DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/276879-recommend-cordless-phone-will-work-during-power-failure.html)

Nate Nagel May 2nd 09 11:55 PM

Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Sat, 2 May 2009 09:52:13 -0400, "Worn Out Retread"
wrote:

A wired phone is only as good as what it is wired to...in my case it's
a cable modem so it won't do me any good if there is no power. I do
have one, and it has helped me determine if my cordless phone set is
the problem or if it's the cable co's equipment - once it was mine,
and once it was theirs. So mine comes in handy when there *is* power,
but won't help if the power goes out.

I do have 12V power supplies and inverters, so I could get the modem
up and running, but I'm not sure how far back into the cable co's
system power would be needed for me to be able to use the phone. I
guess a local outage wouldn't be a problem, but if it was widespread,
I assume that whatever the modem talks to would be down also.

As far as I know, if you have telephone over cable and the power goes down,
you're screwed until the power is restored. The same goes for cell phones
(at least in this area) no power, no cell phone. A standard old fashioned
wired phone connected to the telephone company over telephone lines will
still operate normally during a power failure.

Power went out for several days here last September (because of
hurricane Ike). A neighbor down the street has cable phone
(Suddenlink, used to be Cox). That adapter has a backup battery that
was good for all that time, but the phone didn't work after 4 hours (4
hours into the power outage) because the batteries at the cable node
ran out. It was 28 hours more before the cable company put a generator
on the node.

The standard landline phone (Verizon) I have kept working all that
time.

Are we talking about the same Verizon? the service at my last place
would go down after a light rain. Seriously. Interminable service
calls and no resolution later, I went with a cable modem and never
looked back.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Phisherman[_2_] May 10th 09 01:24 PM

Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 13:40:31 -0700 (PDT), RickH
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a
power failure? I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as
well as the handsets. I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big box
office supply stores, but all their phones fail in a power outage as
none have base-unit batteries.

Frankly I think it should be against the law to sell a cordless phone
that wont work in a power outage, but thats beside the point.

Has anyone seen a base-battery cordless phone system readily available
from the usual big box stores in the US?

It is wise to have a wired phone for emergencies. No batteries
needed.

Don Phillipson[_3_] May 10th 09 01:31 PM

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a
power failure? I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as
well as the handsets. I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big box
office supply stores, but all their phones fail in a power outage as
none have base-unit batteries.

No cordless phones are battery-powered because cell phones
have the same function and are nowadays sufficiently common
(and cell phone towers have backup power supplies, i.e. are
not solely dependent on the local electric grid.) Where power
outages are frequent, locals hereabouts prefer wired phones.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Nate Nagel May 10th 09 01:36 PM

wrote:

Can anyone recommend a cordless phone system that will work during a
power failure? I guess the base unit would have to have a battery as
well as the handsets. I checked the Staples and OfficeMax big box
office supply stores, but all their phones fail in a power outage as
none have base-unit batteries.

Frankly I think it should be against the law to sell a cordless phone
that wont work in a power outage, but thats beside the point.

Has anyone seen a base-battery cordless phone system readily available
from the usual big box stores in the US?

It is wise to have a wired phone for emergencies. No batteries
needed.

I'll get my phone turned on as soon as Verizon's montly cost for land
line services is less than that of my cell phone, and I have some
assurance that it'll ever work.

Until then, I'll take my chances. I can always charge the cell phone in
the car.

nate

[email protected] July 5th 16 12:43 AM

Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

I guess you must have really thought this witty retort out. In the grand scheme of things your intelect forgot that not everyone has cell phone reception at their residence. There is a reason its called a mobile phone not a home phone, smartass.

bob_villain July 5th 16 02:27 AM

On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:43:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I guess you must have really thought this witty retort out. In the grand scheme of things your intelect forgot that not everyone has cell phone reception at their residence. There is a reason its called a mobile phone not a home phone, smartass.

....although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs ago when this was last posted!

Ed Pawlowski July 5th 16 02:56 AM

On 7/4/2016 9:27 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:43:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I guess you must have really thought this witty retort out. In the grand scheme of things your intelect forgot that not everyone has cell phone reception at their residence. There is a reason its called a mobile phone not a home phone, smartass.

...although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs ago when this was last posted!

Took Josh a while to come up with a good reply.

danny burstein July 5th 16 03:35 AM

In Ed Pawlowski writes:

On 7/4/2016 9:27 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:43:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I guess you must have really thought this witty retort out. In the grand scheme of things your intelect forgot that not everyone has cell phone reception at their residence. There is a reason its called a mobile phone not a home phone, smartass.

...although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs ago when this was last posted!

Twenty five years ago (yes, back in the stone age) Motorola
had a line of cordless phones that did, indeed, have
battery backup in the base and would work (for a while)
in a power failure.

I had one...

Terry Coombs[_2_] July 5th 16 03:42 AM

Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

danny burstein wrote:

wrote:
I guess you must have really thought this witty retort out. In the
grand scheme of things your intelect forgot that not everyone has
cell phone reception at their residence. There is a reason its
called a mobile phone not a home phone, smartass.

...although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs
ago when this was last posted!

Twenty five years ago (yes, back in the stone age) Motorola
had a line of cordless phones that did, indeed, have
battery backup in the base and would work (for a while)
in a power failure.

I had one...

I have a corded phone that I plug in when the power goes off . Once I have
talked with our power company I can decide if it's worth the effort to fire
up the generator . If the outage is going to be less than 4 or 5 hours I
don't usually bother unless it's a hot midsummer day and I need to keep the
freezer powered or lose food .
About cell phones , there is no coverage here in The Holler , and too few
customers to make it profitable for any provider to install a tower .
--
Snag

Taxed and Spent July 5th 16 03:59 AM

On 7/4/2016 7:35 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In Ed Pawlowski writes:

On 7/4/2016 9:27 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:43:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I guess you must have really thought this witty retort out. In the grand scheme of things your intelect forgot that not everyone has cell phone reception at their residence. There is a reason its called a mobile phone not a home phone, smartass.

...although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs ago when this was last posted!

Twenty five years ago (yes, back in the stone age) Motorola
had a line of cordless phones that did, indeed, have
battery backup in the base and would work (for a while)
in a power failure.

I had one...

I keep mine plugged into the UPS. Don't want to miss any robocalls
during a power outage.

[email protected] July 5th 16 04:16 AM

Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

On Tue, 5 Jul 2016 02:35:34 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Ed Pawlowski writes:

On 7/4/2016 9:27 PM, bob_villain wrote:
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 6:43:50 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I guess you must have really thought this witty retort out. In the grand scheme of things your intelect forgot that not everyone has cell phone reception at their residence. There is a reason its called a mobile phone not a home phone, smartass.

...although there are significantly more towers today, than 7 yrs ago when this was last posted!

Twenty five years ago (yes, back in the stone age) Motorola
had a line of cordless phones that did, indeed, have
battery backup in the base and would work (for a while)
in a power failure.

I had one...

I ran the power for my kitchen phone on the second line wires, with
the "wall wart" plugged into the UPS that also powers my network
equipment. Works great.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] July 5th 16 04:38 AM

Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

On 07/04/2016 09:42 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

[snip]

I have a corded phone that I plug in when the power goes off . Once I have
talked with our power company I can decide if it's worth the effort to fire
up the generator . If the outage is going to be less than 4 or 5 hours I
don't usually bother unless it's a hot midsummer day and I need to keep the
freezer powered or lose food .
About cell phones , there is no coverage here in The Holler , and too few
customers to make it profitable for any provider to install a tower .

I have my phone connected to a UPS. The last long (5 day) power outage
was from last year's tornado, and the UPS didn't help since ALL the
wires were down. Unexpectedly, cell phones worked (except immediately
after the tornado, when they dropped a lot of calls).

BTW, that was just before 7PM and I didn't start the generator until
next day. No frozen food was lost.

BTW2, that tornado was the only time I've been in really scary weather.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Theology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas."

Micky[_3_] July 5th 16 06:40 AM

Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 21:42:45 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

I have a corded phone that I plug in when the power goes off . Once I have

I have 3 cordless phones** and a base station with a wired phone. If
the power goes out, some of the fancy functions of the base station
don't work, but the phone does.

**I like my setup so much, I bought three more extensions. The
Answer button one one of the original ones requires more pressure than
it did, and they sell kits to repair those buttons, but the
instructions are complicate, require takign the phone apart!!!, so it
was easier to buy spare extension. Readers know how che.... thrifty
I am, so the repair must have seemed really hard to me.

If the base station fails, I have another one of those somewhere, but
it uses a cordless phone. I have a standard Western Electric phone
in the basement but it's hard to reach. I'd find another phone and
plug it in .

talked with our power company I can decide if it's worth the effort to fire
up the generator . If the outage is going to be less than 4 or 5 hours I
don't usually bother unless it's a hot midsummer day and I need to keep the
freezer powered or lose food .

When there's a power failure, I just start eating. Ice cream first.
Seafood second. Even after three days, the food was fine. Everyone
in Baltimore wants compensation for lost food from the power company.
I don't get it. No one has a smaller family than I do, and I never
lose any food. Just don't open the door more than necessary.

About cell phones , there is no coverage here in The Holler , and too few
customers to make it profitable for any provider to install a tower .

I recently found another computer map program with a topo setting, and
I found out the valley I'm in is deeper than I thought. 60 feet
instead of 40.

I wouldn't notice except I think it limits the breeze. Do you see
that in your Holler?

Two cell towers only a quarter mile away, so I suspect I have a good
signal her.

--
Snag

Tad Moore July 5th 16 08:57 AM

Send the bill to the ****ing tree-huggers that just gotta plant their trees under power lines.

Terry Coombs[_2_] July 5th 16 01:27 PM

wrote:

About cell phones , there is no coverage here in The Holler , and
too few customers to make it profitable for any provider to install
a tower .

I recently found another computer map program with a topo setting, and
I found out the valley I'm in is deeper than I thought. 60 feet
instead of 40.

I wouldn't notice except I think it limits the breeze. Do you see
that in your Holler?
--
Snag

It's not as much how deep The Holler is as the fact we're 10 miles from
the nearest town in a sparsely populated area of the county . We're probably
a few hundred feet below the highest point between us and town . We have to
drive (or walk) a mile or so to high ground up on the highway to get a
signal . Doesn't seem to block the wind , but AFAIK we've never had a
tornado touch down here .

--
Snag

Micky[_3_] July 5th 16 01:42 PM

Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

wrote:

About cell phones , there is no coverage here in The Holler , and
too few customers to make it profitable for any provider to install
a tower .

I recently found another computer map program with a topo setting, and
I found out the valley I'm in is deeper than I thought. 60 feet
instead of 40.

I wouldn't notice except I think it limits the breeze. Do you see
that in your Holler?
--
Snag

It's not as much how deep The Holler is as the fact we're 10 miles from
the nearest town in a sparsely populated area of the county . We're probably

That'll do it.

a few hundred feet below the highest point between us and town . We have to
drive (or walk) a mile or so to high ground up on the highway to get a
signal . Doesn't seem to block the wind , but AFAIK we've never had a
tornado touch down here .

I don't really know if it's blocking my wind or not. Maybe my
neighbors half way up the hillls don't have much breeze either. But
I think one reason people build their homes on the *top* of hills is
to get a breeze. At least I think so.

[email protected] July 5th 16 02:46 PM

Recommend cordless phone that will work during power failure?

I know the thread is old...

beware, if you have Verizon FIOS, even your wired phone will go dead during a
power failure unless the Verizon ONT unit on the side of your house has a battery backup which Verizon feels YOU are responsible to maintain.

Ed Pawlowski July 5th 16 09:47 PM

On 7/5/2016 8:42 AM, Micky wrote:

I don't really know if it's blocking my wind or not. Maybe my
neighbors half way up the hillls don't have much breeze either. But
I think one reason people build their homes on the *top* of hills is
to get a breeze. At least I think so.

I'm halfway up a hill. The reason the house at the top was built there
is because that was the lot that was for sale. Same as mine and every
other house on the street.