DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Inlet Water Pressure Reducer (Watts Co,) Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/277244-inlet-water-pressure-reducer-watts-co-question.html)

Robert11[_2_] May 4th 09 09:21 PM

Inlet Water Pressure Reducer (Watts Co,) Question

Hello,

This is a really weird one.

Had a house inlet supply pressure reducing water valve put in by the town
water Dept about a month ago.
They used the typical Watts one, and all is fine.
Body looks like it is a brass alloy of some sort, like they all do.

Today, I noticed the outside of the body has developed a greyish-white,
hard, coating on it.
Almost looks like an oxide of some sort, or an almost microscopic "pitting"

Location is dry.
No leaks around pressure reducer.

I'll have them back to look at it, but was wondering if anyone ever had
anything like this ?

Thanks,
Bob

Caesar Romano May 5th 09 12:06 AM

Inlet Water Pressure Reducer (Watts Co,) Question

On Mon, 4 May 2009 16:21:38 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote Re Inlet Water Pressure Reducer (Watts Co,) Question:

I'll have them back to look at it, but was wondering if anyone ever had
anything like this ?

Yes, prior to valve body failure I had something like that.

John Grabowski May 5th 09 10:57 PM

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello,

This is a really weird one.

Had a house inlet supply pressure reducing water valve put in by the town
water Dept about a month ago.
They used the typical Watts one, and all is fine.
Body looks like it is a brass alloy of some sort, like they all do.

Today, I noticed the outside of the body has developed a greyish-white,
hard, coating on it.
Almost looks like an oxide of some sort, or an almost microscopic
"pitting"

Location is dry.
No leaks around pressure reducer.

I'll have them back to look at it, but was wondering if anyone ever had
anything like this ?

*My first thought was dissimilar metals. Are your pipes galvanized or
copper?

George May 5th 09 11:48 PM

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

This is a really weird one.

Had a house inlet supply pressure reducing water valve put in by the town
water Dept about a month ago.
They used the typical Watts one, and all is fine.
Body looks like it is a brass alloy of some sort, like they all do.

Watts house hold stuff seems to have turned into big box quality. I have
know idea what they are made from the "brass" is just a coating.