Posted to alt.home.repair

Default refrigerator not cooling, compressor too hot?

We have an old (c 1980) GE 'Frost Free' fridge (freezer-on-top). Both
the freezer and the fresh-food areas cool down only to about 50F. The
evaporator fan runs, and seems OK. The evaporator coils are 'cool', but
not so cold it hurts to touch them. The defrost heater is not on.

The compressor runs, but shuts off after less than 10 mins. The
compressor is quite hot - you can touch it, but it would burn, if you
applied pressure. (The compressor fan is running, but shuts off along
with the compressor.)

Questions:
- Is that too hot for a compressor? IIRC, my father used to say that a
motor that you couldn't touch was too hot. Even if true, does the same
apply to compressors?

- Would they have a 'self-resetting' temperature cutout on the
compressor, where it would keep recyling after cooling down?

- Any other reasons why the compressor would shut off, when the freezer
is nowhere near the setpoint temp?

Thanks,
George
Posted to alt.home.repair

We have an old (c 1980) GE 'Frost Free' fridge
(freezer-on-top).

CY: Ah... generally expensive brand.

Both
the freezer and the fresh-food areas cool down only to about
50F. The
evaporator fan runs, and seems OK. The evaporator coils are
'cool', but
not so cold it hurts to touch them. The defrost heater is
not on.

CY: 50F is a bit too warm.

The compressor runs, but shuts off after less than 10 mins.
The
compressor is quite hot - you can touch it, but it would
burn, if you
applied pressure. (The compressor fan is running, but shuts
off along
with the compressor.)

Questions:
- Is that too hot for a compressor? IIRC, my father used to
say that a
motor that you couldn't touch was too hot. Even if true,
does the same
apply to compressors?

CY: I think your Dad is right. Sounds like the compressor is
running way too hot.

- Would they have a 'self-resetting' temperature cutout on
the
compressor, where it would keep recyling after cooling down?

CY: Yes, there is such a device.

- Any other reasons why the compressor would shut off, when
the freezer
is nowhere near the setpoint temp?

CY: Either too hot, or too much current draw.

Thanks,
George

CY: As you didnt ask for ideas what is the problem (or how
to solve the problem and make the fridge work again) I'll
limit myself to answering your questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:13:36 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

[...]

I opened up the junction box on the end of the compressor. There was a
two-wire thingy in there, that I suspect is a thermal switch. The next
time the compressor shut off, I hit that thing with some spray coolant,
and the compressor started. So, I think the compressor is too hot, for
whatever reason.

If you (or anyone) has more ideas, I'd be interested to hear them. To
be frank, though, we'd already been talking about getting a new fridge,
so anything more I do to this one would have to be pretty cheap.

Thanks,
George
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

George- Hide quoted text -

29 years of constant? use is pretty good, spring the $$ for a new one,
it will use enough less electricity to pay for itself in a couple of
years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

These are common symptoms of low refrigerant charge. Although that may be
the problem and can be fixed, it may not be worth it on a unit that old.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
[...]

Check 3 things; defrost timer/contacts, air circulating fan inside, then
low refrigerant charge. If left like that compressor may burn up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 9:57*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

low refrigerant charge. If left like that compressor may burn up.- Hide quoted text -

When mine was going out the service guy told me it would cost a
minimum of $100 for him to come out and just check it out. Taking it
into the shop want much cheaper. Would you pay $100 plus for a 29 year
old fridge. It sounds like the compressor has overheated several
times. It has a leak that has to be found. You could easily be looking
at a $400 to $500 bill for this thing if you repaired it.

Jimmie