DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Short of rehanging a door, is there a quick way to make it NOT closeon its own ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/276882-short-rehanging-door-there-quick-way-make-not-closeon-its-own.html)

[email protected][_2_] April 28th 09 10:54 PM

Short of rehanging a door, is there a quick way to make it NOT closeon its own ?

I have a door which id like to stay open when i open it, but it slowly
closes. I know i could put something under the door to hold it open
fully, but, is there a trick or tip to keeping it open without having
to re-hang it ?

charlie April 28th 09 11:20 PM

wrote in message
I have a door which id like to stay open when i open it, but it slowly
closes. I know i could put something under the door to hold it open
fully, but, is there a trick or tip to keeping it open without having
to re-hang it ?

take one of the pins out and very slightly bend it.

Ivan Vegvary April 28th 09 11:42 PM

wrote in message
I have a door which id like to stay open when i open it, but it slowly
closes. I know i could put something under the door to hold it open
fully, but, is there a trick or tip to keeping it open without having
to re-hang it ?

I have often wished that somebody would come up with a spray can of "instant
rust". Would be handy on the hinges and many other uses.

Ivan Vegvary

Oren[_2_] April 28th 09 11:42 PM

Short of rehanging a door, is there a quick way to make it NOT close on its own ?

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:54:46 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have a door which id like to stay open when i open it, but it slowly
closes. I know i could put something under the door to hold it open
fully, but, is there a trick or tip to keeping it open without having
to re-hang it ?

Bend a hinge pin. Start with the center one.

Requires the pin, a floor and a hammer.

Mike Paulsen April 28th 09 11:50 PM

wrote:
I have a door which id like to stay open when i open it, but it slowly
closes. I know i could put something under the door to hold it open
fully, but, is there a trick or tip to keeping it open without having
to re-hang it ?

Spring hinge. They come in spring open and spring close, you want the
former.

[email protected] April 29th 09 01:39 AM

Short of rehanging a door, is there a quick way to make it NOT close on its own ?

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:50:41 -0500, Mike Paulsen

I have a door which id like to stay open when i open it, but it slowly
closes. I know i could put something under the door to hold it open
fully, but, is there a trick or tip to keeping it open without having
to re-hang it ?

Spring hinge. They come in spring open and spring close, you want the
former.

Or a magnetic doorstop.

hr(bob) [email protected] April 29th 09 01:55 AM

On Apr 28, 7:39*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:50:41 -0500, Mike Paulsen

I have a door which id like to stay open when i open it, but it slowly
closes. *I know i could put something under the door to hold it open
fully, but, *is there a trick or tip to keeping it open without having
to re-hang it ?

Spring hinge. They come in spring open and spring close, you want the
former.

Or a magnetic doorstop.

A little adjusting of the top and bottom hinges may work, I use
toothpicks under the hinges to cause/change the tilt of the door so
the autoclosing stops, or starts if I want the door to close, like a
bathroom door.

Robert Neville April 29th 09 04:46 AM

wrote:

Spring hinge. They come in spring open and spring close, you want the
former.

Or a magnetic doorstop.

Or if it's an interior door, HW stores sell an inexpensive post & clip setup
that screws into the trim board or wall and door.

LouB April 29th 09 08:48 AM

wrote:
I have a door which id like to stay open when i open it, but it slowly
closes. I know i could put something under the door to hold it open
fully, but, is there a trick or tip to keeping it open without having
to re-hang it ?

Disconnect the closer?

Stormin Mormon April 29th 09 01:19 PM

Short of rehanging a door, is there a quick way to make it NOT close on its own ?

I sense that there is something really totally funny to
reply to "instant rust". But, I'm too tired and exhausted to
think what that might be.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

charlie April 29th 09 06:46 PM

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I sense that there is something really totally funny to
reply to "instant rust". But, I'm too tired and exhausted to
think what that might be.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

urine does it for most rustable things.

proof left to the reader.

.

Albasani April 30th 09 09:49 PM

"LouB" wrote in message
I have a door which id like to stay open when i open it, but it slowly
closes. I know i could put something under the door to hold it open
fully, but, is there a trick or tip to keeping it open without having
to re-hang it ?

Disconnect the closer?

What I do is remove on hinge pin and very slightly bend it (hammer in vise).
Then replace it and it should prevent a door from gradually closing on its
own.