Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Will spray paint last longer on Garage door, then brush?

I am getting a new garage door, but my ideal color is not available.
So I will be painting it. just curious if spray painting it by a
professional (my friend) will make it last longer then using a
brush? Or is it more a matter of finished look and not of
durability? Will using a roller give me a finish similar to spray
painting? But of coarse which one is more durable is more important
to me. Any ideas? thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:
I am getting a new garage door, but my ideal color is not available.
So I will be painting it. just curious if spray painting it by a
professional (my friend) will make it last longer then using a
brush? Or is it more a matter of finished look and not of
durability? Will using a roller give me a finish similar to spray
painting? But of coarse which one is more durable is more important
to me. Any ideas? thanks.

Hi,
First prep. is most important and best quality paint. I'd use brush and
roller, Spray? Weather has to be absolutely calm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 May 2009 20:14:51 -0700 (PDT), lbbss
wrote:

I am getting a new garage door, but my ideal color is not available.
So I will be painting it. just curious if spray painting it by a
professional (my friend) will make it last longer then using a
brush? Or is it more a matter of finished look and not of
durability? Will using a roller give me a finish similar to spray
painting? But of coarse which one is more durable is more important
to me. Any ideas? thanks.

Depends entirely on the paint and prep work.
Spray definitely looks better if properly done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 May 2009 21:52:24 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

lbbss wrote:
I am getting a new garage door, but my ideal color is not available.
So I will be painting it. just curious if spray painting it by a
professional (my friend) will make it last longer then using a
brush? Or is it more a matter of finished look and not of
durability? Will using a roller give me a finish similar to spray
painting? But of coarse which one is more durable is more important
to me. Any ideas? thanks.

Hi,
First prep. is most important and best quality paint. I'd use brush and
roller, Spray? Weather has to be absolutely calm.

Best to do it in a paint booth with an automotive type paint for long
life and high gloss. Urethane would likely be best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:

I am getting a new garage door, but my ideal color is not available.
So I will be painting it. just curious if spray painting it by a
professional (my friend) will make it last longer then using a
brush?

If it's metal or fiberglass, a sprayed finish, especially catalyzed
automotive urethane, epoxy, or enamel, should hold up much longer,
provided the preparation is done very well (thorough degreasing,
sanding and scuffing, "liquid sandpaper" applied to areas that can't
be reached, followed by more cleaning). I'd probably have only the
exterior painted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

lbbss wrote:
I am getting a new garage door, but my ideal color is not available.
So I will be painting it. just curious if spray painting it by a
professional (my friend) will make it last longer then using a
brush? Or is it more a matter of finished look and not of
durability? Will using a roller give me a finish similar to spray
painting? But of coarse which one is more durable is more important
to me. Any ideas? thanks.

Hi,
First prep. is most important and best quality paint. I'd use brush and
roller, Spray? Weather has to be absolutely calm.

Is this a metal door? If so, have your friend spray it. It will look a
LOT better. Painting with a brush on wood is more forgiving, because
brush marks could also be "grain". On metal you want smooth. You'll
notice that cars rarely get painted with a brush.

On a metal door, you can also use automotive type finishes rather than
house paint, which will last a lot longer. For that matter you could
use something like rustoleum, and it will last lfar onger than house
paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

lbbss wrote:
I am getting a new garage door, but my ideal color is not available.
So I will be painting it. just curious if spray painting it by a
professional (my friend) will make it last longer then using a
brush? Or is it more a matter of finished look and not of
durability? Will using a roller give me a finish similar to spray
painting? But of coarse which one is more durable is more important
to me. Any ideas? thanks.

What you use to apply paint has little to do with durability of the
application. Preparation, preparation, preparation. Clean, free of
rust, dust, oil. Quality paint used per label directions.

FWIW, I had an old junker of a garage door, very rusty, in a rental home
I lived in. Brushed and sanded off the rust, used Rustoleum rusty metal
primer and plain old house paint (oil/alkyd). Lasted for years.
Spraying usually requires thinning a bit (READ the LABEL) and can give a
nice smooth coat. Foam rollers are a bit fussy but just about as smooth
and probably thinner coat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 10:14*pm, lbbss wrote:
I am getting a new garage door, but my ideal color is not available.
So I will be painting it. * just curious if spray painting it by a
professional (my friend) will make it last longer then using a
brush? * Or is it more a matter of finished look and not of
durability? *Will using a roller give me a finish similar to spray
painting? *But of coarse which one is more durable is more important
to me. * Any ideas? *thanks.

You ask if a roller will give you a finish similar to spraying, do
your interior home walls look sprayed! What will last longer, its
more about prep, proper painting and using the right product thats
important, auto paint is made for steel that doesnt flex like doors
do. Go to a real paint store and use what they recommend, like Ben
Moore or Sherwin Williams, they probably sell they paint to the
manufacturers anyway that make doors and will direct you right, forget
about HD type stores. Ive sprayed a few but every job is different.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 7:42*am, ransley wrote:
On May 14, 10:14*pm, lbbss wrote:

[...]

Whether it's applied with a brush or sprayed has everything to do with
how it looks and how long it takes, but very little to do with how
long it lasts. How long it lasts depends on the paint used and the
prep work. In this case, since the door is new, the prep isn't a
factor.

I would have to disagree that auto paint can't be used. Auto paint
is routinely applied to surfaces that flex and in many cases flex more
than a garage door wood. Plastic body parts, like modern bumpers
being one good example.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"lbbss" wrote in message
I am getting a new garage door, but my ideal color is not available.
So I will be painting it. just curious if spray painting it by a
professional (my friend) will make it last longer then using a
brush? Or is it more a matter of finished look and not of
durability? Will using a roller give me a finish similar to spray
painting? But of coarse which one is more durable is more important
to me. Any ideas? thanks.

Spray and then brush? Why do it both ways?