due to inadequate strength, leading to
mechanical failure, or due to a reduction in its durability. Corrosion
and freeze/thaw cycles may damage poorly designed or constructed
reinforced concrete. When rebar corrodes, the oxidation products
(rust) expand and tends to flake, cracking the concrete and unbonding
the rebar from the concrete."

And this is from the Canadian Research Council:

"PREVENTING REBAR CORROSION IN CONCRETE STRUCTURES
by Shiyuan Qian

This article reviews the issue of rebar corrosion, discusses some of
the preventive technologies available, and presents information on
recent studies conducted by NRC’s Institute for Research in
Construction.

The corrosion of reinforcing steel bars is one of the main causes of
deterioration of reinforced concrete structures in North America. *It
has become a serious, widespread problem, with repair costs now in the
billions of dollars annually. *Whether the corroding rebars are seen
exposed on delaminated bridge decks or
piers, or observed in damaged parking garages, engineers and
contractors are all too familiar with the problem, as are anxious
property owners who call on them to provide solutions."

It's either odd that;
1). these guys are in collusion and making this stuff up
or
2). you've never noticed it.

My bet is on the second.

The main reason that the OP shouldn't throw the scrap iron in the
steps is because it is wasting money. *The second reason is that the
random steel "reinforcing" will eventually cause problems.

I'm taking the liberty of cross posting this to some other groups with
more knowledge on construction than this one. *Let's see who weighs in
and which way the verdict goes.

Well, the problem is so old that the verdict always goes the unions
way, anyway,
regardless of what anybody else votes.
So, that's also why the reason the people with post-pyramid
engineering talent, also
decided to work on self-assembling robots, self-replicating
machines, autonomous vehicles,
fiber optics, optical computers. gps, laserdisks, on-line
publishing,
and compact flourescent lighting instead of either the concrete or
steel problem.

R- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 25, 10:34*am, RicodJour wrote:
On May 25, 7:44*am, "
wrote:

My son has been a Logan fan since day 1 and has 100 copies of
Wolverine#1 in Wizard archival bags with boards.
(I only have 1 copy)
Just yesterday he emailed me a picture of a razor he purchased -
Wolverine version, Gillette brand, for keeping nice crisp corners on
those 50's style sideburns Logan sports that the ladies find so
appealing.

I have a comic collection from my ute. *It was interesting to see the
spike in the value of X-Men comics about 12 years ago. *It was less
interesting to discover that somewhere along the line a few hundred
comics of mine went missing.

I've have (6) 1/2 boxes of bagged and boarded comics, mainly #1
issues, sitting out in the garage I'd like to get rid of but a cursory
review of the market shows they are worth next to nothing. Maybe
they'll burn well.
And I have thousands of comic cards, complete sets with chase cards,
in archival sheets and binders too.
I sure wasted alot of $$$ in my later ute.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

wrote:

[...]

As an early 60's brat, when the Yankees were hot, I got
Roger Maris and Yogi Berra gum cards, (5 cents for 4 cards
+ stale bubble gum), gave them away. Today I read they're
worth serious coin.
Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 31, 11:55*am, "
wrote:

I've have (6) 1/2 boxes of bagged and boarded comics, mainly #1
issues, sitting out in the garage I'd like to get rid of but a cursory
review of the market shows they are worth next to nothing. Maybe
they'll burn well.
And I have thousands of comic cards, complete sets with chase cards,
in archival sheets and binders too.
I sure wasted alot of $$$ in my later ute.

What were you reading/collecting that #1 issues are almost worthless?
I just read what I liked. I actually had a non-lending comic book
library in college to help support my habit. Collected dues and a had
a punch card catalog system and everything. Some of them are worth a
fair amount. I was a little brought down when I started looking into
the values that the ones that disappeared had most of the value. And
also disappointed to see that what should be the most valuable comic I
have in the collection is missing it's cover and worth a tiny fraction
of an intact comic. No surprise there, still disappointing.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

Ken S. Tucker wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Like most 'if only' collectible stories- if everyone who gave away
stuff, and everyone whose Mom threw away 'all that junk' when they went
away to college, still had said collectibles, they would not be very
rare or valuable. Collectibles that STAY valuable just happen- companies
that try to engineer their stuff becoming valuable almost always fail at
it. (Beanie Babies, newspaper ad ceramics, those little 'jumping disc'
toys I can't remember the name of, pretty much any sports cards that
says 'collectible' on the package, 'special collectors edition' comic
books, etc.) Like trying to capture lightning in a bottle.

Like most middle-agers, I could cry if I thought about some of the
now-valuable trash I had as a kid, that floated away without a trace...

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

In article
,
aemeijers wrote:

companies
that try to engineer their stuff becoming valuable almost always fail at
it. (Beanie Babies, ...

Uh, Ty Warner is *filthy* rich. He doesn't give a damn whether his
beanie babies are still collectibles. He made billions * yeah, that's
billions with a "b" * on them in the blink of an eye.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
aemeijers wrote:

companies
that try to engineer their stuff becoming valuable almost always fail at
it. (Beanie Babies, ...

Uh, Ty Warner is *filthy* rich. He doesn't give a damn whether his
beanie babies are still collectibles. He made billions * yeah, that's
billions with a "b" * on them in the blink of an eye.

And I admire him for it, just like I admire the Pet Rock guy. He came up
with a relatively harmless hustle, and made his pile. But he made his
billions fleecing sheep at the outset, not because his hustle had any
staying power. For years after the fad collapsed, I saw thousands of
dollars worth (original price) BB's going for a quarter apiece at garage
sales, as people tried to recover something from their foolishness. The
BB's themselves were essentially worthless, it was the hype that made
the money.

I always wondered about those collector cards in the foil packs, that
supposedly lose most of their value if opened. How do the people who buy
them second and third hand at shows know there isn't just blank
cardboard in there? Talk about faith....

Wish I could think up a hustle like that.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil

On May 31, 10:10*pm, aemeijers wrote:
I always wondered about those collector cards in the foil packs, that
supposedly lose most of their value if opened. How do the people who buy
them second and third hand at shows know there isn't just blank
cardboard in there? Talk about faith....

BRB, I gotta go shred some foil......

Reasonable price for building a few steps? Lee Home Repair 12 September 14th 08 09:35 PM
Building Curved steps pls UK diy 1 March 10th 07 12:15 PM
Building steps with stone ?? James Home Repair 1 February 28th 07 05:15 PM
help pls! Building regs re doors and steps Jim UK diy 2 March 31st 06 10:06 PM
Building steps for an attached deck DRM Home Repair 8 August 7th 05 01:37 AM