DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   entry door (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/277045-entry-door.html)

trailer[_2_] May 1st 09 03:34 PM

entry door

I'm considering replacing my entry door. Looking at the Andersen brand at
HD.

Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? Or should I
stay with a wood door?

Can fiberglass be painted?

Thanks.

ransley May 1st 09 03:56 PM

entry door

On May 1, 9:34*am, "trailer" wrote:
I'm considering replacing my entry door. *Looking at the Andersen brand at
HD.

Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? *Or should I
stay with a wood door?

Can fiberglass be painted?

Thanks.

Andersen is quality, Im looking at fiberglass cheap ones. Wood looks
better but needs maintenance every few years, and that is alot of work
to do it right. Metal dents and transfers in cold. You can paint or
stain fiberglass, paint would last, clearcoats dont in sun.

Joe May 1st 09 05:39 PM

entry door

On May 1, 9:34*am, "trailer" wrote:
I'm considering replacing my entry door. *Looking at the Andersen brand at
HD.

Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? *Or should I
stay with a wood door?

Can fiberglass be painted?

Thanks.

We installed a ThermaTrue fiberglass a few months ago. This is an
outward opening door, hence little protection from the elements. Not
cheap, but very well constructed. Too busy to paint it yet, maybe a
report on that later. The company seems to have a of positive comments
in this NG and trade publications. Maybe specializing in doors gives
them an advantage. IIRC, it is one of the larger companies in the
business. We used a local lumber yard for our supplier, but checked
out Pella and others before committing. HTH

Joe

ransley May 1st 09 10:08 PM

entry door

On May 1, 11:40*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
trailer wrote:
I'm considering replacing my entry door. *Looking at the Andersen brand at
HD.

Are the fiberglass doors, which are somewhat cheaper, any good? *Or should I
stay with a wood door?

Can fiberglass be painted?

Thanks.

I just replace mine with a $37.00 cardboard door. Looks nice all painted
and sealed. Looks like wood grain and the storm door will protect it
from the weather. If somebody wants to break in, a steel door won't stop
them.

37 thats cheap for cardboard, must be Chinese cardboard